1 2 3
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/16 1:33 p.m.

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/5395804010.html

This was posted in the hotlink forum. I'm interested. I need to know if there is any chance it will make it 1100+ miles back to Charleston, SC and how bad the rust is.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/13/16 2:42 p.m.

Aussie's gonna give you so much E36 M3 over this.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
1/13/16 2:58 p.m.

WOW! It looks like the door is made out of reclaimed barn wood and hardware.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
1/13/16 3:01 p.m.

I want you to buy this so you can start another badass build thread.

Buy it!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/13/16 3:24 p.m.
Scottah wrote: I want you to buy this so you can start another badass build thread.

Here, Here!

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/13/16 3:29 p.m.

I might be able to go look at it. Did you contact the seller and stuff like that yet?

Toyman01
1/13/16 4:05 p.m.

I talked to him this afternoon. Let me get to a computer and I'll tell you the story.

Toyman01
1/13/16 5:15 p.m.

I've got a actual keyboard now, here's the scoop.

The bus originated in the Pacific North West. It was bought by a Vietnam vet after the war that wanted to disappear. He converted it and lived it in for 15-20 years. It was then bought by a guy in Chicago. The Chicago owner modernized the drive train with a 70s era engine, 2 speed rear axle and modern wheels and tires. That was 12 years ago, and it sat for 12 years. Then the current owner bought it. He got it running, fiddled with it some, and decided to do something else. It runs, drives, stops. He says it drives very well for a 57 year old bus. He has only put about 30-40 miles on it since he bought it so he's not willing to say it will make a 1100 mile drive to South Carolina.

I'm seriously thinking about a fly and drive or a drive and drive with a truck load of tools.

Toyman01
1/13/16 5:19 p.m.

Oh, and the biggest problem so far, it has no heat. Google says it was 16 in WI today.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/13/16 5:26 p.m.

You've got friends all along the way to Chicago. We can help if you need it.

Toyman01
1/13/16 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

That thought crossed my mind. I actually checked the roadside assist map before I ever called the guy.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/13/16 6:33 p.m.

If you plan accordingly, you can meet up with us in south bend in Feb.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
1/13/16 6:37 p.m.

I keep imagining this. Go for it.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/13/16 6:41 p.m.

Oh can I come on the fly and drive? That thing looks fun as hell.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UltraDork
1/13/16 6:59 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Oh, and the biggest problem so far, it has no heat. Google says it was 16 in WI today.

It didn't get that warm in Milwaukee... I only saw 14. It was -4, this morning, when I went to work at 5:30am. Bring your longjohns.

But, seriously, I don't know if I'll have a chance to get there soon, however, I'd love to help out any way I can. I'm about 40 minutes away from it.

vwfreek
vwfreek New Reader
1/13/16 7:08 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Oh, and the biggest problem so far, it has no heat. Google says it was 16 in WI today.

Just crank up the gas stove, that should provide some heat.

Toyman01
1/13/16 7:13 p.m.

In reply to RealMiniParker:

It's supposed to have some kind of "furnace." Probably propane fired, probably not working, and probably not something you want to run while driving.

I've got a couple of old heater cores and some 12V muffin fans. That and 10' of heater hose and I can cobble up something to get some heat. It won't be pretty, but it will produce heat.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/13/16 7:23 p.m.

A propane "buddy heater" might work too. I don't think you'll have to worry about venting.

Drivetrain-wise, it "should" make it. Can't wait to read about the trip!

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/13/16 8:32 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

You might want to plan on picking up a 12v electric heater or 2, plus extra wiring to run it off the battery with a fuse, just to keep the windows defrosted. Probably a good idea to buy it in Wisconsin rather than packing it in your carry-on though.

Toyman01
1/13/16 8:53 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

I can rent a car, one way, for the price of two airline tickets. I'm thinking about driving up with all kinds of supplies and driving the bus back. That way I can haul a large assortment of tools and materials I might need.

I'm going to call the owner again tomorrow and ask about lights and get him to shoot me a couple of more pictures of the engine and back of the bus. If nothing looks too odd, I'm pretty sure I'll be sending him a deposit.

The road trip will take a couple of weeks to pull together. It will either be a epic road trip to be remembered through the ages, or an utter disaster that will be whispered about in the dark corners of GRM for years to come. Should be fun.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/13/16 9:02 p.m.

I think you are underestimating just how poorly the door is going to seal. I think at 50mph you are going to have significant amounts of 14 degree air rushing in. No heater will keep up.
Notice, that door is not really on the side of the vehixle, it's more so angled to the front.

Toyman01
1/13/16 9:03 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Already considered.

Two words.

Duct tape.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/13/16 9:07 p.m.

Okay, but it's your only door. Tape applied every time it opens?

Toyman01
1/13/16 9:08 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

There is a door in the back of the bus as well. Seen here.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/13/16 9:15 p.m.

Ah, I missed the back door.

No wiper blade and in best case, only one.
Also notice that the passenger side mirror is merely ceremonial considering how far the mounting location is behind the driver.
I'm guessing that mirror is for the copilot who also has to get out of his seat to get a view through it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hEKRvtKVW07ZBHFICwmd15BENUOouHz22Zl37XoWcesZns1WwmVzijUnnWLHnqqg