Robert Bowen
Robert Bowen
7/17/18 2:56 p.m.

This story is from an older issue of Grassroots Motorsports.. Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Think that’s an Ariel Atom? Look closer. It’s actually a custom creation hand-built by Jon Winterhalter in his normal suburban garage. While the English mid-engined sports car was the inspiration for Jon’s near-replica, he says he’s never seen an Atom in the flesh.

That little inconvenience didn’t stop him, though. In this Internet age, Atom owners proud of their $50,000 purchases have posted enough high-resolution photos for Jon to create his own scale drawings and build an almost perfect replica.

This amazing car is not, however, the result of beginner’s luck. Jon built a Lotus 7-like Locost a few years ago and entered it in the Grassroots Motorsports $2005 Challenge. It was even featured in a few other mainstream car magazines.

With that challenge behind him, Jon wanted something more impressive and a little more difficult for his next project. One of those high-resolution Atom pictures gave him the idea for this build.

“I liked the distinctive look of the curved tubes and wanted a bigger challenge than building another Seven-type car,” Jon explains. “But honestly, after building my first car I was not afraid, not surprised by anything. I knew I could build this one.”

Read the rest of the story

Our Preferred Partners
fGodzSAvoPFwH9DbWU5XFJbEGYwhk8YCib6eQsQaNBk2Aq8VJFHMtk3zJckHV8rl