Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/20 3:02 p.m.

My dad is looking for a newer truck than his 06 Chevy Silverado.  He asked me about reliability on these but I have no clue.  Anyone here know anything?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/20 3:24 p.m.

Paging NickD to the white courtesy phone...

Every one I have seen (like three of them) had sweating trans lines already.  Also, they have butt vibrators if you get close to another vehicle.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/27/20 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Just a casual observation.   Up here in the rust belt we are already seeing rust blisters on 3-4 year old trucks.  Though to be fair I know nothing about how they were maintained. If they were washed at all etc. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
11/27/20 4:21 p.m.

The new hideously jowly ones? We've had quite a few blow the oil cooler lines apart without warning at low mileage right where they crimp the rubber hose to the hard line. Bad crimps or something. The 8-speed transmissions usually have a shudder to them. Sometimes they need a torque converter but usually a fluid flush fixes that. There's like a gazillion recalls for them but largely dumb stuff like the brake pad wear indicator on the dash reading wrong, or the EBCM throwing a check engine light if it sees a wheel speed input within so many seconds after the vehicle is powered off or too much glue on the power cable terminal at the alternator. Beware, if it sits a lot or you tow with it, you will get the world's gnarliest rear brake pulsation. The electronic parking brake always applies on shut down so if the brakes are really hot when you shut it off or it just sits for a month or two it etches an imprint of the brake pad into the rotor that no amount of machining will remove

Raze (Forum Supporter)
Raze (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/27/20 4:48 p.m.

I work for GM and have had a 20 Silverado as my company vehicle going on a year now.  There were some electronic recalls dealer did, otherwise haven't had any issues with the 10speed to date.  Mine doesn't engage the electronic brake automatically on shutoff and I haven't see an option in the controls to do so, maybe it's trailering only option? My biggest complaint is the stop start is pretty intrusive in city traffic.

I also had a 2018 GMC Sierra that was just before the stop start year if it matters.  Both great trucks.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/20 5:09 p.m.

Thanks guys.  I'll pass it on to my dad.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
11/27/20 5:10 p.m.

Its too bad that GM won't let you put the 3.0L I6 Duramax in the Work Truck trim. You have to get it pretty gussied up before you can option that engine and then its a $12k option. I've driven a few of those 1500 diesels and that engine is a honey.

infernosg
infernosg New Reader
11/27/20 5:11 p.m.

We have a '19 Custom. It's basically one step above a work truck. 2WD, double cab with the 5.3L V8, 6-speed transmission and the ~6.5 ft bed. Got it because it was the best combination of towing/payload capability and price. Almost 9700 lbs towing, 1800 lb payload and about $33k out the door. We pretty much just use it for "truck stuff" like towing the track car, hauling 2 cu. yards of mulch, 300 sq ft of sod, etc so I've only put 2000 mi on it in ~1 year of ownership. Aside from the silly recalls mentioned above no issues. For a "no frills" truck it sure has a lot of creature comforts. Android Auto/Apply Carplay is an interesting feature. Pretty much makes the fancy infotainment systems pointless. Oh yeah, it's ugly as hell but it gets the job done.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/20 5:49 p.m.

In reply to Raze (Forum Supporter) :

Stop-starts never shut the engine off if you shift to Neutral at lights.

This is something I do to keep from clamping down hard on hot brake rotors.  Noticed this effect after doing brakes on a newer GM and didn't want to sit at a light with my nice smoking brake rotors.  (Gotta burn the oily residue out of the fins, donchaknow, or we'll heard about it the first time THEY get it hot)

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/27/20 5:59 p.m.

I have a '16 with some of those problems.  I had my oil cooler lines replaced - leaked at crimp fitting. 

The funny thing is we make hundreds of hydraulic hoses a week and constantly monitor our crimper and the required crimp shell OD and I'm the guy with leaking crimp fittings on my truck.  

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/27/20 6:33 p.m.

look underneath the new 2500s, they are same basic nonsense as the 2000 HD trucks.

IFS with torsion beam and rear leaf spring, pretty lame...

the rear axle looks bigger and the 10 speed is a love it or hate it, also the engines seemed to have been more refined but still very similar to the 2000 vortec but with direct injection. 

for all these reasons I went RAM however the irony is that I start at GM on Tuesday...

Raze (Forum Supporter)
Raze (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/28/20 7:11 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Raze (Forum Supporter) :

Stop-starts never shut the engine off if you shift to Neutral at lights.

This is something I do to keep from clamping down hard on hot brake rotors.  Noticed this effect after doing brakes on a newer GM and didn't want to sit at a light with my nice smoking brake rotors.  (Gotta burn the oily residue out of the fins, donchaknow, or we'll heard about it the first time THEY get it hot)

Good to know, I also just turn it off with the little button on the dash.  To be honest it's annoying, but still smoother than my wife's 19 Wrangler lol

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/28/20 7:16 a.m.

All I know about them is that I want to take a rock hammer to the headlamps whenever one gets near me.

That's not an exclusive club anymore, though.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/28/20 8:14 a.m.

Friend of mine just bought a 2020. I haven't heard any complaints. Top trim, Duramax dually 4x4.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
11/28/20 8:46 a.m.

Sorry to thread jack but.... @NickD. How are the 14-18 trucks? I want to replace my 07 NNBS that I love with a newer model thanks to bad rust. I have already went through the collapsed lifter with my 5.3. I don't want to through that again with the LT platform. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/28/20 9:05 a.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

I have a '16 Silverado LS double door, V8, 4x4 that I bought new 2/17.   

99,000 miles this week, replaced AC condenser, radiator, t-stat, wheel bearing, oil cooler lines, tranny shudders and it slams into 3rd gear when cold, surprised by the amount of surface rust starting on the frame, I cracked the headlight lower lense that is now a $900 headlight.  

Still the original brakes, it's big and easy to get into, feels right as I drive across 'Merica.  4WD works great - hauls a lot of crap.  I've bought some parts off of Craigslist at deep discounts (GM side steps, take off wheels/tires, GM aluminum skid plates, GM tonneau cover, GM floor mats, GM wheel locks)

Overall it's been a good truck but I'm not sure if I'd stay with Chevrolet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OjRtmXL1HS8rkL18tVrc2JtB56rWnYWXbEJ9MNyO76LD41huwtiqoOO4QMyWMJvU