1 2
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
11/24/15 2:04 p.m.

I know, crazy, right? He bought a 2004 Miata about a year ago, and is now thinking he would rather have something with more space, more power, and four-wheel-drive. Granted, the Miata is an automatic, so it's not the greatest, but still...

Anyway, he's asked me about Jeep Liberties, in the mid 2000 date range. Or, generally, what newerish sort of 4x4 small-midsized SUV would be good for him. Not really a gearhead, just wants something he can drive and not worry about taking off road as the need arises (he's into camping, hiking, mountain biking, etc) I'm kindof at a loss as to what to recommend. He also doens't want to spend more than $5k or so, so the high dollar stuff like Hondayotas and what not are out. His only other vehicle besides the Miata right now is a 2 wheel drive 2000 Blazer, with a quarter million miles and literally falling apart. So it's worth about scrap value.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
11/24/15 2:09 p.m.

A 4 wheel drive version of the Blazer he's got now might be the best answer. Or an Explorer or XJ Cherokee.

NickD
NickD Reader
11/24/15 2:12 p.m.

If you're looking at Liberties, make sure the engine was changed religiously. Chrysler techs I work with said that the 3.7L in those were very finicky about oil changes and all sorts of stuff would go wrong with them.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
11/24/15 2:12 p.m.

Does he go off deep into the woods? An early 00's Outback or Forester might be a good option for him.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/24/15 2:15 p.m.

Nissan Pathfinder/Xterra may be a good choice.
I will direct your attention to the much forgotten Infiniti QX4 which is a rebadged Pathfinder sold from '97-'03. It is just as stout and capable as the Pathfinder but you can expect that a QX4 only went to The Mall.

Well maintained examples are out there and often sell for less than the Nissan counterpart.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
11/24/15 2:20 p.m.

Second the vote for an Explorer. They last forever and seem to thrive on abuse and neglect.

I'd recommend STRONGLY against the Liberty. I've never heard someone happy with their ownership experience of a Liberty.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/15 2:28 p.m.
OP said: Anyway, he's asked me about Jeep Liberties, in the mid 2000 date range

Every one of these I have had on a lift have had rust. Lots of rust. They also drove like rattle box's. I would look else ware.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/24/15 2:40 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
OP said: Anyway, he's asked me about Jeep Liberties, in the mid 2000 date range
Every one of these I have had on a lift have had rust. Lots of rust. They also drove like rattle box's. I would look else ware.

My room mate's girlfriend has a Patriot (which was the successor to the Liberty I guess??) that's the same way, starting to get SERIOUS cancer on the rockers and fenders. Like, I can't think of anything else built in the last 20-30 years that has rusted this badly this quickly.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
11/24/15 2:47 p.m.
NickD wrote: If you're looking at Liberties, make sure the engine was changed religiously...

How often do you change your engine?

Just kidding...

NickD
NickD Reader
11/24/15 2:49 p.m.
jstein77 wrote:
NickD wrote: If you're looking at Liberties, make sure the engine was changed religiously...
How often do you change your engine? Just kidding...

IF you don't change the oil every interval, then fairly often

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
11/24/15 3:12 p.m.

Do you hate him? if so, thumbs up to a mid 2000's liberty. biggest piece of trash I've owned. Even worse than that volvo.

If you care at all about him, you will tell him that 4runner is the answer.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/15 3:31 p.m.

Liberty = no. Just no.

If the Jeep doesn't have an inline 6, you must not commit.

So go look at Cherokees if he wants a Jeep.

Otherwise, a Blazer 4x4 is at least repairable by a basic mechanic, instead of a medicine man like the Liberty.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
11/24/15 3:40 p.m.

If explorer then avoid the third gen (02-05) they were very trouble prone. Specifically the rear diff carrier, wheel bearings and transmissions. Second gens had the solid 8.8 rear axle, four wheel discs, and 5.0 engines available. They seem like a more enjoyable vehicle but probably gas thirsty. If it were me I would probably either go xj or blazer.

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
11/24/15 3:44 p.m.

My vote is for XJ, other good choices might be a full size Montero, Trooper, or Yukon/Tahoe if that's not too much on the large side for him.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
11/24/15 4:09 p.m.

NickD
NickD Reader
11/24/15 4:16 p.m.

Because it hasn't been said yet: Subaru Justy 4WD.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/15 4:26 p.m.

My wife drives a 2002 Liberty and loves it. It's the dreaded 3.7, but at 230K, it could blow up tomorrow and I wouldn't care. It's probably the easiest vehicle I have ever worked on. Plenty of space under the hood, everything is easy to get to. It puts out pretty good power and will knock down 23mpg on the highway if you keep your foot out of it. We will keep it until it dies and unpleasant death.

That said, I hate the thing. I find it cramped, harsh, twitchy, and just generally unpleasant to drive. When we go somewhere as a family, we take my F350. I refuse to drive it.

$5k will get you a very nice 4x4 Explorer around here. It won't be fast, it won't be glamorous, it will suck to work on, but it will probably run forever.

I would also take a hard look at what Suzuki has to offer in the Vitara, XL7, Tracker lineup. They might be a little smaller than what he wants, but they are very capable in the off road department and get better fuel economy.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/24/15 4:31 p.m.

No suzuki love? The Liberty was just a cheap, poorly executed Grand Vitara. The last bodystyle would be my vote and they're still pretty cheap.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/24/15 4:32 p.m.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/652947428/overview/

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/24/15 4:33 p.m.

The Jeep Liberty is a steaming pile.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
11/24/15 4:33 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Nope. Not here.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
11/24/15 5:37 p.m.

It's worth looking at Hyundai Santafe's. Sold ours at 225k with very few issues ever, basically just normal maintenance. It was a 2005 with the 3.5 V6.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
11/25/15 10:35 a.m.

Some good thoughts and input here, guys. Thanks. I hadn't thought of the I6 powered jeeps. Like I said, B-I-L isn't terribly handy, just needs something reliable. Pathfinder/Exploder might be an option. F-I-L is vehemently anti-Ford, but B-I-L seems relatively open to suggestions.

Subarus scare me, especially used ones. I have known several people who have owned second-hand Subies, and only one that has had relatively good luck. Especially at B-I_l's price point.

Rust isn't an issue where he is...Pheonix. ;-)

The off-brand foreign stuff might be interesting...the quality is coming up and used prices are still affordable for something like the Suzuki/ Hyundai.

The Blazer's been a pretty decent ride for him, up until now that's it's pretty much fallen apart after 1/4 million miles. I've heard the newer 4x4 trailblazers have some issues, but maybe an older blazer...

Stefan (Not Bruce)
11/25/15 10:36 a.m.

S-10 based Blazer with the 4.3L and 4x4 should be stupid reliable and cheap to repair.

A government auction Jeep Cherokee isn't a bad idea either :)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/15 1:01 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: The Blazer's been a pretty decent ride for him, up until now that's it's pretty much fallen apart after 1/4 million miles. I've heard the newer 4x4 trailblazers have some issues, but maybe an older blazer...

that is your answer there. He already has a Blazer that worked very well for him for 250,000+ miles. He knows what to expect.. so get rid of the falling apart one, trade in the Miata, and a get the nicest 4x4 blazer he can find.

They were also available in Saab form as the Saab 9-7 and are stupid fast

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l7Lp1i32CLVNUzFzfaaj2lJOyxFtMqAY59DDZwOzpboxD2sVqwOD0pTF3fyD6lFi