PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
6/26/14 2:23 p.m.

Which auto parts store has the best parts? Pep Boys, NAPA, Autozone, Advanced?

Or is it the distributors like Parts-Plus?

And when compared to the OEM parts from the dealer, will the dealer parts always be the best quality?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
6/26/14 2:29 p.m.

depends on what it is. truly. Hell, even depends on the manufacturer (honda, gm, ford, Kia, etc). 90% of all the electrical sensors for the Hy/Ki are OEM parts in aftermarket boxes. GM, Ford and Chryco used to outsource so much that much of their stuff was reboxed and sold everywhere.

After 10 years, I wouldn't buy anything electrical, emissions related or bearings for a honda/acura aftermarket. Pony up the cash and buy i locally or visit many of the discounted websites (like ours).

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
6/26/14 2:35 p.m.

I'm talking when your in a situation where you need parts now. I tend to get most of my "can wait" stuff from RockAuto but like today, I need a serpentine belt tensioner and I'm wondering where I should stop on the way home.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
6/26/14 2:46 p.m.

I use the Advance down the street from my house for 90% of what I need. I order from websites when they don't have it.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
6/26/14 2:47 p.m.

Personally, I'd do an online order for store pickup from Advance Auto Parts. They almost always have a 15% off code listed at the top of their page, and the guys at my local store don't suck.

solfly
solfly Reader
6/26/14 2:49 p.m.

most "aftermarket" parts stores source parts from the same places

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/14 3:19 p.m.
solfly wrote: most "aftermarket" parts stores source parts from the same places

This. RockAuto included.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/26/14 3:47 p.m.

If a distributor sells OEM parts without the dealer 10%-15% or so markup, always go with that store/company. Dealer/OEM parts are the best unless there is a significant, known flaw and a performance company makes a performance or upgraded version of it. For example, an E36 3-series is known to have a weak cooling system, so if you have re-occurring overheating issues, an all aluminum performance radiator is recommended.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/14 4:57 p.m.

it all depends. I can shop Advanced, Pepboys, Autozone, or Napa within easy walking distance of where I live. I also have a dedicated "import house" that only deals with European cars I can get to with help.

beans
beans Dork
6/26/14 5:11 p.m.

I can usually get parts cheaper from the dealer than at an autoparts store for my Honda since I used to work at the dealership I get parts from. They still like me enough to give me employee discount. If I absolutely can't wait, I'll use autozone parts most of the time since they do the whole points system.

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast HalfDork
6/26/14 6:37 p.m.

I've had really good luck using the local Mom and Pop auto repair places to source my parts. My local Import specialty shop has a lot of Rabbit/Scirocco parts in stock and they are usually just a hair more expensive than RockAuto or Autohausaz. As an added bonus, they're 2 blocks from my house and about 5 from my shop. Can't beat that.

As an aside, everywhere I've lived I've made friends with at least one shop with a WorldPac or equivalent account, and I've always been able to get a tech or service writer to order parts and sell them to me at or just above cost. Find an enthusiast that works in the business and rub elbows with them. They're usually just as cheap as the rest of us folks and know the struggle.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
6/27/14 1:07 a.m.

All of the Ford dealers in Orlando held crappy hours and didn't carry anything I ever needed in stock. I did 95% of my "need it yesterday" part shopping at the Oreilly down the street open until 10. Not the best pricing, but they were great about having the parts I need or getting them the next day from a sibling store.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
6/27/14 4:59 a.m.

I don't know that the parts quality is better or worse at any of the chain stores, but I always shop at my local NAPA because the counter help has a pulse and can carry on a conversation. The same can't be said for the Autozone.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
6/27/14 7:18 p.m.

I look at it as, If the autoparts store made cars purely from aftermarket parts, I wouldnt buy one, why corrupt a good car with substandard parts that often dont fit right. I now there are exceptions, but I've had enough bad aftermarket parts to make me go either oem or an "upgrade" aftermarket part on the great majority of jobs now.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
6/28/14 5:54 p.m.

Of those that you mention, Advanced Auto Parts is head and shoulders above all of the rest, Auto Zone is absolutely worthless. They re-stock damaged/faulty parts that are brought back to them. Basically criminals.

Of those that you didn't mention, Rock Auto is the very best ever !

Luck—

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
6/28/14 6:02 p.m.

For brick and mortar stores usually I go to Oreilly or Advance, I'll take the long drive out to NAPA for certain things (Wix filters, drain plug washers, thermostats). Its usually rock auto or amazon if I don't need it immediately though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tWLS3WmHBMW6C9q2FBGUJeeQ6jhoEyFOa97Ryrxtn1rLaGmAAK0dE0nvQRATJC1j