Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
5/8/17 9:16 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/HiO6xSC5Fsg

Steven Duckworth claimed a class win at SCCA's 2016 Tire Rack Solo Nationals in this VW Rabbit built by Geoff and Nadine Zimmer—known as the Lamborbunny. Meet the fine folks who created this epic cone killer.

We cover stories like Paul's all the time in our magazine. You can subscribe for a full year for just $19.99 right here.

Watch more videos

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
5/8/17 9:29 a.m.

That car showed up at an Atlanta region autocross not too long ago. It was FAST. Like trading times with Matt Glagola's modified Elise fast. IIRC I'm pretty sure Glagola eventually go FTD, but the bunny still took PAX. It was definitely fun to watch.

appliance_racer
appliance_racer Reader
5/8/17 10:03 a.m.

These are the cars that I really enjoy watching. The "unusual" cars that somebody has taken the time to sort and wrench on until they are way faster than expected. I know rabbits can be quick but when was the last time you saw one this competitive?

Any tech info? I suspect by the "good car" comment at the end that any set up info is probably highly classified within the lambobunny organization but you never know.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
5/8/17 11:05 a.m.

I wonder what the spring/wheel rates are. That thing is stiff.

Well thought out for sure.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/8/17 1:41 p.m.

Does that car have a 16 valve? (I don't see the distributor) or a 20 valve?

Not that it matters, looks great whatever is in it...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/17 2:30 p.m.

I've been watching that car run since I started autocrossing. It's stupid quick.

Zimmer drilling holes in things is a standing joke around here. I'm pretty sure there isn't a piece on that car that doesn't have holes drilled in it to lighten it up as much as possible.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
5/8/17 2:31 p.m.

Geoff was fast in that car 25 years ago and it just gets faster! He is quite the innovator!

84FSP
84FSP Dork
5/8/17 6:58 p.m.
iceracer wrote: I wonder what the spring/wheel rates are. That thing is stiff. Well thought out for sure.

There are a handful of guys that have done amazing things to the rabbits over the years. What is most interesting is the opposite ends of the spectrum the fast guys exist on. Typical spring rates are 400-600lbs on a sub1800 lb beast. I'm running 400f and 550R nut sadly the driver is the weak link.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TlSkGePa3LWfnEqZplgOeWeyXY7owtlDCSwcU00nWeQLwv81FoLka4WMyWFkFCS1