fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
9/17/08 6:47 p.m.

How feasible would it be to do in a '99 manual tranny Max? What about gauges and other PCM controlled stuff? What were the good MS sites again?

Just toying with ideas....

cwh
cwh Dork
9/17/08 7:07 p.m.

I had wondered about doing that to an L28T. What would the advantages be?

Raze
Raze New Reader
9/18/08 7:59 a.m.

google search: "megasquirt vq30"

feasibility = feasible, how much time do you have and is it your DD? If you answered "only a few hours here or there, and yes" then don't bother, otherwise dive in...

sometimes you can reuse gauges if someone has figured it out, most replace w/aftermarket gauges. We went aftermarket for simplicity and ease of use, plus we added alot more gauges!

MS gives complete control over your fuel and VE tables, add MSnS (n' Spark) and you have spark control, you also have injector pulse width control w/MS, basically everything's on the table, or can be made to be on the table with some modifications. For an N/A engine tuning is cake and the advantages less than on forced induction, but both can be setup to run MAP instead of MAF, i.e. get rid of emissions junk :). It's also nice to be able to dial in your tune to a given AFR (as long as you have a wideband if you're boosted) so you can play around to get 'peak' power out of your combo. If you make big power adder changes, injector upgrades, cam changes, port and polish, etc you can retune to take advantage of these benefits with only a little driving time. It's relativley cheap, our kit was $350 and we got a 3-bar wideband O2 w/digital display for $150. Piggybacking a stock ECU can be as much or more with less flexibility...

Goodluck!

good resources:
www.megamanual.com www.msefi.com www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra_Manual_Index.htm megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra www.DIYAutoTune.com

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
9/18/08 11:06 a.m.

I've seen all kinds of Nissans Megasquirted. The biggest hitch is their oddball trigger wheel pattern, so most users put a Ford style 36-1 trigger on the crank pulley. Usually on later cars you'd put the MS in charge of the fuel and ignition, and leave the stock ECU controlling the rest.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fs61dQPFXm9QkHBWUghqX20A8Zfsy26zFUrVOKX9FhaOm91Oa7aIFpvKl3hZqkBb