1 2
goodtimegator
goodtimegator
11/2/10 3:01 p.m.

I have an 04 mustang v6 that i've autocrossed a couple of times and was wondering what would be a good street tire for it. I would be mounting these tires on 15" wheels. thanks!!!

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/2/10 3:03 p.m.

Dunlop Star Spec work well on a vehicle of that weight. Two thumbs up.

bigbens6
bigbens6 New Reader
11/2/10 3:04 p.m.

hankook ventus v12 k110 evo

goodtimegator
goodtimegator New Reader
11/2/10 3:33 p.m.

THANKS!!!!

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/2/10 4:29 p.m.
bigbens6 wrote: hankook ventus v12 k110 evo

I just bought these on tirerack. I have not had them long enought to judge them, but buy four before the end of the month and there is a $60 rebate.

http://www.tirerack.com/specialoffers/details.jsp?promoID=H024

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
11/2/10 4:40 p.m.

How would the above tires compare to a Kumho ECSTA XS?

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
11/2/10 5:23 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: How would the above tires compare to a Kumho ECSTA XS?

The XS as an autocross tire? Grippy. Love heat. Loosy-goosy when cold. Diabolical in the rain.

No experience daily driving. YMMV

pigeon
pigeon Dork
11/2/10 9:13 p.m.
bigbens6 wrote: hankook ventus v12 k110 evo

I ran a pair of those off the rear of my 750Li in in one summer - about 10k street miles plus two autocrosses. I loved them, they stuck great and coped with 360ft-lbs and 360hp in a 4550 lb car without complaint, but I couldn't stomach the wear rate.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
11/3/10 9:19 a.m.

The only problem with Star Specs or the XS is the lack of a 15" tire size that will work well with that car (way too small in both height and width).

Unless you're trying to stay in a Stock class, moving to a 17" rim will give you a lot more tire options.

goodtimegator
goodtimegator New Reader
11/3/10 10:47 a.m.

Just to clarify, The stock wheels are 16" But a friend of mine has 4 15" alum wheels. That I would change at the track.

Klayfish
Klayfish Reader
11/3/10 12:03 p.m.

What's your budget? If you're looking for low cost, take a look at Sumitomo HTR-Z. I ran them several years back in autox and some HPDE. I had one set last 6 or 7 autox events and 2 HPDE days (albeit I'm a novice) with some tread left to spare. I thought they handled really well too, considering their price.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
11/3/10 12:38 p.m.

Go browse Tire Rack and check the specs (overall diameter). The problem is none of the tire brands offer decent 15" tires that will fit well on a Mustang. They're all too small.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
11/3/10 1:03 p.m.

That's the first I've EVER heard anyone say anything good about Sumis other than how cheap they are.

goodtimegator
goodtimegator New Reader
11/3/10 1:09 p.m.

klayfish, well i'm not made of money but I wouldn't mind dropping some coin for good tires that would last a season. I'll look at the sumitomos.
ian,yes the biggest ones i could find were 225/50-15, but not all manufactures have that size. I'll keep looking!

Ian F
Ian F Dork
11/3/10 1:30 p.m.

If you find something, let me know. I've been looking for the past two years and have found nothing.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
11/3/10 1:49 p.m.

XS's are really cheap especially when you consider their level of performance. they are great tires as long as you stay out of the cold and wet...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
11/3/10 2:12 p.m.

@Capt Slow - how cold's "cold"? Are we talking sub-freezing temps, or just a brisk morning?

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
11/3/10 3:00 p.m.

approximately 55ish,

kazoospec
kazoospec New Reader
11/3/10 6:24 p.m.

I'm gonna second the Sumi HTR Z III recommendation. First, they are cheap. I.e. Don't really feel bad about tearing them up cheap. Second, they are decent to good in the rain. Appeared to be better than some of the "big name" tires at rain events. (How do I know? Its somehow managed to rain EVERY TIME I RACED THIS SUMMER! Cleansing breath, re-center, continue) Third, they have pretty good overall grip. My only real gripe with them is they aren't exceptionally crisp on turn in. If your driving style doesn't involve sawing the wheel maniacally, they are pretty good. For example, if you nail the timing on a slalom, they are fast, really fast, probably on par with the aforementioned XS/Star Specs. If you screw up and need a quick correction, its just not there. That may not be a bad thing if, like me, you are "newish" at autocross. Sometimes you've gotta pay for your mistakes to realize you're making them. Fourth, wear seems pretty good. I've done several autocrosses and a HDPE-style road course autocross and about 4000 street miles with them and it looks like they will last (treadwear at least) for at least another summer.

Perfect, no. Cheap, yes. I'll probably buy another set when these wear out.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
11/3/10 6:59 p.m.

However... the HTR III is only available in 17" +... and the OP is asking for 15" tires...

kazoospec
kazoospec New Reader
11/3/10 7:42 p.m.
Ian F wrote: However... the HTR III is only available in 17" +... and the OP is asking for 15" tires...

Sounds like a good excuse for wheel upgrade to me!

goodtimegator
goodtimegator New Reader
11/4/10 9:22 a.m.

Yes! There's alot of different ways I can go on this. Would like to make a decision in the next couple of weeks, the last autocross of the year is nov.28th, in Deland, Fla. and would like to have this set up. Thanks for everyones imput!

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
11/4/10 9:55 a.m.

You might also want to check the latest tire test articles...

Street Touring Tire Test 1

Street Touring Tire Test 2

goodtimegator
goodtimegator New Reader
11/15/10 2:21 p.m.

Well I ordered 4 BFG g-force drag radials. Now I know what alot of you are thinking, why is he putting drag racing tires on his autocross car? Well I did a LOT of reserach on this one, and since I my racing wheels that were GIVIN' to me, these wre the best fit for me. 235/60R15. I'll be in Deland Florida Nov.28th. for the last autocross of the year, White 2004 Mustang#26

Will
Will HalfDork
11/15/10 6:53 p.m.
goodtimegator wrote: Well I ordered 4 BFG g-force drag radials. Now I know what alot of you are thinking, why is he putting drag racing tires on his autocross car? Well I did a LOT of reserach on this one

You should have done more research.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W4l5430Nc6UQoZhhoKWaex2ibw968jjzZuPwJLiojILsKscoECxuVK24Bf1CPoop