Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
10/26/16 5:19 p.m.

Today I found the reason my car has been vibrating over 40 MPH, I have two tires with shifted belts. Yea . So looking for replacements I found Firestone Firehawk on clearance (much cheaper than the next no name tire) but they say to not use them in snow and below freezing temperatures, well all of that stuff is on the way in the next few weeks. So my question is will these tire stick to the road or will I be driving on hockey pucks till spring?

Thanks, Paul

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
10/26/16 5:43 p.m.

Yeah, they're not going to stick. At all.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GlYEMH10Z4s

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
10/26/16 8:36 p.m.

Don't those warning usually indicate the tire can actually come apart if driven on in freezing conditions?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/26/16 8:50 p.m.

I've driven uhp, exp, and all manner of summer tire in snow. It's not a good idea.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/26/16 8:59 p.m.

The reason they are on clearance probably has something to do with the fact that they will be useless for the next six months. Summer tires are awful in cold temps, snow is even worse.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
10/26/16 9:34 p.m.

Rubber compounds have a physical feature known as a glass transition temperature, below which the mechanical properties of the rubber change significantly...so, yeah...hockey pucks.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
10/26/16 10:53 p.m.

So much for being a cheap ass. This time.

Thanks for the input.

Paul B

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/16 12:40 a.m.

In reply to Donebrokeit:

Winter tread recaps can be had fairly cheap, at least around here. You could see if you have local stores that sell them.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/16 5:51 a.m.
FSP_ZX2 wrote: Rubber compounds have a physical feature known as a glass transition temperature, below which the mechanical properties of the rubber change significantly...so, yeah...hockey pucks.

I had a set of Eagle STs that turned into Big Wheel tires at anything under 45F. That was an interesting learning experience. Less grip on clean, dry asphalt than most snow/ice tires have on hardpack.

I got stuck in some light hail yesterday with the Comp2s. They didn't glass over yet but I may have preheated the front tires a little bit

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
10/27/16 6:36 a.m.

Literally hockey pucks.

https://youtu.be/qg3z4spNS9E

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/16 11:46 a.m.

I think I've driven my Cramit on frozen/snowy surfaces maybe 3 times on the crappy Fuzion summer tires it came with. Do not recommend. One of those occasions I got hopelessly stuck on a patch of ice maybe 2 ft long in my driveway. Let the clutch out without giving any throttle in 1st, wheel spin. 2nd, wheel spin. 3rd...And so on, all the way through 0.5:1 6th.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
10/27/16 12:55 p.m.

Firehawk 500 W/O's on my Mustang GT = get stuck on flat ground if there's snow in the same zip code. Horrible. Laughably bad.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/27/16 6:23 p.m.

Had a set on my Saturn. Worked just fine in the summer, put them on a little to soon one spring...on hell no....

maj75
maj75 Reader
10/27/16 8:34 p.m.

I had a set of the old bias ply Firestone Wide Ovals on my '72 GTO with a 4speed. Lived in the snow belt of Northern Indiana. G70 15 and L50 15 front and rear. Drove that baby every day. Just got to have discipline using the gas pedal!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yGsxETody3O7YUd7QP9wWmUu1HAw4ThcP1opFKIVwnOv1HWSO7lTxA50DPr9CTEn