1 2 3
TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
4/17/14 3:35 p.m.

I've owned a '67 convertible, '66 coupe, '85 convertible, and now an '08 fastback.

Looking for a '67 (or maybe '68 fastback) next. That one I'll hold onto 'til I'm gone.

Happy Birthday Mustang ! Nice job ! ! !

ncjay
ncjay HalfDork
4/17/14 3:43 p.m.

http://www.cityofkannapolis.com/mustangevent/ Supposed to be around 800 Mustangs rolling past the house Friday night. That should be freakin' awesome.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely New Reader
4/17/14 4:40 p.m.

All the Mustangs I have owned some people don't consider to be true Mustangs.

My first car was a '77 Mustang II 2.3L 4 speed.

The newest car I ever bought was a '89 Mustang LX 2.3L 5 speed (bought 1 year old).

My current daily driver is a '00 Mustang 3.8L 5 speed.

Sorry no pics.

Slowlane
Slowlane New Reader
4/17/14 4:45 p.m.

I've always liked but never owned a "classic" Mustang. When the kid next door got a new 85 GT when we were in high school I became a bigger fan. A few years later my dad bought a new 87 GT 5 speed convertible which he would allow me to drive for special occasions. It took until 2004 for me to own a Mustang, I bought a new red GT that year, highly discounted as the 2005's were already out. That car gave me 6 years and 130k mikes of good service until I sold it in 2010 and bought a Corvette.

That was until a few weeks ago when I bought a CPO 2012 Premium Convertible with <20k miles on it and all the toys. This is the wife's "new" dd. Of course it's an automatic and there are no plans to mod it or race it in any way. But let me tell you, it's a nice cruiser, I've seen 30+ real mpg's on the road and low to mid 20's around town. The handling is better than my 04 stock for stock even with skinny M&S tires and the V6 is the real deal. In fact if there was a way to make the V6 sound as good as the V8 it would be about the perfect dd.

Happy birthday indeed.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
4/17/14 7:51 p.m.

Me and my 2013 V-6 Performance Package. I was never a Mustang guy (I admired the 1st. gens), but when I test-drove a 2012 V-6 Perf. Pack, something clicked. I've been pretty happy with my purchase since. Happy 50th, Mustang, and here's to 50 more!

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
4/17/14 8:06 p.m.

The V6 in the Mustangs is really a sweet engine, with the performance and Pony packages for power and handling, they transform the base line car into something pretty sweet for the money.

I'm always surprised by mine. Always gets me out of trouble without any dramatics at all. Just got new Perellis and Bullitt wheels for it. Balance and alignment and it's like brand new again !

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
4/17/14 8:57 p.m.

I'm enjoying my '88 LX 5.0L (see YOURcars section this month in Grassroots) but I'd like to check out the 2.3 ecoboost on the new ones. Always wanted late 60's fast back but never happened. I was always into F-body Firebirds, I've owned 3. Took the Mustang to work today, fun drive, 2nd gear burnouts with cold tires, fun.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
4/17/14 9:07 p.m.

Back in high school I really wanted a '67 fastback and passed on many nice coupes that I wish I had bought. Ended up with a Porsche 944 instead. I would still love to get a Mustang at some point however it may never happen as my wife's brother died from the wreck he had in his Fox body Mustang. She does like Mustangs but the whole line is tainted for her because of that. We took a new GT Convertible for a test drive last summer and she loved it, but she would rather have a Challenger (or our Charger) because it doesn't have that association for her.

Come to think of it I passed on a perfect condition '69 Charger because it didn't have a V8. It was at the same dealer as that I bought my Porsche from. God did I screw that up also. Then there was a '66 Corvette convertible for $4000...I am getting sad with my old stupidity.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/17/14 9:14 p.m.

I don't have pictures of mine but I really enjoyed my 3 mustangs and will have another one at some point.

I've had a 1965 Ice blue metallic coupe with the 200 straight 6. That was my first car.

Then I had a 1985 5.0 GT with t-tops. Red with the Black stripes.

The last one was a 64 1/2 coupe with a k code motor.

I'll have another one at some point i'm sure...Long live the pony.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
4/17/14 9:21 p.m.

I've never owned one, but I did get married in one at a drive through chapel in Las Vegas. A rental V6 vert, left the engine on.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/18/14 5:31 a.m.

I have always loved the styling of Mustangs, particularly the 67-68 cars. Unfortunately, rust, cost and the knowledge that they drive like very old cars has kept me from owning one.

I bought a 1981 Fox body hatchback around 1987 or so. It was a four cylinder stick, and with TRX wheels looked like a GT, but the thing never did it for me. It was, frankly, a pig.

I test drove a used SVO one day (with no hope of affording it) that was once owned by Michael Andretti.

As I went through life playing with various other cars, Mustangs always sort of hung around in the background. Then in 2005, they built the Mustang I always wanted. I was this >< close to buying my first new car, but resisted. Patience, grasshopper. I let depreciation work for me, and now this year the planets will align and I shall finally purchase my first 'Murican V8 Mustang. I don't care if it lives up to the expectations in my head or not; I'll just be happy sitting on the front porch and staring at it in the driveway. So if you know someone ready to sell their Sonic Blue GT with a 5 speed...

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/18/14 6:05 a.m.

My first ride in a reasonably fast car was in a 5spd SSP notchback. I bought my '92 GT to turn into an FFR Roadster, but fell in love with it. Bought a '92 SSP notch (my dream car) in the $2010 Classifieds, sold both Fox bodies, and then lucked into my current 2001 GT that a co-worker (and fellow car nut) owned.

Ironically, the purchase of the '92 GT was what inspired my parents to buy the Corvette they had wanted for 30+ years.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
4/18/14 7:12 a.m.

Does anyone want to buy a '91 Miata so it can subsidize a Mustang purchase? I got the itch!

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
4/18/14 7:36 a.m.

I've had a '70 fastback autocross car, a '70 Mach 1, a '70 BOSS 302, a '81 hatch with a 460 (and it was an autocross car), and lastly an '06 GT convertible.

Loved that car. 5 speed manual trans, rumbly exhaust (Pype Bomb axle backs) and a couple suspension mods made it fun. I really want a '13-14 BOSS 302 LS. We'll see if depreciation hits them hard enough to drop prices to my level.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
4/18/14 7:46 a.m.

This thread reminds me of this

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/18/14 8:21 a.m.

My mom's first new car was a '65 Mustang 289/3-speed. People told her she was going to kill herself in that car it was so fast...

Her next new car was a '72 Mustang special ordered. They made a mistake and she got an HO instead of the 351C fastback she ordered. I'm still looking for this car...

My first new car was a '79 Mustang Pace Car with the turbo 2.3. Traded that one in on a new Taurus station wagon (kids)...

I now have an '83 with a 302 swapped in.

I like Mustangs enough to start thinking about getting another new one in '15/'16 for the wife...

Happy Birthday Mustang.

klb67
klb67 New Reader
4/18/14 10:41 a.m.

Here's a link to my 1967 fastback purchased at age 15 in or about 1990. It is in my garage as I type this. Anyone else still have their first car?

I couldn't get the picture to post so hopefully the link works.

1967 mustang

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
4/18/14 10:47 a.m.

Nice Mustang! Tell us about it!

klb67
klb67 New Reader
4/18/14 11:19 a.m.

Thanks Bravenrace. You have a nice '65.

It was the best sales pitch I ever gave (to my dad). My buddy just finished a '65 poppyseed red fastback with his dad, and I wanted a classic mustang. I told dad we could get one, fix it up, and sell it when I went to college. I was buying Autotraders weekly and pouring through them. We found this one in Ephrata, and luckily brought it home. Dad's dollar test at the exhaust confirmed that the engine needed some work and we rebuilt it together - my first.

It got a repaint once (by my buddy's dad) when a lady rear ended me, and again later in on college when I did the fender in on a guard rail on a wet road - that second time dad and I painted it ourselves. It's not perfect but pretty good. The motor tuned out to be a '71 302 and we added an aluminum intake and Edelbrock 4 barrel during the rebuild. It's a C-4 and stock open rear end. One of these days I'll upgrade the rear. I've considered switching to a T-5 but probably will keep it an auto.

I got it back on the road 2 years ago after being off the road for 8 or 9 years waiting on time to finish a few of dad's other projects, do a transmission refurb, clear out a place to keep it inside and a chance to refresh the engine bay - all that came together a few years ago.

I upgraded the exhaust last year from old generic something or other to a magnaflow system from the manifold back and really like it. It's not fast but goes well enough and sounds and looks good. I'll have to add some more pics to the album. Pic 2 in the album is, I think, my oldest son's first or second ride in it.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/18/14 12:43 p.m.

I am feeling like I need a Mustang sooner or later.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/14 2:56 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: This thread reminds me of this

I'm sure the same thing happens when you pull into an Elantra Club show.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
4/18/14 3:06 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

See now, if I made a comment like that, B.....

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/18/14 3:18 p.m.

We are a bit overdue for another Mustang project car and will be rectifying that sooner rather than later. I'm looking forward to it, as it's tough to beat V8 goodness!

So--- what would your favorite Mustang of all time be? Mine would be a toss-up between a 1977 Cobra II and a 73 Grande' model. Ok.....just kidding--- I'd put the 2013 Boss 302 up there, and it's hard to argue with a 65 GT350. Plenty of choices though.

crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
4/18/14 3:27 p.m.

Favorite for me is a turbo SVO.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/14 3:46 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: We are a bit overdue for another Mustang project car and will be rectifying that sooner rather than later. I'm looking forward to it, as it's tough to beat V8 goodness!

Not my favorite by far, but I'd love to see you build a new V6 into a track car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8fVRNp3vJm9fzjfLoZLkQWYB9nDjcZvZQlMflCQNUVhip05K626PuvZooFiRm9sR