GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/14 5:57 p.m.

I'm about to drop a mighty stack of bills on a Toyota 44240-12091. I have solid info that this is a late-model-revision PS rack for an AE92 GTZ.

Therefore, it should be 2.5 turns from lock to lock. Can anyone confirm any of this info or get more?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/16/14 6:17 p.m.

Dont have the answer, but have a question

Why do people go crazy about how many turns a rack has lock to lock? To me the important number is the ratio ... This happens in the BMW forums all the time. People obsess about the Z3 rack's ltl turns when an E46 ZHP has a smaller ratio but more travel.

GameboyRMH
4/16/14 6:25 p.m.

Actually you're right, but turns is a more convenient notation

GameboyRMH
4/17/14 7:44 a.m.

The mechanic found a bit of info last night. The earlier model, 44240-12090, is also listed for sedan models I don't think any sedans got a 2.5 turn rack...

GameboyRMH
4/17/14 12:45 p.m.

One last bump for the work surfers...

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
4/17/14 2:14 p.m.

be careful... maybe right hand drive only????

GameboyRMH
4/17/14 3:08 p.m.

Well my car's RHD so I hope it is

Good point to check that though. The pics I've seen associated with that part show a RHD rack, and I found a Russian parts site that lists it as RHD.

GameboyRMH
4/25/14 11:55 a.m.

Whoa update! Found some new part numbers that appear to be GTZ-specific: 44250-12210 (older) and 44250-12211 (newer). Think I'll take my chances on the latter, good thing my order for the -12091 is nearly a month away from being shipped!

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/25/14 1:10 p.m.
Slippery wrote: Dont have the answer, but have a question Why do people go crazy about how many turns a rack has lock to lock? To me the important number is the ratio ... This happens in the BMW forums all the time. People obsess about the Z3 rack's ltl turns when an E46 ZHP has a smaller ratio but more travel.

just get on the drift boards and tell them more turns lock to lock means you get more steering angle (turn the steering wheel more then the wheels must turn further, right?), then offer to trade your standard e36 racks for their e46 zhps straight up. with some of the e30 racks you should even be able to drift backwards!

GameboyRMH
4/25/14 1:50 p.m.

Haha with the wacky things they have to do for more lock, I'm sure they would have figured that out by now if it were true!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nn9XrpFBJyt5XDr48faBbqitFF1x2i60yPHZfY1sw8Xc2r0GOa6trySJoiolGx1V