patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/08 8:18 a.m.

i'm looking at a super clean nice 1993 audi 100c sedan.

it has a bad headgasket, which is perfect for what i am looking for. this car is the non quattro unit - which gimp told me is FWD.

my question is: is the floorpan the same between quattro and FWD models when it was offered in the same line? like is there a tunnel for driveshaft and room for a rear differential? could a quattro rear axle assembly be bolted in? if so how much power/torque can they handle?

some of you know where i'm going with this, for those who don't i'm looking for a new daily driver and home for my LS1

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/08 8:26 a.m.

The later cars rear will handle unbelievable amounts of powerbut IIRC the 100s were not all that stout.

The floor pans are close enough for what you are doing but personally take a good long look at the cowl before buying. the Audis engine is almost 100% in front of the front axle and the cowl does not have the typical relief for a transmission tunnel.

patgizz
12/18/08 8:32 a.m.

In reply to John Brown:

i plan to go over(under?) it well.

i did think ahead about 6 years ago when i scrapped my camaro and cut out the tranny tunnel from the firewall all the way back and keep it.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
12/18/08 11:09 a.m.

I dont think an audi is at all a good idea for an LS1 swap. They are designed to have the engine sitting way up in thr front, not sitting back under the dashboard. There are just as many cheap dead bmws as there are cheap dead audis, and that would work way better.

patgizz
12/18/08 11:14 a.m.

someone has to be different.

i've been trying to find a rust free 91-94 Z34 for 5 years and everyone thinks they are worth a fortune when in reality it's a gussied up lumina.

where is the steering rack on an audi?

John Brown
12/18/08 11:28 a.m.

Some poor bastard is selling a certain TGP in Lansing again ;)

Check CL!

patgizz
12/18/08 12:30 p.m.

meh - i really hate the look of w body grand prixsesisz

i liked MY car because a - it was mine, 2 - it had the flush mount spoiler, and c - it was mine.

really i just liked it cause of the turbo and the 5 speed i swapped in. then i got bored quick. i'm bored with the p71 right now. i think i need to stop looking for other cars and quit being bored with my daily driver. i'm a car slut - i get one and drive it a while, then i get bored and off it and go for another. i have the core that i keep(belair, corvette) and everything else is a revolving door. i'm 28 and i've had 35 cars that i can remember so far.

John Brown
12/18/08 12:32 p.m.

I want a $1200.00 P71 ;)

patgizz
12/18/08 4:37 p.m.

look at the cleveland CL

mine was 1800, then i did intake manifold, paint, new back seat, and tons of cleaning.

speaking of being a car slut, i bought what i hope to be able to make our $2009 car for 500 bux today with some stuff i can sell for way more than initial investment. now if someone would make a cheap L92 carb intake and LSx stand alone ignition controller i'd be in business.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
12/18/08 9:53 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

I do the same damn thing with all my cars. If I own the same one for more than a year its pretty shocking. I buy one, fix it up, learn all about it, get bored and want a new daily driven toy. Im on the miata chapter.

Supercoupe
Supercoupe New Reader
12/18/08 10:34 p.m.
patgizz said: where is the steering rack on an audi?

It's up against the firewall above the transmission, could be a problem if your moving the engine rearward.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/08 11:11 p.m.
Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
12/18/08 11:46 p.m.

The other thing about putting an LS! in an audi is that you cold make more power with an audi engine, and probbly do it cheaper. But if being different is the goal, then why not. lol

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5LCVi5E3XLPZdBHgnBvnyX1pjP1DgvhdQFPeRUW8vYDoNoZRqBNWr9OIpuC9wPyH