GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/1/08 2:21 p.m.

I found a really good site on hypermiling, for once:

http://ecomodder.com/

I thought a proper website on the sport/hobby/whatever was noteworthy.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/08 2:39 p.m.

If it ain't timed it ain't a sport. Hypermiling = Drifting.

Therefore Nick Hogan should wreck his next car by having a throng of trucks run over him from behind while he is Hypermiling down A1A at 43.5mph.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/1/08 2:43 p.m.

This tip could be handy when racing in the rain:

80) Follow the leader in rain or snow In weather conditions that leave a lot of precipitation on the road - heavy rain or snow - drive in the tiretracks of the vehicle in front to reduce rolling resistance. An exception to this tip may be on "rutted" surfaces where water tends to pool in the ruts. In that case, driving on the ridges between the ruts offers less resistance.

That can give you a little momentum you can use later on to pass the guy in front of you.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/1/08 2:47 p.m.
John Brown wrote: If it ain't timed it ain't a sport. Hypermiling = Drifting. Therefore Nick Hogan should wreck his next car by having a throng of trucks run over him from behind while he is Hypermiling down A1A at 43.5mph.

Well, it is measured via a truly objective metric...MPG, therefore isn't like drifting which is judged subjectively. Technically you could time it, just like you could time the Indy 500...there is no time limit. However, they both have clear goals (be the first to finish 500, or be the one who gets the best MPG).

Just playing devil's advocate...since I can't fathom saying I hypermile for the sport of it.

Bryce

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
10/1/08 3:27 p.m.
Nashco wrote:
John Brown wrote: If it ain't timed it ain't a sport. Hypermiling = Drifting. Therefore Nick Hogan should wreck his next car by having a throng of trucks run over him from behind while he is Hypermiling down A1A at 43.5mph.
Well, it is measured via a truly objective metric...MPG, therefore isn't like drifting which is judged subjectively. Technically you could time it, just like you could time the Indy 500...there is no time limit. However, they both have clear goals (be the first to finish 500, or be the one who gets the best MPG).

So, you're saying:

Hypermilling > Drifting!?

YES!

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
10/1/08 3:29 p.m.

I can make a 2006 745Li (the long-wheelbase one) get 30.5 mpg driving through mountains. (It gets 28 on the way out and 33 on the way back on the 200 mile journey). I can hardly get my Miata to do that. It's even better on level ground.

I don't know why it can do this . . .

pigeon
pigeon New Reader
10/1/08 4:18 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: I can make a 2006 745Li (the long-wheelbase one) get 30.5 mpg driving through mountains. (It gets 28 on the way out and 33 on the way back on the 200 mile journey). I can hardly get my Miata to do that. It's even better on level ground. I don't know why it can do this . . .

Must be time travel In '06 the 7-series became the 750Li with a slightly larger motor and loss of the infinitely variable intake for a stepped version. Trust me - mine's parked in my garage right now. Getting that kind of mileage is darned good though, on sustained freeway runs I see 26ish, but then again I tend to drive fast and aggressively rather than lock the radar-controlled adaptive cruise in at 65, fire up the Sirius radio on the Logic7 stereo, bask in the comfort of the bazillion-way adjustable seats with the heat, cooling and massage all going at once, and just worry about keeping it between the lines. I may have to increase my tire pressures a tad too, though the Pilot Sports may have something to do with it too. Typically with my last 3-series I saw 2-3 MPG gain with snow tires vs sticky summer tires.

Raze
Raze New Reader
10/1/08 6:35 p.m.

I've lurked over there awhile, it is an interesting site if for no other reason than these people are:

1) obsessive

2) cheap

3) smart

4) obsessive

5) substance over surface

sound like anyone familiar?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h620FNa22yTJzdcUaHAbwzcCwj3B3NCewA7atVSeC7Raz8kfI0HTNOzk1nMtN3OE