1 2 3
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
3/27/13 9:10 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote:
Tom Suddard wrote: WTF are engagement photos?
They are how you, the photographer, pay for new camera equipment.

I figured; I'll have to text a buddy of mine about a new service we could offer!

Fun fact: I shot a halloween wedding once. The couple was weird as berkeley, and so were the wedding attendees. I think I took two showers that night to try and forget it all. At least they paid in cash!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/27/13 9:23 p.m.

Laugh all you want, we scored some cool stuff upon our engagement. We didn't do the photos, though--just announcements, if I remember correctly.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/13 9:33 p.m.

you all are making me very happy to be single

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
3/27/13 10:05 p.m.

Yep, we went to Vegas, had only moms/dads and their other halves their. Got married at The Little White Wedding Chapel, went back and partied on the strip all night.

A few months later we had a massive BBQ/Kegger at her mom's house and told everyone F--- the presents, just show up and party.

Been married 3 years and together almost 7, seems to be working.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
3/27/13 10:49 p.m.

"Grassroots WeddingSports"

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/27/13 11:05 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again, the wedding, and the craziness leading up to it have no bearing on the quality of the relationship that follows.

I'm not sure I agree.

I think there is an inverse relationship... the exceedingly poor quality of the relationship is directly and exponentially related to the cost and complexity of the wedding and associated madness.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
3/27/13 11:21 p.m.

I got married during a race weekend. She raced her car, I raced mine, then we got hitched at a nearby winery.

It's all about choosing the right woman.

Grasshopper.

(Can't gloat too much, it was my second choice. And the first one was bad. Real bad).

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
3/28/13 12:11 a.m.

Sounds like an "invented" thing to spend money on, like Sweetest day.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/28/13 12:45 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again, the wedding, and the craziness leading up to it have no bearing on the quality of the relationship that follows.
I'm not sure I agree. I think there is an inverse relationship... the exceedingly poor quality of the relationship is directly and exponentially related to the cost and complexity of the wedding and associated madness.

Nah. Been to weddings that cost a fortune from folks who probably couldn't afford it. Marriage is great; relationship one of the strongest I've seen. Been to weddings that had the reception at the county fairgrounds (btw--demo derby=awesome reception) and have ended in divorce.

Don't forget though, sometimes it isn't the couple, but the family. My future mother in law is going to be mother of bridezilla. I'm planning on staying 100% out of it unless they're going to require my girlfriend and I to pay for a significant portion of it. In that case, any time that she makes a suggestion that Molly and I don't like, I can simply say that she (future MIL) is footing the bill for that part of it.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
3/28/13 5:52 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Sounds like an "invented" thing to spend money on, like Sweetest day.

I had to look that one up, apparently its used by people in the midwest as another excuse to eat candy.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/28/13 6:03 a.m.

We got married in a lawyers office on the way out of town. Her mother is still pissed about it. It cost $20. That was 27 years ago. We only dated 5 weeks, so engagement photos were out.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/28/13 6:09 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
Appleseed wrote: Sounds like an "invented" thing to spend money on, like Sweetest day.
I had to look that one up, apparently its used by people in the midwest as another excuse to eat candy.

You cant just call it "Chocolate and Pixie Stick Day" can you?

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/28/13 6:58 a.m.

let me guess. "Engagement Photos" are something professional photographers came up with to get extra money out of people... (Just callin' it as I see it...) As if the getting married thing was not expensive enough anyway...

Scott

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/28/13 7:22 a.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: "Grassroots WeddingSports"

I also tried to convince her Road Atlanta would be a great place for engagement photos...

Oh well she puts up with me and encourages me do racing and stuff so I can't complain too much.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
3/28/13 7:49 a.m.

Count me into the wedding planning insanity.

We had our venue book out from under us (so much for our reservation) so we just went back to the drawing board.

Thankfully, my fiance is wanting to simplify and we are slashing our guest list from ~115 to 50 and looking at a smaller and MUCH cheaper venue.

Engagement photos? only our own snapshots. Frugal women rock!

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/28/13 7:57 a.m.
noddaz wrote: let me guess. "Engagement Photos" are something professional photographers came up with to get extra money out of people... (Just callin' it as I see it...) As if the getting married thing was not expensive enough anyway... Scott

Hmm, I suppose I need to increase my photographer portfolio from only automobiles to "engagement photos" as well.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/28/13 8:17 a.m.

Popped right into my head, "Dayum, she's gonna be huge in 15 years".

Rob_Mopar wrote:
moparman76_69 wrote: In reply to Tom Suddard: There are much better examples obviously.
The Eagles "Life in the Fast Lane" started going through my head looking at that photo.
Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
3/28/13 8:21 a.m.

Wife and I got engagement pix. Great way to get to know our wedding photographer and great way for us to spend some time in front of the camera acting "cute". That being said, we never look at them. LOL

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
3/28/13 10:23 a.m.

we did engagement photos: i took pictures of the ring for insurance, and to prove to my buddies i found one with low enough standards to say yes. she also had family all over the world.

our wedding was done for right a 2250. thats with her and my mother inviting everone ever. i wore my boots, and drifted a vette convertable out of the church parking lot. buddy of mine smoked a pig for the reception. weve been married 7 years, and been to much more expensive weddings than ours. best one was my friends two weeks ago. open bar, preacher did the scene from princess bride, and we raced go-carts afterwards. it was awsome.

remember, OP, the best advice i was ever given about my marriage: how important is it. is it worth picking a fight? or is it weasier just to___." that advice saved my marriage. it was about housekeeping and my auto activities. we no longer fight about it. it just aint that damn important.

michael

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/28/13 10:27 a.m.

Yeah, but that's like saying, "Sure that car's hot now, but it'll be rusty in 15 years!".

914Driver wrote: Popped right into my head, "Dayum, she's gonna be huge in 15 years".
Rob_Mopar wrote:
moparman76_69 wrote: In reply to Tom Suddard: There are much better examples obviously.
The Eagles "Life in the Fast Lane" started going through my head looking at that photo.
pres589
pres589 SuperDork
3/28/13 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

That's definitely one way to define "winning". Sounds nice!

Hal
Hal Dork
3/28/13 11:11 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
I'm not sure I agree. I think there is an inverse relationship... the exceedingly poor quality of the relationship is directly and exponentially related to the cost and complexity of the wedding and associated madness.

I'm with SVreX. Three of our friends went the big fancy wedding route. We had a small wedding with just family and the reception was at her parents house with lots of my mother-in-laws good home cooking. Those friends have all been divorced for some time now and we are still together after 45 years,

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
3/28/13 11:11 a.m.

I know what engagement photos are, but WTF is "Sweetest day"?

We didn't do engagement photos, as it seemed like a waste of time and money. We had a pro photographer friend do our wedding photos (at a DEEP discount), a good friend's mom and step dad catered, another friend's mom did the flowers, we did our own music, planned everything, set up tables, etc., and it was STILL berkeleying expensive. I can't imagine how people do it the "normal" way. Now that the house is paid off, I don't plan on putting myself in debt ever again, unless it's to buy another house or something.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
3/28/13 11:25 a.m.

Just tell her, that you will be at the Mitty, and it is OK with you, to Photoshop you, into whatever.... yea!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/28/13 11:51 a.m.
16vCorey wrote: I know what engagement photos are, but WTF is "Sweetest day"? We didn't do engagement photos, as it seemed like a waste of time and money. We had a pro photographer friend do our wedding photos (at a DEEP discount), a good friend's mom and step dad catered, another friend's mom did the flowers, we did our own music, planned everything, set up tables, etc., and it was STILL berkeleying expensive. I can't imagine how people do it the "normal" way. Now that the house is paid off, I don't plan on putting myself in debt ever again, unless it's to buy another house or something.

Parents are paying apparently. The in-laws had money saved for it apparently.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wi24NQO3o4VV3SpMmGnxmkqOyK9Ji40k7DAsdB9ix8Sbk6mnsMA42R1tpdPDGhrB