1 2
tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
9/2/11 7:21 p.m.

To our esteemed publishers (bum shoulders and all, heal up fast!), I ever so humbly request an article for your fine magazine. I'd love to see a buyers guide on 993's. Now that it's evident that the SCs are not getting any cheaper, I may have to set my sights higher (newer) and further in the future. 993s look the part, are aircooled, and are quite fast. Any Boxster-esque oil issues? Huge repair bill estimates? Loss of "soul" compared to a SC or Carrera?

I want to know, let's see if any of my forum-mates do as well.

Thanks folks, really the best mags I get (both GRM and CM). I seriously was going to canceled Hot Rod and Car Craft, the only other two, because the only thing I use them for anymore is LS and other modern V8 builds (and they went and surprised me with that I6 Ford that ran 11s, so I kept them).

rotard
rotard Reader
9/2/11 7:45 p.m.

Where are you finding 993's anywhere near SC prices? I've been looking, and it seems that prices generally go like this:

997>993>>>>>>>911=964>996

Edit: File me under "want to know."

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/2/11 8:07 p.m.

The 2012 editorial calendar is currently being polished, but I can say that that car comes up frequently in lunchtime conversation. Actually, all of the "transition period" 911s are interesting—the last of the aircooled models and the early water cooled stuff. It's an intriguing era of Porsches.

In a slightly related note, I also predict that someone in our employ will purchase a Boxster in the next 18 months. Too many people around the office talk about them for it not to happen.

jg

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
9/2/11 8:31 p.m.

993s are still expensive, but they are amazing cars. The Turbo is the best of the bunch, but they all lost a little "soul" if by soul you mean "doesn't want to kill you in your sleep".

best in the looks department (IMHO), especially the GT1 and GT2 variants. (you ain't gonna find either one for Carrera prices though...)

Dig in and get yourself a Carrera 2 (the C4 sucks), but be ready for leaks...All Porsches leak. Not as bad as the English, but worse than Japanese...

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
9/2/11 8:56 p.m.

I know they are not cheap yet, but they will be, and I want to be prepared!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/2/11 9:16 p.m.

My "Porsche mentor" refers to the 993 as the P-51 of the 911 model run: the ultimate incarnation of "classic" technology. That's not a putdown, either. He's simply calling the 993 the best of the breed--the ultimate, most-developed version.

Unfortunately, the rest of the Porsche world knows this. Demand is up, and the production run was relatively short. Result: I'd be surprised to see prices get much lower. A good 993 currently brings in more than a 996, a newer model. I'm not saying that we won't write about the 993--it's an amazing car--but I can't see them trading for current SC, 964 and 3.2L Carrera prices.

Problem areas? There are a few. I don't want to quote them off the top of my head, but there's some issues to check out.

On a related note, part 1 of our 911 series starts very soon in the magazine. First up, what's a pre-purchase inspection and how do you separate a good 911 from a bad one.

We discussed some general buying advice today, too. He quoted Bruce Anderson: When buying a 911, buy the best example you can afford. In other words, a perfect SC trumps a Carrera with questionable history.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/11 9:31 p.m.

I don't foresee 993's ever getting cheap. They are far too popular, especially in relation to the versions immediately before and after them.

The real bargain in the Porsche world these days is the 996 Twin Turbo; a true supercar that can be found for under $40k if you look hard enough. That's still far from cheap, though.

Normally aspirated 996's are often overlooked, or flat out ignored, because of their bland styling, but they're creeping into the realm of affordability.

David S. Wallens
9/2/11 9:31 p.m.

PS: I'm not saying no to a 993 buyer guide. I'm just being honest in that I don't see the prices getting much lower.

I thought about a 993, too. In the end, I couldn't justify the prices. Plus the Carrera had a few more classic 911 touches: torsion bar suspension, floor-hinged pedals, side window frames, more vintagey interior, Fuchs wheels and that classic nose.

The cool thing, though, is that if you want something a little newer, you can go newer. I still wouldn't kick a 993 out of the garage.

Hot linked because we can:

David S. Wallens
9/2/11 9:34 p.m.
Woody wrote: Normally aspirated 996's are often overlooked, or flat out ignored, because of their bland styling, but they're creeping into the realm of affordability.

I'm seeing good cars for less than $20k. I know they also have some problems, but they can be solved. Unlike the 993, 996 demand is down and supply is up.

The styling isn't for everyone, but in my book adding the GT3 nose, skirts and wing definitely helps.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/3/11 5:54 a.m.

As a reader, I have to say that I'm not much interested in reading articles about buying $25k used cars, Porsche or not. Perhaps I'm old school about this, but the term "grassroots" carries a connotation of inexpensiveness, non-elitism, frag'ability, and affordable DIY repairability, none of which is true about most Porsches carrying the 911 name. Not trying to exclude any content here, but I think context has a lot to do with whether content works.

BTW, I have to admit that I was (and maybe still am a bit) dubious of the magazine's upcoming 911 series. But when I read that shortly after purchase that you guys found it necessary to rebuild some portion of the motor, and the costs of parts and doing so, I chuckled and thought I might enjoy the series as a cautionary tale. I guess we'll see.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
9/3/11 6:49 a.m.
darkbuddha wrote: As a reader, I have to say that I'm not much interested in reading articles about buying $25k used cars, Porsche or not. Perhaps I'm old school about this, but the term "grassroots" carries a connotation of inexpensiveness, non-elitism, frag'ability, and affordable DIY repairability, none of which is true about most Porsches carrying the 911 name. Not trying to exclude any content here, but I think context has a lot to do with whether content works.

For the most part, a Porsche owning experience is very DIY, and the community is very helpful. 25k may seem like a lot, but you are getting a TON of car for that money. Particularly in the 996 Turbo variant, there are "ratty" (high mileage) examples going for less than 30, and it will easily trounce ANYTHING else for the same money at the track. I think THAT is what Grassroots means.

Gimme a 996 Turbo buyers guide...As a matter of fact, I could probably write it!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/11 6:53 a.m.

In reply to darkbuddha:

You don't have to be an elitist to drive a Porsche.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
9/3/11 7:23 a.m.
darkbuddha wrote: As a reader, I have to say that I'm not much interested in reading articles about buying $25k used cars, Porsche or not.

+1

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
9/3/11 8:32 a.m.

I'd love to see more articles on higher end, high performance used cars, especially 911s, and I think a lot of GRM readers would too. While I enjoy reading about taking a 20 year old economy car and setting it up for autocross, I don't want to buy a 20 year old economy car and set it up for autocross, and I don't want a magazine that just focuses on that (or just focuses on $2011 racers). Actually, I take that back. If I were looking for a dedicated autocross car, I might go that direction, but if I'm looking for a daily driver or a fun weekend car that I can also autocross and use for open track days I don't want a CRX or Festiva, even if they could be set up to whoop a 911 on an autocross track, I want something like a 911, or maybe a late model Mustang or a 350Z or something like that.

The average GRM reader has an income over $100,000/year and has 'large amounts of disposable income' according to the magazine's media pack (OK, it's only 44% of readers, but that's close enough to half), shouldn't the magazine cater to those folks too? Isn't the 911 one of the most raced cars in history? I realize that this forum tends to focus more on the $2011 type cars, but we're only a small part of the overall readership. We may be the most vocal readers and probably the most directly connected to the magazine's staff, but I'm not sure we're really the typical reader.

Bob

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
9/3/11 9:07 a.m.

Some of those "average readers" like to fool around with 20 year old economy cars too

I'll never own a Porsche, but I don't mind reading buyers guide type articles. When well done, they're usually interesting, and informative.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
9/3/11 10:08 a.m.
Schmidlap wrote: The average GRM reader has an income over $100,000/year and has 'large amounts of disposable income' according to the magazine's media pack (OK, it's only 44% of readers, but that's close enough to half), shouldn't the magazine cater to those folks too?

I probably fall square into that demographic and I'd much rather read about how someone grassroots engineered a sucker car, their own hybrid or anything else than articles on high end sports cars.

I started reading GRM (too many) years ago for just that kind of thing. There are plenty of magazines, websites, etc where I can go if I need purchasing advice on used high end sports cars. What has always drawn me to GRM is the articles on the engineering and ingenuity that goes into low buck (and sometimes high buck) home built projects.

I'm not a cover to cover reader of the mag anymore as I find only about 50% of the content appeals to my interests these days, but that doesn't mean I don't like the magazine. Its still run by real people who really love cars and it shows. But if they loose what differentiates them from the rest of the magazines out there then that may be the day I stop subscribing.

Josh
Josh Dork
9/3/11 10:23 a.m.

I think an article about a 25k used sports car that might be worth 30k (and won't be worth less than 20k) after you've owned it for 5 years is MUCH more relevant to the frugally minded enthusiast than coverage of ANY new car.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/3/11 10:40 a.m.

The buy-in for the 911 is high, but of you buy the right car and take care of it, it seems to be a better investment than the stock market.

Keep the 911 articles coming.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
9/3/11 11:06 a.m.

I did not realize that I would be unleashing controversy. Certainly some of the otehr very popular GRM articles deal with large amounts of money. The BMW 335 article comes to mind, as does the UTCC challenge. I love the very low buck stuff as well, keep in mind that although I have not yet brought an entry to the challenge, that I have raced Lemons many times.

Room for both, eh guys?

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
9/3/11 11:12 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:
Schmidlap wrote: The average GRM reader has an income over $100,000/year and has 'large amounts of disposable income' according to the magazine's media pack (OK, it's only 44% of readers, but that's close enough to half), shouldn't the magazine cater to those folks too?
I probably fall square into that demographic and I'd much rather read about how someone grassroots engineered a sucker car, their own hybrid or anything else than articles on high end sports cars. I started reading GRM (too many) years ago for just that kind of thing. There are plenty of magazines, websites, etc where I can go if I need purchasing advice on used high end sports cars. What has always drawn me to GRM is the articles on the engineering and ingenuity that goes into low buck (and sometimes high buck) home built projects. I'm not a cover to cover reader of the mag anymore as I find only about 50% of the content appeals to my interests these days, but that doesn't mean I don't like the magazine. Its still run by real people who really love cars and it shows. But if they loose what differentiates them from the rest of the magazines out there then that may be the day I stop subscribing.

Same here, but I'm no longer a reader for the reasons you describe. If I renew, it will be because my son reads the mag.

David S. Wallens
9/3/11 11:32 a.m.

Wow, such controversy from a simple question. First, no, we're not taking the magazine upmarket. I personally don't think that a $12,500 Porsche sports car is excessively exotic or unrealistic--especially considering that its value has only gone up. Also, realize that we do have a wide range of readers. Some are into crap-can racers, others drive in Grand-Am. Both are just as passionate about our scene, and we welcome all camps. Our 2012 editorial calendar contains a nice dose of low-buck cars and tech.

No matter what the budget, one thing we do offer is answers. You ask a question, and we'll take time to answer. So, the original poster asked about 993. Guess what? I have an answer.

I'm here with Randy, our Porsche expert. He says the 993 is an awesome car, but there can be a problem. Thanks to soft valve guides, the air inlets for the air pump tends to get coked up. This throws a check engine light (and also compromises the emission system). When shopping, he says to be aware of this problem and look for disconnected check engine lights. Sadly, he says that ugraded guides are the only real long-term cure.

So, you have questions, we have answers.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque New Reader
9/3/11 11:34 a.m.

I spent last weekend at Shannonville Motorsports park at my local PCA Region's DE event in my 944. My brother and I both own them and love to track them. many of our frineds have 911's, all different series of them and in different states of tune. It was very fuuny though, Shannonville is a very technical track, lots of braking and LOTS of 3rd gear corners. The 911 guys kept saying"Oh you have a 944, I wish I had one of those, they're FAST" LOL! My instructor has a 996 GT3 and said to me after I asked him for a ride, " your car and my car are the same, in fact I think you're faster." LOL again!
The point is, don't be afraid of Porsche ownership, the 911 isn't the only way in. I have approx. $3000 in my 84 944 N/A and it's by far one of the most amazing cars I've ever driven. It beats the hell out of my old full race CRX in terms of fun.

I'd love a 993 someday, but don't overlook some of Porsche's less expensive options, they are still Porsches.

David S. Wallens
9/3/11 11:41 a.m.

I'm not sure if this is limited to our part of the country, but I have found the PCA community to be very welcoming. When I attended my first meeting, I didn't have a Porsche. "You're coming to this weekend's autocross?" someone asked. I told him I just had the Miata. His reply: "So, you're still coming, right?"

And yes, there are deals on 944s--what a track car, too.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
9/3/11 11:51 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
darkbuddha wrote: As a reader, I have to say that I'm not much interested in reading articles about buying $25k used cars, Porsche or not.
+1

+1

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
9/3/11 11:54 a.m.

Wow this really set some people off. When I was reading all of this I kept thinking about e30 M3's, at the bottom of their depreciation curve when everybody was looking for e36/46's you could find good examples for around 5k dollars, now it's hard to find them for under 20k. Similarly, since the P cars in question are at the bottom of their price curve, wouldn't now be the perfect time to run a buyers guide on them?

One thing I would like to see is a race car build from a (newer) wrecked car. Since wrecked cars are so much cheaper than buying brand new, it seems pretty "Grassroots" to build a race car from a cheap wrecked car. (ex Motoiq World Challenge Scion tC) It is also more applicable to readers to do this rather than build a race car from a manufacturer loaned car.

P.S. Thank you to all of the GRM employees who post on there, I like seeing you guys interact with us internet junkies.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uVkiIkZhBnEjdhzbCEUUNvo0CX0viP2JdR1rP9HMoqPSuieC0ezBMd3QqiJj7xNV