NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/11/08 5:17 p.m.

ok, need some more input Good/bad? own one or owned one? good daily? etc.

Supercoupe
Supercoupe New Reader
12/11/08 5:33 p.m.

What year?

I've had 83,85, 87.5 SB, and still have an 85 and a Urq.

Dwight will probably chime in when he see's this and has a nice right up on his website.

All in all, they are a fun car to flog around but somewhat underpowered by todays standards, they can be upgraded to a turbo motor from a 5000 pretty easily though. I used mine as a dd for years commuting to the city and had no problems.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
12/11/08 5:50 p.m.

As long as you can fix it yourself, no reason not to drive one. Expect it to always have something wrong with it, but rarely ever to quit working completly (same with almost ever old european car).

audifan
audifan New Reader
12/11/08 5:59 p.m.

I have an 84URQ that I used as a DD for a couple of years now shes a trailer queen but they are solid cars just look for rust in the rear 1/4 behind the wheels and in the front fender (tire off and flashlight stuff) Try www.motorgeek.com a bunch of 5 cylinder mental cases (not mine blah blah blah etc etc etc.) But I am warning you, if you go to that site your gonna buy something newer and spend alot more $ and before you know have a 4 door sedan that will knock on the back door of the car that is your name LOL.

good luck any audi questions feel free to toss @ me!

Colin

type85
type85 None
12/12/08 12:36 a.m.
NickF40 wrote: ok, need some more input Good/bad? own one or owned one? good daily? etc.

I've owned 2 coupes ('81 and '84) for the last 18 years. I love them, light, simple, strong, and decently quick with an engine swap from a "90". The guys at Grassroots like coupes so much, they did an article on my car in the Oct '06 issue!

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
12/12/08 5:49 a.m.

Do not listen to Dan Garza (above). He will convince you to spend Porsche amounts of money on your Audi Coupe.

I owned mine for something like 12 years. Fantastic car. Everything good about Audis without most of the bad. Very reliable. Few things break, ever, though they are now getting up there in years so age related things (rubber parts) may begin to fail. They feel faster than they are, because the steering feedback and general handling is so good you can drive them quickly and maintain momentum like a good old fashioned British sports car. If I were shopping for one, I'd hope for a 1987 with the rear disc brakes and the 2.3 engine, as that is the best factory package. They are rare though. 85-86 is second best, with the better electrical system and aero look front end. The early ones have an old VW style fuse block that can sometimes be problematic and the interiors are more plasticy. Avoid the automatics; they are no fun and too much work to convert. Trying to build more power in a non-turbo one is an expensive endeavor and not a good value. Turbo swaps are common and inexpensive if you just buy a 5000 donor. Audi has discontinued quite a few parts so buying a ratty car may be frustrating if it needs lots of bits. Most everything to keep it running though is pretty standard VW-Audi stuff and easy enough to get.

As suggested, check out my site below and see what I did to mine. BTW, I believe my old car is still for sale and is a great value if you want a normally aspirated one that's been built. I hear it needs a paint job from sitting outside neglected for a couple years (clear has started to fail) but can put you in touch with the current owner. MMS Coupe GT

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
12/12/08 6:00 a.m.

For some reason four or five of these things just recently turned up at the local junk yard.

Supercoupe
Supercoupe New Reader
12/12/08 6:41 a.m.

And where exactly would this junkyard be, always looking for the hard to get parts as spares for mine.

type85
type85 New Reader
12/14/08 3:04 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: Do not listen to Dan Garza (above). He will convince you to spend Porsche amounts of money on your Audi Coupe. I

Man, the Dwightster is still hatin' on my coupe! Must be because my '84 can spank his '86 on the track all day long!

Partialy completed projects for this year: "90" 2 piece strut conversion with Corrado 11" rotors, Wilwood calipers, PMD VW ball joint "extenders" (to raise the roll center).

Eurospec 2.6L shortblock 82.5 x 95.5 (been sitting up north waiting for me to pick it up for 8 months), flow ported, tweeked and bamboozled 034 motorsports big valve head ( almost done).

Whew! Who new you could have so much fun with such an obscure car, I have to give Dwight credit for gettin' me crack addicted to going faster!!

Dan

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
12/14/08 5:46 a.m.

Or, you could save yourself a lot of money and work and just buy a BMW.

audifan
audifan New Reader
12/14/08 11:39 a.m.

Ddavidv, Hey BMW makes a great car but so does Audi they have a long legacy of winning in motorsports (they have won everything they have entered, also been thrown out of just about everything as well!) But an older Audi is a great cheap to own and operate, and fun to make them go fast a perfect Grassroots type of car!

NickF40 check out www.toxcheap.com for some interesting old skool audi 5 cylinder 10v turbo stuff

924guy
924guy HalfDork
12/15/08 6:54 a.m.

i suddenly miss my 84 4kq....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
saHKX05H9QN3SYjbqtkmtgF6YuTUhhC4XvrnXWSCdg76Fz2bd1u6Z3DoPDHi7AWW