AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/19 3:35 p.m.

Is the hydraulic slave and throwout bearing system as used in B7 Audi (2005-ish A4) 01X considered "constant contact" or is there supposed to be some air gap between face of throwout bearing and pressure plate fingers?  if air gap, how is it adjusted?

It seems to me that the slave has a not-very-stiff spring force (like a few lbs max) extending it toward the "clutch pedal to the floor" fully disengaged position, and that mating the trans to the engine causes the pressure plate fingers to push the throwout bearing rearward, which compresses that not-very-stiff spring into the "foot is nowhere near the clutch pedal" fully engaged position.

Change my mind?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/2/19 3:57 p.m.

Not sure about your description, but Yes, the throwout bearing will be in constant contact with the fingers of the pressure plate.  If you are able to access it, you should be able to pry it back another centimeter or so on a new clutch, because the fingers will rise as the clutch disc wears.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/19 4:34 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

thanks for confirming.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/19 8:21 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

I'm fairly sure that all hydraulic clutches, by nature, are constantly in contact with the pressure plate.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/2/19 9:39 p.m.
Knurled. said:
AngryCorvair said:

I'm fairly sure that all hydraulic clutches, by nature, are constantly in contact with the pressure plate.

If you go way back in history, 510 Datsuns and the like had an adjustable push rod on the slave, and a return spring that bottoms the piston.  Haven't seen any like that since the mid 70's, though.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
10/2/19 10:23 p.m.

Ditto. Constant contact and only hydraulic force is pushing the bearing face into the pp fingers. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ULdplYNJICHErwjWyI9wOEWo6tJmxlxL3kjoztVefnt5Olo10X6zHU87JyBFl5Oq