1 ... 6 7 8
griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
9/20/15 8:17 p.m.

I've been thinking of getting a new DD. First saw this maybe a week ago. Lincoln LS that just had another $400 lopped off the price. That's getting close to the range I could do in cash and to hell with what's wrong with it.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
9/20/15 8:30 p.m.

I want a roadmaster or a caprice wagon. Had a funny idea of getting a junk one and trying to cram it into every small parking spot I see. Door dings be damned

Flat_Black13z
Flat_Black13z New Reader
9/24/15 6:44 a.m.

So, I bought a 07 aura xr 3.6 the other day at the auction, it has the Moroccan leather and optional DVD/navigation/touchscreen with 200k. After the suspension rehash/nysi it'll be under budget. Does it qualify for the aristocrats?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/24/15 8:47 a.m.

In reply to Flat_Black13z:

Are you really going to attend? If yes then it seems we may have a subclass that includes the Maxima, Saab 9-3, Aura and maybe more.

If we do have this turn out, I propose:

The Esquires

In the United Kingdom, Esquire historically was a title of respect accorded to men of higher social rank, below the rank of knight and above the rank of gentleman.

You could still win The Aristocrat section trophies (top autox, top drag and top concourse) but I will bring a different trophy for highest overall Esquire.

Roadmasters remain Aristocrats but should a LeSabre or Supercharged 3800 show up it is an Esquire.

Thoughts?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/24/15 8:52 a.m.

We aristocrats are old money. These "newer" cars are the Nouveau Riche. I suggest a cut-off year for separating these classes. 2000? 2005?

Flat_Black13z
Flat_Black13z New Reader
9/26/15 10:01 p.m.

i like your idea on the esquires, but im more likely to show up with my turbo saturn wagon. wayyy more grassroots than the aura

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
9/27/15 12:31 a.m.

Unless things change in the next couple of weeks, it looks like I have to toss my hat into this class, i really was hoping to find something really cheap and fun. but it looks like we are going to to have toss in a 02 subby outback....wait for it....with a stick. at least we can joke that we had crocodile Dundee as our cars spokes person in this past 10 years i think.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/27/15 8:53 a.m.

Hmmm. Notto be a dick....

Not sure a Subaru outback qualifies as aristocrat.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/27/15 9:00 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

I agree.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
9/27/15 10:03 a.m.

It's probably the most aristocratic car made by subaru.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
9/27/15 10:13 a.m.

What would you guys say about a Mazda 929?

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
3/6/17 3:52 p.m.

Putting some feelers out there. Would a V70 T5M fit the bill for the aristocrat class? Will there be a contingent in the $2017 event?????

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
3/6/17 4:51 p.m.

In 2015, the initial, big Aristocrat year, there actually was a Volvo 850R sedan, it just wasn't available for the big photo shoot.

Yes, included.

The intention was for "premier models of premier brands."
Under this intention the entry model of Volvo, 240 or S40, would not be included.

Similar examples:
Buick Roadmaster, yes
Buick Skylark, no

Lexus GS400, yes
Lexus ES300 (Carmy twin), no

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/6/17 4:59 p.m.

Are we doing wagons next year? Could be a two-fer!

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
3/6/17 6:41 p.m.
bluej wrote: Are we doing wagons next year? Could be a two-fer!

I've been pushing for a wagon class.....for obvious reasons

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
3/6/17 6:42 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: In 2015, the initial, big Aristocrat year, there actually was a Volvo 850R sedan, it just wasn't available for the big photo shoot. Yes, included. The intention was for "premier models of premier brands." Under this intention the entry model of Volvo, 240 or S40, would not be included. Similar examples: Buick Roadmaster, yes Buick Skylark, no Lexus GS400, yes Lexus ES300 (Carmy twin), no

Sweeeeet
I might actually be able to get it entered at a quarter of the $ cap!!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
3/7/17 1:23 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
bluej wrote: Are we doing wagons next year? Could be a two-fer!
I've been pushing for a wagon class.....for obvious reasons

If my vote counts for anything I'm all in for wagons for $2018.

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
3/19/17 4:21 p.m.

Spotted one of these pretty cheap

Seeing how they keep playing that damn 80's Mercedes song on the radio, I figure I should grab one now before Hagerty puts it on their top pick list. Will she be Aristocrat qualified? Seems like it was the stereotypical aristocratic car to have from through the 80's.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
3/19/17 5:00 p.m.

Oh, yeah. A Mercedes SL would be Aristocrat.
Even better if it has a V8 or V12!
You might find the 6cyl to have uninspiring performance.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
3/19/17 8:58 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: In 2015, the initial, big Aristocrat year, there actually was a Volvo 850R sedan, it just wasn't available for the big photo shoot. Yes, included. The intention was for "premier models of premier brands." Under this intention the entry model of Volvo, 240 or S40, would not be included. Similar examples: Buick Roadmaster, yes Buick Skylark, no Lexus GS400, yes Lexus ES300 (Carmy twin), no

But wasn't a Maxima in the first batch?

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
3/19/17 9:10 p.m.

Yes, a Maxima was. We were trying to be "inclusive".
It didn't fair that well.

1 ... 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0JLa3NuaewSc0foqSgslyVPshUIJRY1YFsg2bqO9uMSWCMPD7rJikQP5PfBkxeGy