1 2
_
_ Reader
5/23/19 5:48 p.m.

I know, it’s absurd. But I would like to try it. You know, for science. I can score some free Polaris Scrambler wheels and paddles right meow. 

Edit- might need a paco lift...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 5:50 p.m.

Why are we not seeing pictures of a Miata on ATV tires? I don't understand. Get cracking!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/23/19 5:54 p.m.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
5/23/19 5:59 p.m.

I think we NEED to see how a Miata does in the dunes.  You know, for science.

TJL
TJL Reader
5/23/19 6:02 p.m.

Check the speed rating of the tires. 

_
_ Reader
5/23/19 6:04 p.m.
TJL said:

Oh, there is no way in hell I am driving this thing on the street with those tires. I think I will need to buy some adapters to make them fit the Miata. I’m just pondering this, I still need to drive over and pick them up and then take a look and see if it will even work with the suspension and such

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 6:08 p.m.

I will accept a car on jackstands with the tires sitting stuffed in the wheelwells.

_
_ Reader
5/23/19 6:12 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Ok, ok! Yeesh! lol. 

TJL
TJL Reader
5/23/19 6:16 p.m.
_ said:
TJL said:

Oh, there is no way in hell I am driving this thing on the street with those tires. I think I will need to buy some adapters to make them fit the Miata. I’m just pondering this, I still need to drive over and pick them up and then take a look and see if it will even work with the suspension and such

Cool. I wouldnt be surprised if newer atv tires were good up to a pretty high speed since they are all so powerful now, but just in case. 

Down here people will use ag tires for mudding and will certainly get them past their top speed. If i remember right some i saw recommended either 12 or 20 as top speed. 

Either way, should look pretty cool. 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
5/23/19 6:23 p.m.

This may actually be a solution to the lack of tires in appropriate sizes for Paco lifted Miatae... looking forward to the results! yes

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 6:30 p.m.

Pix needed. 

TJL
TJL Reader
5/23/19 8:01 p.m.

I seem to remember them being used on the original subaru brat for some beater fun. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/23/19 8:25 p.m.

This may actually be a solution to the lack of tires in appropriate sizes for Paco lifted Miatae

I have looked into this in the past for reasons of Subaru Loyale 4WD Wagon. But never did it. Yet. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
5/23/19 8:39 p.m.
TJL said:

I seem to remember them being used on the original subaru brat for some beater fun. 

And that guy didn't even need to worry about the speed rating!

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/19 8:50 p.m.

In for the pics

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/23/19 8:54 p.m.

Maxxis bighorn UTV tires. 26x8 r15. Not quite as tall as I want, but short of tractor tires, the most aggressive thing I can find for dirt and mud

I looked into this before

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/24/19 8:23 a.m.

Sure a Miata is light, but wouldn't a car exceed the weight rating for an ATV tire?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/19 8:30 a.m.

Small MTs are just slightly bigger than ATV/UTV tires - AT/UTV tires tend to max out around 30" which is where the smallest MTs start. If you want crazy-aggressive treads, look for Maxxis Mudzillas, some variants are even more tractor-like than the Bighorns.

The MTs will also take care of the weight rating problem.

Hooptie_Josh
Hooptie_Josh New Reader
5/24/19 8:39 a.m.

Not uncommon at Gambler events.  Small enough to fit econoboxes that even smallest mt's wouldn't fit without massive surgery.  Don't recall any miatas per se, but plenty of similar weight cars and didn't witness any blowouts.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
5/24/19 9:05 a.m.

Years ago I saw a tiny Subaru wagon (no idea what is was), on a trailer behind a motorhome. It had ATV tires, and all I could think was how awesome it was.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
5/24/19 10:16 a.m.
nderwater said:

Sure a Miata is light, but wouldn't a car exceed the weight rating for an ATV tire?

Some of the UTVs are over 1700# dry weight and have four seats. Loaded they've got to be close to Miata weights, I would think.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/24/19 10:28 a.m.

Pretty sure Gingium did it at first. I haven't watched all his videos, but it looks like he switched to light truck offroad tires later. Not sure if there was a specific reason for that. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
5/24/19 11:06 a.m.
_ said:

I know, it’s absurd. But I would like to try it. You know, for science. I can score some free Polaris Scrambler wheels and paddles right meow. 

Edit- might need a paco lift...

There is no try.  Do, or do not

"Buy" an adapter, yeah, because someone already manufactures something to make this happen.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
5/24/19 11:56 a.m.

What happened to sand rail tires? I seem to remember years ago that there were some off-road specific/only tires with paddles and/or tractor tread type pattern that was used on sand rails, dune buggies and mud drag racing. This was before the large ATV's currently. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/19 1:57 p.m.

The ones with paddles are called paddle tires cheeky found some here:

http://www.sandtiresunlimited.com/sandtire1.html

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X1N2fUAvZPnIzLNivN33u4AuvIxBFtL3sk2yNLrWdSpsvGcdy0ipwWksIi6luC5L