shanfara
shanfara
11/24/15 8:20 p.m.

Hi guys- first time post.

I just started autocrossing and I am having a really hard time figuring out what class my 97 Miata with a 10.5lb flywheel is in. I am worried that the flywheel puts me in CSP or some other class where people have way too much money for me to compete. I have searched through the SCCA rulebook, miata.net, here, and SCCAForums.com and just cannot confidently figure out my class.

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
11/24/15 8:26 p.m.

https://www.sff.net/people/dburkhead/prepcompare.htm Scroll through here, I'm in the back of a bouncy car so I can't help you much further although I didn't see anything pertaining to flywheels odly

shanfara
shanfara New Reader
11/24/15 8:31 p.m.

In reply to chiodos:

That is very helpful, but I could not find anything about flywheels. Street Prepared listed "any metal clutch" but I don't know.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
11/24/15 9:03 p.m.

Street Prepared

15.10.O Any metal clutch assembly, metal flywheel, or metal torque converter that uses the standard attachment to the crankshaft may be used. Nonmetallic friction surfaces (e.g., clutch disks) are permitted. Dowel pins may be added. Any hydraulic clutch line may be used. Replacement or substitution of the clutch slave cylinder is permitted.

Sorry, but them's the rules.

That said, if you're just starting out, ask around at your local event. Nobody is going to protest last place.

Is the flywheel really all you've changed from stock?

shanfara
shanfara New Reader
11/24/15 9:07 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor:

I also have a K&N air filter in the car, but yes. I wanted the pep of the flywheel last year with a stock car. One of my shocks is blown and I have spent the last week researching suspension options, but I didn't know what direction to go due to not knowing class/rules. I am still lost and sometimes I feel like the Miata just has too many options. Is Street Prepared called SP? Is that a tough class?

RedGT
RedGT Reader
11/24/15 9:21 p.m.

If you want to be competitive in autocross as a priority, lose the flywheel and build for ES or STS.

If you want to build the car how you want, build the car how you want and autocross wherever it ends up. You can still compare times with people with similar cars, compare your driving improvements over the season relative to the fast guys, etc.

And as someone said, if you have a mildly prepped car plus a flywheel, no one will care at the local level. If you have a FULLY prepped car plus a flywheel, IMO that's cheating.

This is a generalization to give you an idea of the progression through classes:

ES - Shocks, 1 sway bar, cat-back exhaust, stock width rims with 200 TW tires

ST (STS with an open diff, STR with a Torsen) - ES plus: springs (coilovers), any sway bars, 7.5" wide wheels, CAI, Header, hi-flow cat, certain tuning options, seats, steering wheel.

CSP - STS plus: engine swaps with certain years, update/backdate of various parts from other year Miatas, very wide wheels, DOT R-compound tires (Hoosiers), flywheel, clutch, diff, aero, ignition, and more.

SSM: Money. Spend a whole lot of money. On everything.

shanfara
shanfara New Reader
11/24/15 9:30 p.m.

In reply to RedGT:

I remember last Christmas changing the clutch and flywheel was the longest weekend of my life. I would absolutely hate to do that again. ES looks to be the most affordable class, but STS seems fun. Which suspension I want to shell out for to replace my blown one seems to be the deciding factor there. Koni Yellows with stock springs (ES) or Xidas (STS/CSP)? Excuse me while I hit myself with my wallet.

Thanks for the help on the classing so far guys. In light of the comment on no one caring at the local level, I feel like I should build the car out for ES (star specs on stock wheels, koni sports, and a hollow RB front sway) and take the flywheel out after I bump out of novice after next season. I am just worried that when I take the car to track days next year I will have wished I sprung for the FM V-MAXX Extreme package or 949's Xidas and have massive buyer's remorse on the Konis.

RedGT
RedGT Reader
11/24/15 9:47 p.m.

I don't think you will have buyers remorse with the konis. Some people feel otherwise but if you move on to STS or track events a koni coilover setup is quite capable.

Fwiw I set out to build the best STS car I could afford to, and that meant using konis. Its fast enough to win stuff. Until I actually take that car to Nebraska for nationals, that's fast enough.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
11/24/15 10:00 p.m.

I've never driven a miata with konis, but I don't think you'll have buyers remorse either. And, a great thing about the miata as a platform is that there are so many people racing them, there's always a market for your used parts if you decide to upgrade. Similarly, if you're patient and jump on it when a deal comes around, you can pick up good stuff for cheap.

I only paid $600 for my vmaxx extreme with the swaybars, so stuff is out there.

shanfara
shanfara New Reader
11/24/15 10:09 p.m.

Thanks guys. I am looking at the Koni at Good-Win http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/20-1104.html and thinking I will go this route. As far as installing it in my NA, I understand I need the shocks, my stock springs, and NB bumpstops? I think I have that right.

RedGT
RedGT Reader
11/24/15 10:19 p.m.

In reply to shanfara:

Yes, or other new foam bump stops. GC sells some, fat cat sells pricier versions of essentially the same thing, etc.

Depending on sales and shipping, tire rack can sometimes be a better price for the konis if you are not strongly attached to one vendor.

shanfara
shanfara New Reader
11/24/15 11:00 p.m.

In reply to RedGT:

They had these. I don't know if it is right: http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-0793NA.html

KevinLG
KevinLG New Reader
11/29/15 11:12 a.m.

FYI the Xida's have been dropped to 1700 bucks, which is a killer deal for what you get. Pimpy mono-tube construction, aluminum bodies, threaded perches, and Hyperco springs. Duplicating the setup with Konis would be very close to the same cost, and more than that if you want the same flexibility with spring rates. Off-the-shelf Koni Sports will handle up to a 550# spring rate, which is good, but not ideal. Cookie-cutter STS spring rates are 700/400-ish, which means getting the fronts revalved, or getting the Koni Race up front. Back when I built my STR NB Miata the Koni/Ground Control setup was still the budget king but the price delta's small enough that I see very little reason to not just hit the easy button and get a box full of shiny parts from 949Racing. The higher end damper will likely mean that the ride quality on the street will be much better than stock as well.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
11/29/15 8:25 p.m.

Just so you don't feel alone. I had basically an ES Miata until I put in a set of Corbeau seats. That made me CSP. The seats are an advantage over stock and I get to R-comps but still outclassed in CSP. This year I did put Eibach prokit springs on the car, good match to the re-valved Bilstiens but still outclassed. I still have loads of fun which is what it is all about anyway.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gUEqbACc0K0EcHa3t9hSd91X7tXbevmFoM216OBxUzLoXuPrOwDsI8XEzyAXHtsB