OEMTim
OEMTim New Reader
5/17/16 11:03 a.m.

Just curious if there are any folks in the DFW area that are interested in putting a challenge car together. I built one with my father in 2006 and had a great time at the challenge. I'm hoping to do it again. My dad is going to help, but it would be nice to put together a team of sorts. Or, if anyone has the same idea with a car they own, let me know! I currently have 3 cars that could qualify. Porsche 944, MG Midget, Merkur XR4Ti. Anyway, if there is any interest, I'd love to hear from you. Regards, Tim

thewheelman
thewheelman New Reader
5/17/16 11:08 a.m.

Oh man, if I had the time, I'd love to join in!

I know we have a few folks in the area - hopefully you can get a good crew together.

-Chris

OEMTim
OEMTim New Reader
5/17/16 11:16 a.m.

Every little bit helps! Even if you're just handing the people wrenching a beer....

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/17/16 11:42 a.m.

I don't want to derail your plans to put together a DFW team but if that should happen to not work out, please feel free to join in on the Parking Lot Build at The Challenge. Many hands and many skills are needed. The thread linked above was intended to be a welcoming roll call for any and all who might want to contribute.

What started out as the intention of building a Miata Ghettocet

Has then by page 4 of the thread evolved into the intention to build a TrailerParkCet out of a 4th Gen Firehawk Firebird.
Don't fear that we are ruining a good/rare car. It has a Cetificate of Destruction title and the VIN can never be back on the road. After The Challenge, the car will serve as a drivetrain donor to the following years Challenger.

If you can join, please try to be in Gainesville on Weds since destruction/production will begin about Noon on Weds.

Dbussey1
Dbussey1 New Reader
5/17/16 12:03 p.m.

I am very intrigued by this... but I'm unsure how much time I'd be able to commit.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
5/17/16 4:08 p.m.

I can probably join a wrench day from time to time but would not be able to go to the challenge.

Wish I myself could do a challenge car but finding time is difficult with a 2 year old.

I'm in grapevine, where abouts are you in dfw?

OEMTim
OEMTim New Reader
5/17/16 4:49 p.m.

I'm actually on the west side of Fort Worth, in Azle. Glad to see there are some Metroplex folks on here! Btw, I have a 3 and 1 year old....play date while the dads work on cars!

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/17/16 10:48 p.m.

I'm down, pm'ing you....

OEMTim
OEMTim New Reader
5/18/16 7:42 p.m.

Apparently I don't use this forum enough, because I don't know where to find my PM's.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
5/18/16 7:51 p.m.
OEMTim wrote: Apparently I don't use this forum enough, because I don't know where to find my PM's.

PM's are supposed to go direct to your email. The system doesn't like some .coms so they don't always get delivered.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
5/18/16 9:03 p.m.

Wish I were closer!

Bruce

OEMTim
OEMTim New Reader
5/18/16 10:27 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote:
OEMTim wrote: Apparently I don't use this forum enough, because I don't know where to find my PM's.
PM's are supposed to go direct to your email. The system doesn't like some .coms so they don't always get delivered.

That must be it. Or my email isn't letting it through. I get tons of spam messages.

OEMTim
OEMTim New Reader
5/18/16 10:27 p.m.
egnorant wrote: Wish I were closer! Bruce

Where are you?

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
5/19/16 11:04 a.m.
OEMTim wrote:
egnorant wrote: Wish I were closer! Bruce
Where are you?

About 200 miles east near Longview. I had an opportunity to hook up with a local (Johnny Pruitt) but could just not make it work in time or money.

I have amble resources and a yard full of candidate cars that I would like to open up to help, I feel the distance would prevent the dedication I think is required. I'm not counting myself out just yet.

Bruce

OEMTim
OEMTim New Reader
5/19/16 4:17 p.m.

I hear ya. I'm trying to find something to do with this Merkur I have. I also have a $400 LS1 sitting here. Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

CBraden
CBraden
5/19/16 5:40 p.m.

I am interested, but like others here, time constrained. Keep me posted, and if I can help I will... I am in far north burbs.

OEMTim
OEMTim New Reader
5/21/16 7:59 a.m.

Will do!

jjreyn
jjreyn New Reader
6/4/16 1:29 p.m.

I have started a reply to this thread many times in the last couple of weeks and always get called away for work before I can post it. So here I try again.....

I am also one of those that would love to be involved, but free time is rare due to family and work. Plus I live on the other side of the metroplex from you. However I can offer a couple of aluminum race seats if wanted and allowed. One is big size and one is more youth or small adult size. The bigger one has a cover with pad.

Let me know if interested and I can get the deminsions and send pics.

Hope you all do make a team and can do this.

Joe

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
6/4/16 5:47 p.m.

A whole thread of people from DFW makes me a little sad about San Antonio.. lol

fireball123
fireball123 New Reader
6/4/16 11:30 p.m.
OEMTim wrote: I hear ya. I'm trying to find something to do with this Merkur I have. I also have a $400 LS1 sitting here. Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

merkur+Ls1

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
6/6/16 7:48 a.m.

Hurst, Texas, checking in!

bigben
bigben New Reader
8/9/16 5:53 p.m.

I just found this thread and have been wanting to do a challenge car for several years now. In fact I have one that I started about a year and a half ago but haven't made it very far,but that's a story for another day. Point is, are there still people in DFW wanting to build a car for this year's event?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
trnwSLFQNQfuahhNVK1N5LWeN6oEi7DLWZnuFlZoKxChtpHkf8ClKVJhul9dsBOq