mith612
mith612 New Reader
11/3/09 7:33 p.m.

Recently came across an NA miata for cheap money, only downfall being that is an autotragic. It's also having some transmission issues that started about two months ago. Driving from Mass to Maine it started to act up, not going into fourth gear despite being in D. He had a mechanic flush the tranny but that didn't seem to help. Hasn't really been driven since then.

So what are the thoughts on that? I'm thinking electrical issue with the overdrive system (maybe the button not being on) could cause that. Or some kind of systemic failure internally.

Either way it could be driven til it explodes then five speed swap ...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/3/09 8:23 p.m.

Automatic NA's had something like ten fewer horsepower. That's all I know about them.

unevolved
unevolved New Reader
11/3/09 8:39 p.m.

We have an automatic car in the fleet at work (Texas World Speedway). Being by far the slowest car we own, due to its powertrain and stock suspension, it's constantly abused. The poor thing has never seen the far side of 85 mph (even diving at the back straightaway on a 2.2 mile banked oval), and the 1-2 shift is a little abrupt when cold, but the thing's a trooper. We've had some dumbasses spin it violently from trying to "downshift" entering a corner and break the back end loose, and it's still hanging on.

Aside from your issue, I'm not sure what's going on with it, but I vote drive it 'til it explodes. That's a time-tested troubleshooting method. Exacerbate the issue until all uncertainty is absolved.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/09 10:21 a.m.

The 1.6 cars had less horsepower, but the 1.8s get all 128-133 pounding horsies!

I know nothing about the automatics other than the fact that I can never find the clutch pedal for some reason. Good luck!

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
11/4/09 10:44 a.m.

In reply to Keith:

"Keith" "Miata" "...know nothing"

Does not compute!

Keith
11/4/09 1:13 p.m.

You'll get the same answer if you ask me about the best audio setup for one, or who makes the nicest floor mats or convertible top. I'm kinda focused

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/09 5:42 p.m.
Keith wrote: You'll get the same answer if you ask me about the best audio setup for one, or who makes the nicest floor mats or convertible top. I'm kinda focused

Can you tell me about the little chrome, carbon fiber or woodgrain pieces that I can stick onto my car after peeling off the protective film or do I need to consult Miatanet for the real experts?

mith612
mith612 New Reader
11/4/09 10:04 p.m.

Is there any sort of guideline as to what other options are possible with the auto? IE does it always have p/s or never have a LSD or is everything fair game? Car is a 1990.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/09 10:08 p.m.

is asking about an Autotranny the only time Miata is not the answer?

Keith
11/4/09 11:16 p.m.

Check Mazda Miata: Find It, Fix It, Trick It. There's a full rundown of packages for all years from 1990-05. I know the 1.8 autos never came with LSDs, but the viscous LSD used in 1990 was a standalone option so it may be possible. Automatic 1990s are pretty rare beasties and there isn't that much information on the packages even in the book.

Unless you actually want an automatic, I'd stay away. As Woody pointed out, the car's 10 hp down - and it only started with 116.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0xX4sCtOLw8Y4OMOflQFmxf4MJ7RUpyc4fQuhWfikcpAhJXpNTia71CHB3eiBlkT