camshaftprelube
camshaftprelube New Reader
8/19/12 2:51 p.m.

Because that's where my wife and sister are both broken down, in my wife's '05 MINI (standard, non-S). I'm pretty sure that the alternator has taken a E36 M3, and my wife has spun a few wrenches in her time, but it looks like the freakin' intake manifold has to come off (per the Robert Bentley manual). This looks semi-easy, but she's just got a basic socket set, the right front wheel and inner fender liner may have to come out to get to the belt tensioner, etc etc.

Could anyone down that way possibly give her a hand? I'm sure we could compensate you for your time.

camshaftprelube
camshaftprelube New Reader
8/19/12 2:52 p.m.

They have a replacement alternator too.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/19/12 7:04 p.m.

Hook a brother up if you can. Eric/camshaftprelube, is a member of misfit toys and co-driver in BABE rally for me on more than one occasion. If it was your wife broke down in his neck of the woods I know he'd be out there fixing it, so if anyone is close enough to lend a hand please do.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
8/19/12 7:31 p.m.

That sucks, any connections on the MINI forums ?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/19/12 7:36 p.m.

Any updates? How did it all come out and how are they doing? Curious minds want to know. Sorry I couldn't help, I am in Michigan.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/19/12 7:39 p.m.

I don't have any friends out that direction that wouldn't have already seen this, or a phone call would be made. Hope this works out.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
8/20/12 11:44 a.m.

To far away to help but I feel your pain , no help from the MINI community? they are usually a fairly tight bunch from what I have seen of them.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
8/20/12 11:50 a.m.

Is the alternator spinning, or just not charging? I've sent this thread to a few people.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
8/20/12 11:58 a.m.

Dang. I had some friends up in Charlotte at the SCCA race, but they drove back yesterday afternoon.

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
8/20/12 12:23 p.m.

I wish that I could help, but I'm about 4hours from there. Have they gotten anywhere w/ the car yet? I wanna say that there is a small garage on Hwy105 near Banner Elk,NC. And I know that there is a Ford dealership in Boone. Not sure how far they are away, though.

JAMaw
JAMaw
8/21/12 6:36 a.m.

In reply to camshaftprelube: I was just sent an email from a buddy asking me to check this post. I live in Boone and would be glad to help but I would guess by now you have it all under control. Let me know if I can help.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
8/21/12 11:02 a.m.

Welcome JAMaw, Boone looks like a neat place, poor choice for a breakdown though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TTWQilWOObHxOjTSFFgv9GInrrv6IrDFvS91yLHcSQECuSDhj7k1XzRYPNfE3FNH