RandyS
RandyS New Reader
3/7/09 12:46 p.m.

I have always been a fan of 1947-53 Austin A40's. Occationally I will cruise ebay and craigslist for ads. Today noticed what apears to be the longest intake runner length. I think I count 4 spacers on top of a tunnel ram manifold. Sheesh

cxhb
cxhb New Reader
3/7/09 2:29 p.m.

is that necessary? No really, its a serious question.

cwh
cwh Dork
3/7/09 3:07 p.m.

Actually, I think the runners were longer on the Dodge 413 Ramchargers in '62.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot New Reader
3/7/09 4:37 p.m.

Were the ones on the 413s those that crossed over the top of the engine with carb over the right valve cover or thereabouts feeding left 4 cylinders & vice versa. I rode in one of those when they were new. My goodness gracious it was fast for it's time.

cwh
cwh Dork
3/7/09 4:40 p.m.

Yep, right side carb fed the left bank, visa versa. Sounded bodacious as well. IIRC, mid 12's in bone stock shape.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
3/7/09 5:42 p.m.
cxhb wrote: is that necessary? No really, its a serious question.

For performance? No!

Carson
Carson HalfDork
3/7/09 6:08 p.m.
M2Pilot wrote: Were the ones on the 413s those that crossed over the top of the engine with carb over the right valve cover or thereabouts feeding left 4 cylinders & vice versa. I rode in one of those when they were new. My goodness gracious it was fast for it's time.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
3/7/09 6:19 p.m.

Adding spacers isn't real intake runner length to me - this is the real deal:

The High and Mighty

erohslc
erohslc New Reader
3/7/09 6:53 p.m.

Here's a Spitfire with prototype long runner (about 6 ft each) setup:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13867611@N04/1517810024/

But I couldn't find enough room to coil up all the runners, and still close the bonnet.

Carter

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
3/7/09 6:59 p.m.

VW Beetles running the old Holley setup are longer. The runners were right around 22 inches as I recall. To say fuel dropout was a problem in the winter would be quite an understatement.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
3/7/09 7:54 p.m.

This is about as long as I'd like to go ...

Slant Six Hyperpak

jcanracer
jcanracer None
3/7/09 11:19 p.m.

In intake manifolds, is the general rule: shorter runners for high rpm power and long runners for low end performance?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
3/7/09 11:46 p.m.

That scoop looks like my mailbox!

Shawn

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
3/8/09 1:39 p.m.

The Ramchargers High and Mighty. Arguably, the first tunnel ram.

And it has the coolest tach EVER!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/09 1:47 p.m.
jcanracer wrote: In intake manifolds, is the general rule: shorter runners for high rpm power and long runners for low end performance?

yes, long runners promote air velocity, after a certain point though, they become a hinderance.

Dual path intakes are good like that.. the one on my bmw is like that.. longer at low RPMs for torque and smoothness.. and short path for high rpm use for air speed and flow

cwh
cwh Dork
3/8/09 6:32 p.m.

Yes, the Ramchargers wer ethe original long ram guys. I believe they were all Chrysler enginers. Grassroots grandfathers.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
3/8/09 7:07 p.m.

The advantage to the Ramchargers setup is that if the fuel does drop out of suspension, it just falls into the engine anyway

Shawn

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o46b84IXtJVXAKDn6PBEA95FZnPQuELfJp0D10sUYzedSnfu3cITc4C6SN4hmkOV