1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/12 10:57 p.m.

The weather sucked, but it was awesome!!! We were probably the slowest car out there, but we definitely had the most fun. This car is a giant, stupid, riot. 400TQ + open diff = one-wheel-peel the entire course. I looped it once so gracefully it looked like art. I got slow-clapped by the corner workers.

Pics!

So, things I learned:

• 285/30/18's on 18x9.5's don't fit the front. A 9" wheel and a 275 are the absolute max, and that would still require gentle massage. I'd feel much better with a 255 or 265 on an 8.5" wheel. It rubs on the fender lips on the corners in full droop or compression or full lock. If you go inboard any more it rubs the upper a-arm and spring.
  • The same wheels (+38) fit the rear perfectly. There's actually a lot of room to go outboard, so say a 10, 10.5, or 11" wheel would do even better. 315's or 335's are not out of the question for stock wheel wells! Also, it needs it. Most of the weight is up front and torque from idle is bad for traction.
  • Kuhmo V710's don't work in rain squalls. We ran second and waited until the last second to choose tires (had a set of W710's on 17's as well) and went with the dry tires. Co-driver got one run, and I got in the car, to a hailstorm. It was socked in the rest of our run group.
  • The 65-amp alternator and 4-year old NAPA battery don't work. We were getting cut-out and thought it was fuel, turns out it was electrons. A new Optima (ouch) solved that! I should swap alternators though.
  • The open diff is a total AX dealbreaker in this car. Even in the dry the torque just melts the tire into oblivion. I need an LSD of some sort.
  • The steering box is too slow for a few transitions. I need to look into a quicker ratio factory box.
  • The Motorcraft carburetor sucks. It is so past time for an Edelbrock.
  • The suspension actually works well. Needs more camber and maybe a bigger front bar before making any drastic changes.
  • Time for new seats and belts!
  • I HAD A BLAST!!!!!!
DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
10/20/12 11:05 p.m.

You had fun out on that lake?

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
10/21/12 8:09 a.m.

In reply to DoctorBlade:

Well if you are going on a lake, it is best to take a boat! (snicker)

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
10/21/12 8:51 a.m.
Javelin wrote: We were probably the slowest car out there, but we definitely had the most fun. This car is a giant, stupid, riot.

I know exactly how you feel. Greg let me ride along in his turbobrick station wagon a few years ago. Autocrossing a station wagon puts a HUGE stupid grin on my face.

Hntsvl_E30
Hntsvl_E30 New Reader
10/21/12 9:05 a.m.

Too much fun!

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
10/21/12 9:55 a.m.

Yep, slicks don't work very well in the wet. The only time to take a car on a lake is when it is frozen but slicks don't work on ice either. I auto crossed a Gremlin once, definately needed a steering quickener,

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
10/21/12 12:29 p.m.

I haven't been spending as much time on here so I didn't realize you had the Javelin running yet; awesome, man! Something very addictive about AXing a high torque RWD with not quite enough suspension to do the job right

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
10/21/12 1:15 p.m.

That thing is so ugly! AND SO AWESOME! Looks like you had fun!

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon HalfDork
10/21/12 8:16 p.m.

I never thought I would see RPF1s on a muscle car, but thats pretty awesome! And as long as you had fun, it was a successful autocross.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
10/21/12 8:31 p.m.

That car has a Saginaw steering box--I think you can find one from a mid/late 80s F-Body...and have problem solved.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon HalfDork
10/22/12 8:22 a.m.

I spy a gopro in one of those pics..... So where are the vids?! :D

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
10/22/12 8:31 a.m.

haha. Looks like a blast.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
10/22/12 8:55 a.m.

Javelin, well done. We all know how much this car means to you. It's been awesome to watch you bring it back to life, I'm truly happy for you.

LSD? How about LSD by Lincoln Electric, it can't be that bad on the street can it?

With a front heavy car like that I'd do everything I could to stay square on the wheels and tires, I think you'd have an (even more?) of an understeer pig with smaller wheels/tires on the front. Can you go inboard at the front to gain more width? And/or are you adverse to massaging the lip at the front? It's not like you've gone 100% stoick with the brake updgrades etc?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/22/12 8:55 a.m.

Man, I think I saw a bow wave. Looks like a lot of fun! Last time I got caught in the rain, I was in an open top car wearing shorts and a T shirt, I got soaked and froze my azz off the rest of the day.

Javelin
10/22/12 9:05 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: I spy a gopro in one of those pics..... So where are the vids?! :D

Working on it!

Javelin
10/22/12 9:06 a.m.
ST_ZX2 wrote: That car has a Saginaw steering box--I think you can find one from a mid/late 80s F-Body...and have problem solved.

For cereal? I will have to look into this for sure...

Javelin
10/22/12 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

It's not worth welding the spider gears because then the 2-piece axleshafts will snap. The stock AMC Model 20 in those years was a POS, and mine has a 2.87 gear so I can't really upgrade the gear, either. I'm considering just swapping in an entire Ford 8.8 axle. Then I'd get an LSD, decent gears, rear discs, and easy upgrades in one shot, plus they're lighter.

Inboard we hit the upper A-arm, spring, and tie-rod. Outside we smashed the fenders back with a hammer (gotta love a beater!). There's just no more room without re-doing the suspension to a tubular arm and coil-over, and then you'd still have tie-rod issues. I'm not adverse to keeping the rear tires smaller to square them with the front, but this was too big up front no matter what. I'm hoping the 9" FR500 will fit and like a 265 tire, plus actual fender lip massage. I'll do some die-grinding on the a-arm and tie-rod, too.

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
10/22/12 9:26 a.m.

Glad I am not the only crazy one!

Javelin
10/22/12 12:29 p.m.

Results are out, 46 of 52 overall and 26 of 32 in class!

You can always be proud with a run description of 100+ seconds and a DNF.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
10/22/12 1:21 p.m.

Number of companies selling 1-piece axle shafts and posi's or similar LSD's. Supposed to be a great axle after a switch to decent shafts.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
10/22/12 1:27 p.m.

Now you've got me wanting to try running my '72 Chevy C10 in Street Prepared next year!

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
10/22/12 1:37 p.m.

Autocross is like Golf. It's a ton more fun if you don't worry about your scrore.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/22/12 1:38 p.m.

well, considering that this time last year that thing was a moldy mess with more working parts in the trunk than under the hood, Id say youre doing it right!

CONGRATS!

Javelin
10/22/12 2:00 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Number of companies selling 1-piece axle shafts and posi's or similar LSD's. Supposed to be a great axle after a switch to decent shafts.

I would have to find another gearset and bearings to go into a 3-something gear, plus buy an LSD ($399 is the cheapest), plus buy the axles, and I would still have drums.

Or I can spend $50-$200 at a JY and get an 8.8" with a stronger gearset, better gears, factory LSD, good axles, and rear discs.

Javelin
10/22/12 2:01 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: well, considering that this time last year that thing was a moldy mess with more working parts in the trunk than under the hood, Id say youre doing it right! CONGRATS!

THANK YOU!!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QLKwKduQOlqBl7IqafvcSCQ27CKSnMdeY0cJjDrWWIvbmMyqZczV2ruaaviIQYRm