dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/13/18 4:20 p.m.

I've got some tires to have taken off of rims and some tires I'd like to have taken off one set of rims and put on another. A regular tire shop tends to be pretty pricey for that kind of work. Does anyone close to me have a tire machine or any suggestions on reasonably priced shops to do that kind of work?

Even just the ability to take tires off rims easily would help me a ton. I don't have time or inclination to do the various hack efforts. I have 11 tires or so that I'd like to have popped off of rims. Then 4 to mount and balance.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/13/18 4:24 p.m.

I have a machine, in Heath Ohio. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/18 4:31 p.m.

I would like to get one for that same reason. Someday. 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/13/18 4:46 p.m.

I can attest to the incredible convenience of having a tire machine in your garage. A friend gave me a Corghi machine years ago. Periodically, it's a pain in the ass to move around but when you've gotta bust tires and paying 10 bucks/whack for the local tire guy to just remove the tires suddenly it isn't quite the pain you originally thought. And having Tire Rack ship the tires to the house and mounting them at your leisure is priceless.

The machine I have is probably worth a grand or so. You can find a decent used machine for 500 bucks if you look around. Just make sure you get a rim clamp machine. The old center clamp machines will bust rims as well as bust off tires.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/13/18 6:29 p.m.

I have a nice little J. C. Whitney manual bead breaker setup that I don't use any more.  You would just need to buy a pair of tire irons to go with it. And some tire mounting compound or ArmorAll.  It can be a pretty good workout mounting tires with this setup, so you could save even more money by dropping your gym membership.wink  

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/14/18 9:33 a.m.
Danny Shields said:

I have a nice little J. C. Whitney manual bead breaker setup that I don't use any more.  You would just need to buy a pair of tire irons to go with it. And some tire mounting compound or ArmorAll.  It can be a pretty good workout mounting tires with this setup, so you could save even more money by dropping your gym membership.wink  

I got one I use for doing mower/tractor tires. Mine old as E36 M3 tho. Like 1940s era. Buying a simi modern machine was the best thing I ever did. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tYRQb9TIG7bs3mYZ9JkKJmot4GZ67NTBf3JdOs0tC0AGZNKB0oa2OZYfJnwfpAfA