Duende
Duende New Reader
10/22/08 10:46 p.m.

Just curious as to how they're working out there in the real world. Not entirely too sure how they work and someone today was talking about the improved fuel mileage and acceleration with the "additional" gears.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
10/22/08 10:50 p.m.

huh?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy New Reader
10/22/08 11:29 p.m.

are you talking about the planetery gear driven over drive unit that stacks onto the back of a regular transmision? I have no experience with them, but if that is what you are talking about, they have been around for a long time.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/23/08 5:58 a.m.

Never used one, but well regarded in the towing scene. It's a gear splittler and the concept is rather proven.

Evan_R
Evan_R New Reader
10/23/08 1:22 p.m.

No question they do work. It's licensed (and modernized!) version of the Laycock de Normanville overdrive unit found on countless LBC & Volvos.

Thing is, the kits start around $1800 and then you've got to pay to get your driiveshaft shortened. For that dough, you'll need to save a LOT of fuel.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/24/08 11:49 a.m.

I had one for years in a 66 Bonneville tow rig. I never had a load of luck with saving fuel with 508 cubes and an 800 cfm carb, but it was bulletproof. I chose it for several reasons. I towed a lot with that car and I needed an OD that I could tow with. For about $2000 I could have bought a 4L80E, adapted it to the Caddy 500, and run a computer. But, I couldn't tow in OD. Instead (for about $2000) I ran the GVOD which can run all day towing, plus I had the added engineering simplicity of the mechanical tranny instead of a 4L80E that required sensors, wiring, computer, and all kinds of junk.

They are used behind the Scheid Diesel dragster that puts out somewhere north of 3600 lb-ft of torque through a 4.6:1 Lenco first gear. That is 16560 lb ft of torque and its gone down the track several hundred times.

They really are an intensely robust unit. Shifting is firm, like a TH400 with a shift kit. You can fine tune the shift firmness by deviating from the recommended oil viscosity, but you run the risk of additional wear.

Really killer unit. Is it worth it? Maybe. I think its market weakness is that its TOO much overkill. Its way to much fuss, strength, and cost to have a real place in the market.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
10/24/08 12:41 p.m.

Is there any truth to what I have heard from several people that going downhill with a heavy load and letting compression braking slow you down will quickly fry the gear vendors unit? Other than that I havent ever heard anything bad about them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NcBIbOQlBJl0DT3uwoyWuqzhkgEj1cCsaEjHpWBk1nYFDMU4eOyWXYyg9hGz1Ykw