Its a $2000 dollar kit that lets you buy a $200-$700 transmission to put into your $500 car.
Well... it may be a $2000 kit, but most of the Corolla people I'm associated with have significantly more valuable cars than $500. I can only guess you are use to RX7s and so based your assumption of value on your very own POS
Now, getting back to showing HOW this would go together........
Well, since half of this box of goodies was not mine, I decided to wait till Jesse had some time. Joe used a small hamper basket to hold all the parts. As you can see each part is well wrapped
We unwrap all the parts to make sure LEEN sent us everything we purchased
Each of the pieces is laid out to check for condition. It all looks GREAT... We did have to find 7 flathead allen metric 8mm bolts. We also had to salvage the seal. This MUST BE DONE WITH CARE... that particular seal comes on no other car... that means the only place to get it is where the J160 was offered.... Europe, or Japan
We bring the trans up from my basement, and found one drain plug in the center section, the plug is out of view. This shows the J160 in the drain pan, bell down, we had removed what we thought was a drain plug from inside, but in reality was a shift detente plug - no crime, no foul, no issue.
Here is the FSM view of the bell components. I'll be referring to this and likely reposting it (if easier then the viewer going back) to make the explanations easier. The detente plug I referred to in an earlier post is # 3
Once we were confident the box was empty, we proceeded to remove the bell section from the rest of the transmission. Toyota's procedure is to rest the bell as we had and disassemble it from the tailhousing forward. Since we have no need to rebuild it, Jesse and I decided to start it from the other end.
We began by removing the front bearing retainer inside the bell housing. There are 7 bolts (1) that fasten it to the bell. These will be replaced for the 7 flathead allen bolts we had to supply for assembly of the LEEN.
Once the bearing retainer was removed, there were 2 large snap rings that needed to be removed from the main, and lay shaft bearings. Using a snap ring plier the snap rings were removed
We then removed the reverse idler gear shaft retention bolt(4a) from the side of the trans case.
Followed by the shift arm pivot bolt (5) This will be one of the trickier parts on re-assembly since we chose to disassembly it from the bell housing end.
Here is an annoted version of the above parts layout. I've used the same numbers to help show the viewer how the LEEN fits. #4a shows the reverse gear shaft bolt hole, and how the reverse gear shaft nests into the side of the adapter, and #1 is pointing to the reason we need 8mm flathead allen bolts instead of the regular 8mm bolts. #5 is where the shift arm fulcrum bolt fits through the case to retain the shift arm
We then removed the 10 8mm bolts holding the bell section to the center section of the transmission. Following procedures described in the FSM we struck the bell housing with a mallet to break the sealant bond
At this point Jesse and I started, and failed, initially to wiggle the case free. Not wanting to damage the mating surface of the block, we chose not to pry inside the split case. Not until after we took the above photo did we see the prying flanges in the center of the above photo. Using a screw driver we gently worked the prying flanges until the gap was about 5mm. Then using the handle of the mallet we used above, we tapped on the main, and lay shaft bearings till the front of the case came free
other things to note in the above photo....... the bearing retainer, the removed seal from the bearing retainer, and the shift arm fulcrum bolt. For those with sharp eyes you can also see the shift arm in the gearbox and see the hole it pivots on the fulcrum bolt
The input shaft seal, as mentioned earlier is not available in the US, at least not from Toyota. The seal part number is 90311-29001. I will recommend to LEEN that they add a new one to the minimum order for the next production run. Upon close inspection the seal in my J160 showed no wear, so I used a 90 degree screwdriver to GENTLY work the seal free from the bearing retainer
more to come........