MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/18 8:55 p.m.

Im seeing a ton of cheaper auto NB's in my price range for a rallyx car. I know it would likely be slow but i dont want to use my 95m for rallyx.  I am assuming the general mods still apply + adding a transcooler and trans fluid temp sensor?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/23/18 9:20 p.m.

I mean, anything is fun to rallycross. But I'm not sure why you would settle for an automatic miata, when there are plenty of more competitive cars available with a manual for similar price. Is the difference in price between an MT and AT Miata so much in your area?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/18 9:36 p.m.

One thing to know is that AT Miatas all have open diffs.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
4/23/18 9:37 p.m.

Honestly, from what I've seen in other cars, the auto isn't going to be any slower in rallyx.  In wouldn't even be surprised if it's faster because of smoother power application and no "crap, I should have downshifted" moments (which can bite badly in an underpowered car). 

MrChaos
4/24/18 5:04 a.m.

In reply to irish44j :

manual miatas of the same price range have 50-60k more miles

jungle
jungle New Reader
4/24/18 1:49 p.m.

for rally-x you MUST have a hard top....roll bars are not sufficent.  :(

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
4/24/18 2:06 p.m.
jungle said:

for rally-x you MUST have a hard top....roll bars are not sufficent.  :(

More specifically, a factory / OEM hardtop.  No aftermarket hardtops allowed.  

MrChaos
4/24/18 2:32 p.m.

I will use the OEM one from my 95m if I get another Miata.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/24/18 4:01 p.m.
MrChaos said:

In reply to irish44j :

manual miatas of the same price range have 50-60k more miles

I'd take double the miles + M/T over less miles + A/T for rallycross any day. Aren't Miatas supposed to be super-reliable anyhow? Why would miles really matter for a rallycross car.....minor rust and cosmetic/paint condition isn't a concern....more wear on bushings, etc is not a concern. The interior is gonna get dirty/dusty so no point in having a nice interir, and you're gonna blow the factory shocks immediately anyhow so that's not an issue either. I think for a track car it might be a different story, but probably not for a rallycross car, where you're going to have to replace a lot of the stock stuff anyhow at some point. 

Just my 2c though...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vJYlsWRZaDfmnfEk5mVGBH2rJ2T7dSo0RnoxJAmkYkJHiatj31DriW8d9np0F3sH