OEMTim New Reader
May 17, 2016 11:03 a.m.

Just curious if there are any folks in the DFW area that are interested in putting a challenge car together. I built one with my father in 2006 and had a great time at the challenge. I'm hoping to do it again. My dad is going to help, but it would be nice to put together a team of sorts. Or, if anyone has the same idea with a car they own, let me know! I currently have 3 cars that could qualify. Porsche 944, MG Midget, Merkur XR4Ti. Anyway, if there is any interest, I'd love to hear from you. Regards, Tim

thewheelman New Reader
May 17, 2016 11:08 a.m.

Oh man, if I had the time, I'd love to join in!

I know we have a few folks in the area - hopefully you can get a good crew together.

-Chris

OEMTim New Reader
May 17, 2016 11:16 a.m.

Every little bit helps! Even if you're just handing the people wrenching a beer....

JohnRW1621 MegaDork
May 17, 2016 11:42 a.m.

I don't want to derail your plans to put together a DFW team but if that should happen to not work out, please feel free to join in on the Parking Lot Build at The Challenge. Many hands and many skills are needed. The thread linked above was intended to be a welcoming roll call for any and all who might want to contribute.

What started out as the intention of building a Miata Ghettocet

Has then by page 4 of the thread evolved into the intention to build a TrailerParkCet out of a 4th Gen Firehawk Firebird.
Don't fear that we are ruining a good/rare car. It has a Cetificate of Destruction title and the VIN can never be back on the road. After The Challenge, the car will serve as a drivetrain donor to the following years Challenger.

If you can join, please try to be in Gainesville on Weds since destruction/production will begin about Noon on Weds.

Dbussey1 New Reader
May 17, 2016 12:03 p.m.

I am very intrigued by this... but I'm unsure how much time I'd be able to commit.

May 17, 2016 4:08 p.m.

I can probably join a wrench day from time to time but would not be able to go to the challenge.

Wish I myself could do a challenge car but finding time is difficult with a 2 year old.

I'm in grapevine, where abouts are you in dfw?

OEMTim New Reader
May 17, 2016 4:49 p.m.

I'm actually on the west side of Fort Worth, in Azle. Glad to see there are some Metroplex folks on here! Btw, I have a 3 and 1 year old....play date while the dads work on cars!

Ojala HalfDork
May 17, 2016 10:48 p.m.

I'm down, pm'ing you....

OEMTim New Reader
May 18, 2016 7:42 p.m.

Apparently I don't use this forum enough, because I don't know where to find my PM's.

Andy Neuman HalfDork
May 18, 2016 7:51 p.m.
OEMTim wrote: Apparently I don't use this forum enough, because I don't know where to find my PM's.

PM's are supposed to go direct to your email. The system doesn't like some .coms so they don't always get delivered.

egnorant SuperDork
May 18, 2016 9:03 p.m.

Wish I were closer!

Bruce

OEMTim New Reader
May 18, 2016 10:27 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote:
OEMTim wrote: Apparently I don't use this forum enough, because I don't know where to find my PM's.

PM's are supposed to go direct to your email. The system doesn't like some .coms so they don't always get delivered.

That must be it. Or my email isn't letting it through. I get tons of spam messages.

OEMTim New Reader
May 18, 2016 10:27 p.m.
egnorant wrote: Wish I were closer! Bruce

Where are you?

egnorant SuperDork
May 19, 2016 11:04 a.m.
OEMTim wrote:
egnorant wrote: Wish I were closer! Bruce

Where are you?

About 200 miles east near Longview. I had an opportunity to hook up with a local (Johnny Pruitt) but could just not make it work in time or money.

I have amble resources and a yard full of candidate cars that I would like to open up to help, I feel the distance would prevent the dedication I think is required. I'm not counting myself out just yet.

Bruce

OEMTim New Reader
May 19, 2016 4:17 p.m.

I hear ya. I'm trying to find something to do with this Merkur I have. I also have a $400 LS1 sitting here. Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

CBraden
CBraden None
May 19, 2016 5:40 p.m.

I am interested, but like others here, time constrained. Keep me posted, and if I can help I will... I am in far north burbs.

OEMTim New Reader
May 21, 2016 7:59 a.m.

Will do!

jjreyn New Reader
June 4, 2016 1:29 p.m.

I have started a reply to this thread many times in the last couple of weeks and always get called away for work before I can post it. So here I try again.....

I am also one of those that would love to be involved, but free time is rare due to family and work. Plus I live on the other side of the metroplex from you. However I can offer a couple of aluminum race seats if wanted and allowed. One is big size and one is more youth or small adult size. The bigger one has a cover with pad.

Let me know if interested and I can get the deminsions and send pics.

Hope you all do make a team and can do this.

Joe

Vigo PowerDork
June 4, 2016 5:47 p.m.

A whole thread of people from DFW makes me a little sad about San Antonio.. lol

fireball123
fireball123 New Reader
June 4, 2016 11:30 p.m.
OEMTim wrote: I hear ya. I'm trying to find something to do with this Merkur I have. I also have a $400 LS1 sitting here. Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

merkur+Ls1

DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
June 6, 2016 7:48 a.m.

Hurst, Texas, checking in!

bigben
bigben New Reader
Aug. 9, 2016 5:53 p.m.

I just found this thread and have been wanting to do a challenge car for several years now. In fact I have one that I started about a year and a half ago but haven't made it very far,but that's a story for another day. Point is, are there still people in DFW wanting to build a car for this year's event?

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Follow Us to the Nürburgring

3 days ago in News

Follow along as James Clay from BimmerWorld contests his first ADAC Zurich 24-Hour race at the Nürburgring.

Shark Bite: Back in 1997, Hyundai Was Into Rally

3 days ago in Articles

A Hyundai Tiburon as a rally car?

You Need This: Mazda RX-7 Turbo II Roller

3 days ago in News

What would you do with an empty RX-7 tub?

From the GRM Vault: Our First Drive of the Original BMW M3

4 days ago in Articles

We tested BMW's E30-chassis M3 back in 1989. Here's what we thought.

Great Moments in $2000 Challenge History: Minor Gasser

4 days ago in Articles

Here's what happens when you put a Chevy 350 in a Morris Minor.

What’s the Soonest That You Have Raced Your New Purchase?

4 days ago in News

This BMW M3 was wearing numbers 24 hours after getting registered.

You Need This: 2005 Lotus Elise

5 days ago in News

A Lotus Elise looks so right in British Racing Green.

2017 Mazda MX-5 RF

5 days ago in New Car Reviews

We're big fans of the Mazda MX-5. Now Mazda went and put a retractable fastback on their fourth-generation car. So, ...

Project Ramp Truck: Installing Sound Deadening

5 days ago in Project Cars

Time to cut down on heat and road noise making its way into the cab.

Eric Foss Sets Fastest Time Ever at the Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge

6 days ago in News

47 of the country's fastest cars battled it out for track supremacy.

Who Wants to Design the Next GRM T-Shirt?

6 days ago in News

Blipshift is involved, so you know that it will be cool.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Improving Upon the Ultimate Driving Machine

6 days ago in News

This E36-chassis M3 just keeps getting better.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
VTBgeblVcHOh5CfeyP7Q3UcKio92sebY