1 2
Jeff
Jeff Dork
12/9/09 12:22 p.m.

The rt front on the RX has a stuck lug. I can't get it off. I've tried everything short of heat, and I'm not sure I want to try that with the Panasports on there. Oh, and the nut is now rounded compliments of my breaker bar with a 6 ft cheater.

Can anyone recommend a nut splitter that works well for wheels? This has been pissing me off for days now.

BTW, I broke a HF impact socket, it gave up the ghost early. My chrome deep well is fine (not HF). Can see why folks have mixed feelings about them.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
12/9/09 12:47 p.m.

Is there access to get a small cutting wheel on it? I have used a dremel cutting wheel in a similar circumstance. If the lug is sunk in the rim, this will not work obviously.

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
12/9/09 1:08 p.m.

Good old fashioned chisel and a BFH.

Of course you can always get the sawzall out and cut the wheel off, like one fellow did.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/09 2:02 p.m.

I've managed to use a plasma cutter to remove the bolt in a similar situation. Basically a more fun version of the chisel/BFH technique.

I do not like the term "nutsplitter". It makes me uncomfortable. That is all.

Don49
Don49 New Reader
12/9/09 2:27 p.m.

NAPA sells a special socket for removing "locking" or rounded lug nuts. Basically it is a reverse spiral that bites into the lug.

Don49
Don49 New Reader
12/9/09 2:27 p.m.

NAPA sells a special socket for removing "locking" or rounded lug nuts. Basically it is a reverse spiral that bites into the lug.

JeremyB
JeremyB New Reader
12/9/09 2:37 p.m.

I've never tried it, but you might be able to drill out the stud. Just get progressively larger drill bits until the nut no longer has threads to hold.

Hopefully the stud isn't a tempered type of metal. Of course you'll have to deal with replacing the stud when you're done, but that has to be cheaper than a new wheel.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
12/9/09 2:40 p.m.

I've used a hammer to break the stud and then replaced the stud after I got the wheel off. But that presumes you can get to the lugs. Some lugs are recessed.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
12/9/09 2:44 p.m.
Don49 wrote: NAPA sells a special socket for removing "locking" or rounded lug nuts. Basically it is a reverse spiral that bites into the lug.

+eleventy-billion. I've posted this like 10 times over the years, we need to make a tool thread sticky.

Matco's are on sale right now $109 vs. $129

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/9/09 5:05 p.m.

The last one I had stuck I ended up drilling the stud most of the way. Not wanting to chance drilling the hub by accident I strapped a 2X6 to the wheel and snapped the last little bit. Replaced stud and told my wife to never change a tire again. She had rounded the nut standing on the lug wrench, then had to call a wrecker to tow it home.

erohslc
erohslc Reader
12/9/09 5:19 p.m.

1) Get a cheap wrench, just big enough to fit over the lugnut (box end works best) 2) Place the wrench so you can get leverage on it 3) Weld the lugnut to the wrench 4) Remove and discard (or grind off the weld bead and save the wrench for next time)

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
12/9/09 5:22 p.m.

I had a car with those 'tuner' lug nuts. Every time you needed to take the tires off, 1 of the 20 would break, leaving the round head well inside the rim. I drilled the stud until it got thin enough to break off. It only took about 10 minutes.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
12/9/09 5:44 p.m.

You could always cut apart the rim. Its common interwebz knowledge.

bluke1
bluke1 New Reader
12/9/09 7:32 p.m.

toyman1 beat me to it, but i would do what he said. if you cant get a wrench on it, weld a bolt to it and use the bolt head to wrench on.

bluke1
bluke1 New Reader
12/9/09 7:33 p.m.

In reply to bluke1:

oops! i was agreeing with erohsic! gotta give credit where credit is due!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/9/09 7:58 p.m.

Ouch. Lug BOLT or lug STUD?

Either way, with a Panasport involved I would do what Toyman said: center punch the stud or bolt, drill a pilot hole, then start going with bigger drill bits. I saved a Mazda head and a Honda XR600R frame with that method.

Once it's off, knock the remaining part of the lug STUD out and drive in a new one. If it's a lug BOLT, you need to remove the hub, stick it in a fixture where you can drill accurately and then drill out the boogered part, then re tap the hole.

If it's lug bolts on a early RX7, the 'conversion' studs EMPI sells for Volkswagen hubs will thread directly into your hubs and then you can use 12 x 1.50 pitch lug nuts. BTDT.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
12/9/09 9:39 p.m.

My guess is he has the lug bolts still,and that makes life a bit more complicated.

Shot gun,maybe??

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/10/09 6:06 a.m.

Jeff
Jeff Dork
12/10/09 8:23 a.m.

It's a lug nut on a stud.

Since the welder is penciled in for the 1st or 2nd quarter next year, the welding options are out. I like the reverse thread thingy, if I can find one down here, I'll give that a try.

If all else fails it will be time to do some drilling. The nuts are 95% exposed, so I thought of drilling into those in two or three places and then hitting it with a chisel. If it had cheapo wheels, I'd use the sawsall .

Thanks

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/10/09 8:35 a.m.

Were it me, I'd stay away from sharp things you have to hit, real hot flames or stuff that throws big sparks from an electric arc. Too much chance of damage to the wheel. And 914 is right: anti seize on reassembly. That stuff has saved me many tears.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/10/09 9:08 a.m.

Sorry I was no help, but were it me, I would drill it out and replace the stud.

Different (BFH) technique on a steel wheel

Dan

erohslc
erohslc Reader
12/10/09 9:45 a.m.

Should be easy enough to protect the wheel from welding sparks, a blanket, or canvas (or even a piece of cardboard) with a hole in it ought to do the trick. Beg, borrow, or steal the welder, shouldn't take more than a minute or two to lay a couple of beads down. It doesn't have to look pretty.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
12/12/09 4:42 p.m.

On my F150 w/aluminum factory rims and those chrome covered lug nuts I rounded one off a while back. I took a small drill bit and drilled into the side of the nut and partially through down one flat. Then took a nut splitter (sorry Keith ) and split the nut and removed without damaging the stud. Had to take a cold chisel to the last bit of the nut though. Now admittedly there was room to get the nut splitter on the nut and use the splitter correctly, probably not work on smaller rims or rims with recessed lugs.

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
12/12/09 5:00 p.m.

craftsman also has those spiral socket things they call them bolt outs. They work well. I've also seen folks hammer on a smaller socket.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/12/09 5:18 p.m.

All the fancy lug nut remover tools we have at the dealership I work at suck compared to a 20mm chrome socket (over a 21mm nut/locking nut). Hammer it on, use an impact to turn it off. The socket will just spin for a minute or two at first, but the lug nut soon heats up from all the friction, expands, and then the stud either snaps or the nut spins off.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UO9r2FzoeCa1t3v5H66IM9JMWATyUgs9eFQU0ZTmbNuMTkZJl515KhTPpsv12JST