SEADave HalfDork
Feb. 24, 2016 5:26 p.m.

I am very close to picking up the AutoEnginuity diagnostic scan tool with the "enhanced interface for Ford."

I'm hoping to be able to do dealer-level scans and tests on my 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel Excursion. My understanding is that my truck does not have a normal OBD2 interface and that generic tools, blue-tooth dongles, etc. just won't cut it. Things I am most interested in are "buzz" and cylinder contribution tests in addition to all the normal code scanning and sensor checking stuff you would get with any scan tool.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this tool? I would like to hear some feedback even if you were using it for another make/model of vehicle. This is a fairly pricey investment, but we plan on keeping the Excursion indefinitely and the basic platform can be expanded by buying modules for other vehicles in the future.

rslifkin Reader
Feb. 24, 2016 5:46 p.m.

I've got the Chrysler package for the Jeep. There's some stuff it can't do, such as interfacing with the body computer (only the dealer scan tool does that). But it does most (if not all) of the manufacturer specific diagnostic stuff (certainly goes way beyond generic OBDII for data and tests available).

For being a fraction of the price of even a used dealer scan tool, it does enough to justify its cost despite the couple of things it misses.

ultraclyde UberDork
Feb. 24, 2016 7:10 p.m.

No experience with that reader, but I've read of some people doing buzz and cylinder contribution tests with Torque Pro and Bluetooth dongle. I think it was on powerstrokenation.com My older 96 stroke reads fine with that app and a blutooth but it is the earliest iteration of OBDII so it's limited.

Brokeback Reader
Feb. 24, 2016 7:27 p.m.

I have it and used it for buzz tests and cylinder contribution tests on a 1999 7.3; if I need to I can use it to monitor other parameters and troubleshoot issues but I'm too dumb for that I also haven't had a need to do stuff like that yet.

If you were closer I'd let you borrow it - maybe see if anyone on a Ford forum is local and has the tool?

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Reader's Ride of the Week: Enviate Hypercar

13 hours ago in News

There’s fast and there’s FAST–and then there’s this thing.

Join the Grassroots Motorsports Dyno Day

3 days ago in News

Join us for a dyno day in Sterling, Virginia.

From the GRM Vault: The Art of Understatement

4 days ago in Articles

The Harvey brothers dominated autocross in an obsolete Datsun a couple decades ago.

2017 Volkswagen Golf TSI SE

4 days ago in New Car Reviews

The quintessential European hatchback continues to pour out of Volkswagen's plants. Our test car featured four doors, a turbocharged 4-cylinder ...

We're Giving Away a $500 Race Ramps Certificate

5 days ago in News

Joining the drawing is totally free.

25 Project Path

6 days ago in Articles

A walk through 25 of our favorite project cars from the past.

Our Turbo Miata Goes Boom

6 days ago in Project Cars

Engine swap and suspension revamp before our race in two weeks? Challenge accepted.

The Ultimate Weekend Getaway for Your Car Club

1 week ago in News

Save a corral space just for your club at the Mitty.

Reader's Ride of the Week: V8 Jag

1 week ago in News

It’s a long-wheelbase 1974 Jaguar XJ6 fitted with a 350-cubic-inch Chevy V8.

Honing Cylinders

1 week ago in Project Cars

We hone our LS1's cylinders

Break Maiden

1 week ago in Articles

Creating a turbocharged road racing champion from a vintage Ford Mustang.

Meet Us at Sebring

1 week ago in News

We'll be at the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring. Will you?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
S1np605yu7dgkx9rW37uDe1YziSnb5A9