David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/26/20 1:47 p.m.
feature_image

Honda recently announced the 2021 Type R Limited Edition, billing it as the ultimate track-focused, street-legal Type R. Only 600 copies will be sent stateside, and each one will wear Phoenix Yellow.

What makes these cars so special? Lightweight, forged BBS wheels, specially tuned dampers, recalibrated steering and 28 pounds of weight savings realized by ditching the rear wiper, tonneau …

Read the rest of the story

trucke
trucke SuperDork
2/26/20 3:10 p.m.

The CTR is an awesome machine.  Not sure how an alcantara covered steering wheel will hold up.  I prefer the leather.  Got to give them marketing cred, stating the adaptive dampers are 10x more responsive while using the same gas strut.  Not sure that would be noticeable!  

Still love the car and the Phoenix Yellow is awesome!

I wonder when that LogR will be available for earlier models?  Seems like a lot of development work for just a few thousand cars.

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
2/26/20 3:38 p.m.

No matter what the numbers on the paperwork say or how amazing magazines say it drives; the thing is freaking ugly.

I don't want an ugly car.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/26/20 3:40 p.m.

I think it's crazy wild.  "We lightened it up by tossing the rear wiper and rear ducts and other stuff".

Our kind of guys.....

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
2/26/20 3:47 p.m.

Love the yellow!

I don’t think they’re any more outrageous or ugly than a blob eye WRX STi, and people seem to like those.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/26/20 3:49 p.m.

Gotta love mid-cycle refreshes from Honda. A new color or two released, a special edition is thrown out there, lots of enticing action statements on the performance of this revised edition. 

I'm 90% of these will sell out the day it's advertised they are available to order. The othe 10% will sit on dealer showroom floors with a $35k markup to attract internet attention. 5 of this will be on BaT within two weeks of delivery. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/26/20 3:56 p.m.
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/26/20 4:00 p.m.

Nissan did one that just sold for a record amount.   240Z Z432R

"they punched thinner body panels" is my favorite.   

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/26/20 6:11 p.m.
Patientzero said:

No matter what the numbers on the paperwork say or how amazing magazines say it drives; the thing is freaking ugly.

I don't want an ugly car.

If you hold your hand up to the screen and cover everything aft of the rear door, it actually looks pretty decent.

If they'd release a special "Sleeper-Edition" Civic R that looks just like an Si Coupe on the outside, I'd seriously consider buying one. 

Sk1dmark
Sk1dmark GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/26/20 6:28 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Look up the Civic Type R Sport Line. Not going to be available in America but it's exactly that. I'm in the same boat as you wanting a toned down version and I wish so badly that they would have brought that here

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/26/20 6:34 p.m.
Sk1dmark said:

In reply to irish44j :

Look up the Civic Type R Sport Line. Not going to be available in America but it's exactly that. I'm in the same boat as you wanting a toned down version and I wish so badly that they would have brought that here

definitely better, but still way too much fake vent stuff going on . I like how (comparatively) clean the Si Coupe rear end is....only one small pair of fake vents lol. 

Looks like basically what Subaru did with the STi Limited....it was all STi underneath, but just a subtle lip spoiler, toned-down wheels, IIRC the calipers might have been painted black instead of gold, etc....it was the STi for adults who don't want everyone to street race them or ever cop to pull them over....

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/26/20 7:00 p.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

Yeah, but 28 POUNDS! 

I just can't get worked up about 28 pounds.  frown

I do find the car interesting.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
2/26/20 9:42 p.m.

^And almost all off the rear of a FWD car... how much does that wing weigh?

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
2/27/20 2:09 p.m.

As someone who has owned 4 Honda products, how in the heck did they manage to find any sound insulation to remove? 

And like others here: like the yellow but not overly fond of the car's looks. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/27/20 5:40 p.m.

Will it cost less than the other yellow CTR?

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
2/28/20 9:26 a.m.

Unfortunately, it's not fast enough to outrun that much ugly. 
and yeah, 28 pounds, out of the rear?  Whatevs

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
2/28/20 11:21 a.m.
DrBoost said:

Unfortunately, it's not fast enough to outrun that much ugly. 
and yeah, 28 pounds, out of the rear?  Whatevs

Overseas ones are almost 80lb's lighter they drop AC and Media screen. Cannot do that in US due to rear camera requirements. At least that is what I was told.

There are a few wrapped in this yellow in town already. Allegedly R's they are now the number one repo for Honda finance as well. Take that with a grain of salt though.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ac9jgYBJf3GOeD2TtmlGSiyRxkXyKgrnyFy8FEbPZErLWM1u55idNuWjUJaXzpDU