BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
4/22/19 8:16 p.m.

My boss has been talking about building one for the past week. So far his plans involve Audi R8 transaxle and LS based power, maybe a Merc marine V8 for overhead cam and all the revs. Mostly it’s in the daydreaming stage so far but he might actually do it.

Anyway, has anyone heard of a successful awd exo skeleton build? If not, is there a reason it hasn’t happened?

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/22/19 8:25 p.m.

Do it.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/22/19 8:28 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
4/22/19 8:45 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

Ooh, forgot about that one. Thanks!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/23/19 8:51 a.m.

nobody does Audi exo cars because the body is the only good part!cheeky

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
4/23/19 1:29 p.m.
Robbie said:

nobody does Audi exo cars because the body is the only good part!cheeky

I'd also say chassis balance will not be favorable with the engine so out front of the trans and a light body on the other end, probably like a reversed dune buggy/sand rail.

regardless I'm all for it

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/19 1:34 p.m.

I have kicked around the idea of taking a Subaru and installing a Subarugears reverse final drive in the trans. Flip the front diff over and you've got a rear engined 4WD drivetrain. It's been done a few times with Manx buggies, but I'd want to build a tube frame for it.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/23/19 2:12 p.m.

Isn't the chicken hill climb car also awd and pretty exo?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/23/19 2:17 p.m.

Why not an awd transfer case behung an ls1 and 4l60e? Then you can do mid mounted, high boost, awd. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/23/19 2:22 p.m.

Does an exo Huracan count? 

spandak
spandak Reader
4/23/19 3:22 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Holy crap that is awesome

Eric Kilber
Eric Kilber New Reader
4/23/19 5:20 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

Get a original mini and install one of the minitec(superfastminis.com) AWD coversions and with a weld in roll bar it may as well be an exocar

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/23/19 7:29 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I have kicked around the idea of taking a Subaru and installing a Subarugears reverse final drive in the trans. Flip the front diff over and you've got a rear engined 4WD drivetrain. It's been done a few times with Manx buggies, but I'd want to build a tube frame for it.

Get out of my brain!

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/19 7:53 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Yeah, but then you’d have a car that sounded like the impending approach of a moron.  You’re not a moron.  Sorry, the unequal header on those just sounds terrible to me.  Like two Harley’s fighting over the last slice of pizza at CiCi’s.

For that much work, a Kennedy Adapter and an Audi 016/01E box would work without the additional work inside the box.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/19 10:32 p.m.

If the unequal length header sound is a problem, then install equal length headers! Make it sound like a VW. 

The reverse rotation gear sets aren’t that much effort to install. I’ve done one for my Vanagon which now has a rear Subaru engine and will shortly have a 6-speed gearbox. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/19 11:34 p.m.
Stefan said:

Like two Harley’s fighting over the last slice of pizza at CiCi’s.

That is amazing visual imagery, Stefan!  I love it!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
4/24/19 7:03 a.m.

How about a 6.0 Yukon Denali (I had two totaled on me)? They’re all awd. You remove the body and build an exo cage that seats 4. Add turbo (or two).

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/24/19 7:29 a.m.
Stefan said:
Keith Tanner said:

Yeah, but then you’d have a car that sounded like the impending approach of a moron.  You’re not a moron.  Sorry, the unequal header on those just sounds terrible to me.  Like two Harley’s fighting over the last slice of pizza at CiCi’s.

For that much work, a Kennedy Adapter and an Audi 016/01E box would work without the additional work inside the box.

You can buy an equal-length header for the STi.

But then again, I happen to like the weird offbeat sound of the unequal-length header.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/24/19 7:33 a.m.
z31maniac said:
Stefan said:
Keith Tanner said:

You can buy an equal-length header for the STi.

But then again, I happen to like the weird offbeat sound of the unequal-length header.

I was always a fan of that unique rumbly noise as well. The new WRX's with the factory equal length manifolds sound terrible, I thought.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4Fzns0rf6qDYwBrHf9QH4CBeonpxniH7KUKQxzyZ7k6P5IVY8YzKQfKRKUDy7Pun