1 2 3
racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
7/9/14 9:59 a.m.

For Street class, which would you choose? Not to compete against each other, but which to use as a dual purpose autocross-DD.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
7/9/14 10:07 a.m.

Frisbee.

-more practical as DD

-easier to find the right car (year/options)

-classed more competitively (because Corvette vs. S2000)

Anecdotal reports of Frisbee fragility seem to be more focused on STX prep, but warranty would be my fourth bullet point if "new" is an option.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/14 10:10 a.m.

Yeah for dual-purpose, the Toyobaru's practicality is a huge advantage.

Edit: performance-wise they are actually very close stock vs. stock, and that's with the Toyobaru driving on relatively skinny eco-tires.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/9/14 10:16 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Yeah for dual-purpose, the Toyobaru's practicality is a huge advantage. Edit: performance-wise they are actually very close stock vs. stock, and that's with the Toyobaru driving on relatively skinny eco-tires.

Like how close?

GameboyRMH
7/9/14 10:23 a.m.
mr2peak wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Yeah for dual-purpose, the Toyobaru's practicality is a huge advantage. Edit: performance-wise they are actually very close stock vs. stock, and that's with the Toyobaru driving on relatively skinny eco-tires.
Like how close?

I remember when Toyota was testing one on the Nordschleife, a stock S2k was out in the same session and they were 7 seconds apart.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
7/9/14 10:37 a.m.

But I was told the BRZ/FRS's were under powered....

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
7/9/14 12:26 p.m.

Most drivers in a stock S2k would probably struggle in a drag race against stock modern minivans...They're not exactly overpowered either. However the frisbee being that close sounds more like driver skill than actual raw performance potential.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/9/14 1:21 p.m.

Interesting testing on just a tire change to the FRS.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-reports/scion-fr-s-tire-transformation

We all know the Eco tires suck but it seems like they really slow the thing down a lot.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
7/9/14 3:20 p.m.

For DD. S2K 11 times out of 10 because its a very. If the scoobie was a soft top then it would win 13 times out of 10

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
7/9/14 3:29 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: For DD. S2K 11 times out of 10 because its a very. If the scoobie was a soft top then it would win 13 times out of 10

Is this an actual post, or just word jazz?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/9/14 3:36 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: Most drivers in a stock S2k would probably struggle in a drag race against stock modern minivans...They're not exactly overpowered either. However the frisbee being that close sounds more like driver skill than actual raw performance potential.

Emilio of 949Racing fame has gone on record saying that mod for mod, the Frisbee is pretty much untouchable in Nasa TT competition, including the S2000. It's faster.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
7/9/14 3:40 p.m.
aircooled wrote: But I was told the BRZ/FRS's were under powered....

They most certainly are not. But they damn sure feel that way, at least to me.

I'm still bitter about the way the power delivery feels to me. For whatever reason, it isn't right, and I was really hoping this would be my next car. Still might be, but if the deliver felt more like a stook or my Miata, I'd be in one today.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
7/9/14 3:44 p.m.

Nothing that $4000 worth of supercharger can't make a dent in.

Adrian_Thompson
7/9/14 4:50 p.m.
Duke wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: For DD. S2K 11 times out of 10 because its a very. If the scoobie was a soft top then it would win 13 times out of 10

OK. For a DD the S2000 as its a very any time over the Scoobie. If the scoobie was a very, then that

GameboyRMH
7/9/14 5:17 p.m.

Adrian, I think you're having a stroke

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
7/9/14 7:16 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider:

I don't doubt this a bit. Just an observation from a couple recent events is the amount of understeer is noticeable as well as being more far audible on the eco-tires versus one running a better tire.

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/9/14 7:27 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Vert with spell check or fat thumbs?

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
7/9/14 8:46 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Duke wrote:
OK. For a DD the S2000 as its a very any time over the Scoobie. If the scoobie was a very, then that

I think you have an intermittent short in the old wiring harness, bud.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
7/9/14 8:59 p.m.

I got two runs in a friend's brz sunday, all stock with competitive street tires, direzzas I think. the chassis felt great, good brakes but too grabby for my taste, abs I felt was intrusive trying to manipulate a little lfb rotation, it turns in nice but it didn't feel as grippy as I was expecting sort of on the edge all the time, shifter and ergonomics were nice enough, but my biggest issue was I just couldn't get over what felt like a giant gaping hole of missing torque right where you want it out of a corner. it's got plenty of last 2k rpm power but I swear an s2000, especially a later 2.2L even though it's technically peakier I feel delivers it much nicer. s2k for me I think. plus its a convertible and fits me like a glove.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
7/9/14 10:02 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Emilio of 949Racing fame has gone on record saying that mod for mod, the Frisbee is pretty much untouchable in Nasa TT competition, including the S2000. It's faster.

I'd be curious to see where that statement was made, because there is a big difference between "mod for mod" and "modified equally to the fullest extent of the class rules". One implies they are equivalent each and every step of the way, while the other implies they do not reach parity until a certain specific combimation of mods has been reached. I have a feeling the internet lore being spread is the former, while reality is the later.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
7/9/14 10:30 p.m.

Frisbee wins in just about every department imo.
Never mind the part where I don't fit in an S2K, or like convertibles.

Adrian_Thompson
7/10/14 5:08 a.m.

Sorry guys. I'm in the UK posting from my phone when I find free WiFi. Autocorrect keeps screwing me. Vert as in convertible. My preference is always a vert.

Choppa87
Choppa87 New Reader
7/10/14 9:01 a.m.

S2000 because cheaper. Cheaper means more money for mods or more money for you :)

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
7/10/14 9:17 a.m.

I pick S2000 because of styling, cockpit, higher stock power, and better engine. The lump in the Frisbee just doesn't do it for me. And the Frisbee is marginally more practical than an S2000. Have you seen the trunks on both cars? The opening is hilariously small on the Frisbee.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
7/10/14 9:20 a.m.

To answer the OP:

If it was the only vehicle I had access to on a daily basis, FRS/BRZ. If my daily commute was fighting traffic jams or long distance, FRS/BRZ. Otherwise S2000.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DiSyuPmahV5NqpSFtPxdMB1cn7ngDowonKE539Fkq9IDNt61aPHRnsfTmMaLH3sq