1 2 3 4 ... 6
Taiden
Taiden Dork
12/29/11 12:13 p.m.

I don't even know what 'paddling lead' is.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/29/11 12:17 p.m.
Taiden wrote: I don't even know what 'paddling lead' is.

They used lead instead of Bondo basically.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
12/29/11 12:23 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: Reaming king pins. Adjusting brakes. Changing to "winter" oil and "winter" tires. Hand-mounting tires (I still do it). "Breaking" tire beads by driving a car over the edge of the tire. Hand lapping valves (I actually don't think this is such a good idea). Pouring bearing (I've seen this done). Hand crank starting (for me on many, many British cars + my plane) Retarding timing for starting (see above) Changing a canister oil filter. Replacing gudgeon pins. Understanding a vacuum gauge. Push starting a car. Jump starting a car by bringing the (steel) bumpers in contact and using just one cable. Ridge reaming. Working in a car from a "pit". Changing valve seals without pulling the head. Changing a "rope type" rear main seal. Polarizing a generator. Installing seat covers. Adjusting GM points-type distributor with a hex wrench. I could go on and on.......

Changing a canister filter, Push starting, and workin from a pit were all checked off the list by me last in 2000, when I worked for an Insta-line quick-o lube-o change-o place.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
12/29/11 12:33 p.m.

Just curious, how many people on this board have never touched a carburetor? I haven't (well, I've touched one, but never adjusted anything on it). All of my cars have been fuel injected. Same thing with friends' cars.

And yes, this does make me feel inadequate, so please hold off on the name-calling. Bob

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
12/29/11 12:39 p.m.
Taiden wrote:
Zomby woof wrote: When was the last time anybody here aimed a headlight?
The real question is when is the last time I found a flat piece of asphalt that was right next to a wall?

adjusted the GP headlamps Tuesday night, 10' behind the garage door for ballpark but nailed it first time

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
12/29/11 12:41 p.m.
Schmidlap wrote: Just curious, how many people on this board have never touched a carburetor? I haven't (well, I've touched one, but never adjusted anything on it). All of my cars have been fuel injected. Same thing with friends' cars. And yes, this does make me feel inadequate, so please hold off on the name-calling. Bob

you need to rebuild and tune a Holley... just because

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
12/29/11 12:44 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: Push starting a car

A 25 year old kid asked me last momnth to jump start his beater stick shift Saturn. I asked if he ever push started it; you know, pop the clutch.

He never heard of this. Replied like I just made it up.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
12/29/11 12:45 p.m.
pete240z wrote:
A 25 year old kid asked me last momnth to jump start his beater stick shift Saturn. I asked if he ever push started it; you know, pop the clutch. He never heard of this. Replied like I just made it up.

What has this world turned into?!

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/29/11 12:56 p.m.

gas welding. Everybody that works on cars / builds stuff just uses the old electric glue gun...the MIG

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
12/29/11 1:00 p.m.
Schmidlap wrote: Just curious, how many people on this board have never touched a carburetor? I haven't (well, I've touched one, but never adjusted anything on it). All of my cars have been fuel injected. Same thing with friends' cars. And yes, this does make me feel inadequate, so please hold off on the name-calling. Bob

this deserves a thread of its own

lets see... carburetors I've touched... WAAAAY to many to mention

but rebuilt!

Holley 4 bbl autolite 2100, and 4200.. might even be an 1100 if that is the 1bbl on a 170/200Ford SU-HS6 (also japanese version from L24 240Z) Stromberg 175 Weber DGV Aisin - a few different ones

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
12/29/11 1:27 p.m.

I used to have an '81 Toyota Starlet. It was running rough and wouldn't pass smog. Did all the basics and finally decided to pull the carb. Bought a rebuilt kit (Carquest guy was surprised that their warehouse had it in stock). Rebuilt the carb on my coffee table, removed the sealed plug to adjust fuel mixture, put back on and boom! Smooth running and to the surprise of the smog tech passed with flying colors... yup I was proud of myself.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/29/11 1:28 p.m.

I am about to attempt my hand at my first carburetor rebuild (a Weber 32 DMTRA).

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
12/29/11 1:36 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: Reaming king pins. Adjusting brakes. Changing to "winter" oil and "winter" tires. Hand-mounting tires (I still do it). "Breaking" tire beads by driving a car over the edge of the tire. Hand lapping valves (I actually don't think this is such a good idea). Pouring bearing (I've seen this done). Hand crank starting (for me on many, many British cars + my plane) Retarding timing for starting (see above) Changing a canister oil filter. Replacing gudgeon pins. Understanding a vacuum gauge. Push starting a car. Jump starting a car by bringing the (steel) bumpers in contact and using just one cable. Ridge reaming. Working in a car from a "pit". Changing valve seals without pulling the head. Changing a "rope type" rear main seal. Polarizing a generator. Installing seat covers. Adjusting GM points-type distributor with a hex wrench. I could go on and on.......
aeronca65t wrote: Hand lapping valves

Done this more times than I can count

aeronca65t wrote: Changing a canister oil filter.

Everytime I change the oil on my VR6 Passat.

aeronca65t wrote: Push starting a car.

Seems like I have to do this at least once or twice a year.

I've done a lot of them on the list, just not regularly. But using the bumpers as a ground while jumpstarting, I've never heard or thought of that.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
12/29/11 1:47 p.m.

I'm going to say anything having to do with carburetors is a good answer.

I prefer EFI systems, but I also have a degree in electrical engineering.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/29/11 2:07 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote:

Things I have done/do on a regular basis:

Adjusting brakes. Changing to "winter" oil and "winter" tires. Hand-mounting tires (I still do it). "Breaking" tire beads by driving a car over the edge of the tire. (note; we use a lift, but this is the only way to do Big Fat Slicks) Changing a canister oil filter. (most new engines are canister! less waste) Replacing gudgeon pins. Understanding a vacuum gauge. Push starting a car. Changing valve seals without pulling the head. Changing a "rope type" rear main seal. Polarizing a generator. Adjusting GM points-type distributor with a hex wrench.

My Subaru that I had years ago had the infamous ND start solenoid failure. Before I fixed it, I'd stick my left foot out the driver's door and push backwards while working the clutch right-footed. For a month. Always started by the second try

I'm shocked to see "changing to winter tires" on the list. Only people who are mental don't use snow tires. A set of new snow tires is cheaper than an insurance deductible. Some people will spend a whole lot of extra money for a truck, and the attendant higher running expenses, for the percieved safety, why not spend a few hundred bucks for something that actually does give better safety?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
12/29/11 2:11 p.m.
Knurled wrote: I'm shocked to see "changing to winter tires" on the list. Only people who are mental don't use snow tires. A set of new snow tires is cheaper than an insurance deductible. Some people will spend a whole lot of extra money for a truck, and the attendant higher running expenses, for the percieved safety, why not spend a few hundred bucks for something that actually does give better safety?

A used '93 Toyota Corolla was cheaper than a set of snow tires for my '11 Mustang.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/29/11 2:17 p.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: Driving.

No, this has always been something everyone thinks they are good at.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
12/29/11 2:29 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Changing a canister filter,

Not so fast. These are making a comeback.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
12/29/11 2:31 p.m.
Only people who are mental don't use snow tires. A set of new snow tires is cheaper than an insurance deductible.

or those of us who live south of the snow line. We just stay home on the 1 day every 5 years it snows!

Current MINI's still run canister oil filters too. I still own my vacuum guage but haven't used it since I had the Impala. I've rebuilt a bunch of carbs over the years. AND electrocuted myself adjusting a GM points set while running.

As much as we think these are lost arts, that may only be true in the semi-race circles we occupy. The resurgence in traditional hotrods (aka rat rods) has brought a lot of those things back from the dead and exposed a new generation to them. Same thing with some of the chop/channel/french/fillet style bodyworking. That's a plus no matter what I think of most ratrods. I'd still love to get my wrenches on a Flatty V8 or a straight 8 because I never have.

Oil bath carb breathers anyone?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/29/11 2:31 p.m.
Knurled wrote: I'm shocked to see "changing to winter tires" on the list. Only people who are mental don't use snow tires. A set of new snow tires is cheaper than an insurance deductible. Some people will spend a whole lot of extra money for a truck, and the attendant higher running expenses, for the percieved safety, why not spend a few hundred bucks for something that actually does give better safety?

I have never changed to snow tires.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/29/11 2:35 p.m.

Touched one, and watched a guy adjust it. Otherwise, no, I've done nothing with them. I'm trying to think if I've ever even driven a car with them, and I'm coming up blank.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/29/11 2:37 p.m.
pete240z wrote:
A 25 year old kid asked me last momnth to jump start his beater stick shift Saturn. I asked if he ever push started it; you know, pop the clutch. He never heard of this. Replied like I just made it up.

I asked my roommate if he had ever done it. He hadn't even heard of it, but tried it like I described later that week. He said that he looked like an idiot, and didn't get it to work. A little while later, we were in the car together in a parking garage, and I talked him through it when he brought it up. So I have taught someone how to do it!

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
12/29/11 2:42 p.m.

So if I am part of a younger generation (24), should I aspire to at least attempt most of the things listed here? I have done quite a few already.

I've been driving my 68' Ford over winter break and it has a 4bbl with no choke and manual brakes. Temperatures are plummeting but I'll keep using it until they put salt on the ground to keep the snow and ice at bay. I swapped the snow tires on my DD camaro around thanksgiving.

Taught my girl friend how to roll start her saturn and she giggled all the way down the block. And after watching Top Gear last night now she wants to find a classic Mini.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/29/11 2:52 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: Pouring bearing (I've seen this done). Hand crank starting (for me on many, many British cars + my plane) Polarizing a generator. Installing seat covers.

What are the "newest" cars that even need those first two things? I have to ask what is polarizing a generator? And I know plenty of people who have "installed" seat covers.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/29/11 3:01 p.m.

Whatever people regularly did with points, they don't anymore. In fact, the whole "tune-up" is a thing of the past.

While not skills, I think these are lost arts as well:

Smacking the starter motor with a hammer to start your car.

Pressurizing the washer-fluid reservoir with air pressure at the gas station.

Adjusting the manual choke.

De-coking something somewhere.

Getting tires re-treaded.

Winding down the passenger-side window while driving.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HxwKQsDZBrTyrNFWS2nhgt16dKwUwVNWB15cI44WpzVnHYL0RnOgxRUDrcuPjY1z