G_Body_Man Dork
Nov. 30, 2015 2:00 p.m.

I’ve heard that ZZ-series engines experience a fair amount of oil blow-by. Is this also the case with 1ZZ-FEs? Also, any other tips for dealing with 1ZZ-FEs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

calteg HalfDork
Nov. 30, 2015 2:28 p.m.

Most 1ZZ's consume a bit of oil. Mine's at 110k right now. I'll overfill by 1/4 of a quart when I do oil changes, then I don't worry about it until the next oil change.

Not sure how you have to "deal" with the 1ZZ...that motor is reliable as an anvil

mndsm MegaDork
Nov. 30, 2015 2:32 p.m.

Before my divorce, i had a 1zz prism with almost a quarter mil on it. It burned oil, but that damn thing wouldn't die.

G_Body_Man Dork
Nov. 30, 2015 2:35 p.m.
calteg wrote: Most 1ZZ's consume a bit of oil. Mine's at 110k right now. I'll overfill by 1/4 of a quart when I do oil changes, then I don't worry about it until the next oil change. Not sure how you have to "deal" with the 1ZZ...that motor is reliable as an anvil

Sorry about that. Bad wording on my part.

mndsm MegaDork
Nov. 30, 2015 3:20 p.m.

Are you talking about regular care and feeding? Thats easy.

Theyrr buzzy little boxes. They like to have the nuts wrung off em from time to time. Regular oil changes are helpful, toyotas can be prone to sludging. If its anything like the last 4 corollas ive owned, youll develop an exhaust leak somewhere between the mani and the flex pipe. They all do it. Every. Single. One. Cheap gas. They can be recalcitrant to start in particularly cold climates, a good set of plugs and a deep cycle are your friend. They are swappable with the 2zz and the 6 speed. They like boost.

G_Body_Man Dork
Nov. 30, 2015 3:37 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Thanks!

Nov. 30, 2015 4:15 p.m.

Keep the oil level up if youre going to be cornering hard on sticky rubber. Precats can break up and get sucked back into the engine causing badness. Put a header on it or a turbo= solved.

calteg HalfDork
Nov. 30, 2015 4:29 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Are you talking about regular care and feeding? Thats easy. . If its anything like the last 4 corollas ive owned, youll develop an exhaust leak somewhere between the mani and the flex pipe. They all do it. Every. Single. One.

Good call. Mine developed a CEL for "small evap leak" that I've never bothered to track down. I'll look at the exhaust while I'm tracking down that evap leak

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

SCCA Announces 2017 Track Night in America Schedule

1 hour ago in News

Spend an evening at the track with SCCA this year.

A Silent Auction for Gearheads

21 hours ago in News

Lemons of Love, one of our favorite charities, is organizing an online silent auction tonight.

The Snell Game

2 days ago in Articles

Answering 8 questions about Snell helmets.

Get Our Magazine in Print and Digital for just $16.99

3 days ago in News

Now is a great time to renew or start subscribing to our magazine.

Honing In On Honing Time

4 days ago in Project Cars

We get our LS1-swapped BMW M3's block ready for honing.

Vintage Views: Jaguar XJS

5 days ago in Articles

Jaguar's E-Type was a tough act to follow, so it's no surprise its replacement, the XJS, is often overlooked.

Project Ramp Truck: Rebuilding the Engine

5 days ago in Project Cars

Time to dive into the engine rebuild in more depth.

Join Our Porsche Experience Tour

5 days ago in News

It's a back-roads adventure to the Classic Motorsports Mitty

Reader's Ride of the Week: Crash Damage to Track Day in One Month

6 days ago in News

One month and relatively low bucks for a great track car.

Adrenaline in a Shot Glass

1 week ago in Articles

Global Rallycross: Single-serving thrills and spills for a TV audience.

Recap: 24 Hours of LeMons 'Shine Country Classic

1 week ago in Project Cars

We spent two days racing at Barber Motorsports Park in our crapcan turbo Miata.

2017 Smart ForTwo Cabrio

1 week ago in New Car Reviews

We don't often venture into the realm of micro cars, but out test car this week was a 2017 Smart ...

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
bI9nJfEg0rQilZtLpLAaKhgM2A902UD4