1 2
wae
wae HalfDork
10/18/14 11:04 p.m.
Woody wrote: I was always surprised that they didn't sell a gazillion of these things. They seemed like such a good idea at the time. I think they were killed off by early SUVs.

Same reasons that the Mazda 5 doesn't fly off the lots, I suppose. Too much "bigger is better", "wagons are bad", and "minivans are surrender" attitude flying around out there. If I didn't know what it was, I'd totally believe you that it was the precursor to the Mazda 5.

Does it only have a sliding door on the right side? That picture makes it look to me like there's only a driver door on the left side.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/14 11:07 p.m.

Yep, only a sliding door on the right.

And the brake master cylinder is on the right side as well. I was thinking the master cylinder looked kind of small and had no booster, then I realized I was looking at the clutch master and the brake was on the other side.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
10/19/14 12:15 a.m.

So is it a minivan or compact car?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/19/14 6:32 a.m.
EvanB wrote: I haven't bought a car for awhile and was feeling the itch. Today I was refreshing CL every few minutes with the price parameters on cheap to see what would turn up. I saw an ad pop up for a 92 Eagle Summit with a 5-speed manual and a bad brake line. No pictures but it said it was a hatchback. Since it was only 5 minutes from my house I called the seller and drove over. Turns out he was selling it for his father who is 94 and doesn't drive much anymore. Towed it home with the Volvo and took some pictures. Not bad entertainment for $300. It runs great, just need to find the hole in the brake line and run some new lines.

Mucho cool.
Some quick searching says that wheels are 4x100 with 57.1 center bore. This means that any Chrtsler K-car and Neon derived 4x100 rim will fit perfect. Also Audi, BMW and VW 14x100's are 57.1 center bore so there should be lots of JY options to wheel upgrade.
Source: http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/Wheel-Bolt-Pattern-Cross-Reference-Database.asp?LugCount=5&StudSpreadInch=4.75&StudSpreadMM#axzz3GaYMVxje

Fill up the wheel wells a bit more and maybe some light tint to the expansive windows is all I would do to it.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/19/14 6:45 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: So is it a minivan or compact car?

Yes.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
10/19/14 7:01 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
Yes.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
10/19/14 7:02 a.m.

You do know that this car could have come with AWD, correct.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/19/14 7:23 a.m.

The rear seat can be slide fore and aft creating big leg room.
Additionally, the whole rear seat can be removed for mega cargo.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
10/19/14 8:14 a.m.

I'm glad to see the positive response. I was afraid I'd get banned for what I am about to say:
I drove a lot of those back at the Jeep/Eagle dealership. I was surprised at how fun and tossable those cars were. Nice man.
I can't remember the year, but there was one year Summit that had an alternator that was $800 just for the part!! And that was back in mid-90s dollars!!

EvanB
10/19/14 8:41 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I was under the impression that they were 4x114.3. 4x100 would be better since I have a stack of those in my garage but no 4x114.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/19/14 9:35 a.m.

The Internet told me that minivans have sliding doors and that is what makes them minivans.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/19/14 9:38 a.m.
EvanB wrote: In reply to JohnRW1621: I was under the impression that they were 4x114.3. 4x100 would be better since I have a stack of those in my garage but no 4x114.

I recall the Summit/Precis era cars were 4x100, but man it's been a long time.

If only you had a floor jack and some 4x100 wheels to try out. As I discovered with my Nissan, even if the hub pilot is incompatible, you can still at least get the wheel over the studs.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/19/14 9:39 a.m.

In reply to EvanB:
I searched Plymouth Colt of '86-'93.
Hard to say if the wagon was different from the Sedan but I am sure you will know soon enough.

EvanB
10/19/14 9:45 a.m.

I'll have to test out some wheels on it when I get a chance.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
10/19/14 5:18 p.m.

I've always kind of wanted one of those things, just because the idea of an actually small 'van' with sliding doors, a manual, and good mpg is basically a concept that i worship. Thus my attachment to the early Caravans (which also have turbo, 5spd, and awd possibilities although noone has yet done all 3 to the same van).

It's kind of sad that by the time Mazda5s hit this price range, new vehicles of twice the size will all get 45 mpg and noone will give a E36 M3 anymore.

EvanB
10/19/14 5:22 p.m.

cghstang
cghstang Dork
10/19/14 5:29 p.m.

Didn't Stan have one of these for a while too? I definitely need to drive it before you get rid of it.

EvanB
10/19/14 5:31 p.m.

I know he had a Mitsubishi Mirage coupe but I don't know what else he had.

I'm at least keeping it through the winter and maybe longer for rainy day transport. Found out that the brake line leaking is the where the hard line wraps around the left front strut. That should be easy to replace.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
djXrC3nDStWYZHyyn9jzHReI3lv1BmmvRWWZ8JDh1Jjq6SUNNimeJC7Tt2tYok2n