Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/26/16 1:07 p.m.

So this morning, my baby battery finally called it quits. It was cooler (50's) and was running the headlights, wipers, had Slipknot blasting while charging the iPod and hte HVAC running. Got to work went to move the car and the battery wouldn't restart it. So I got it home (jump packs FTW) at lunch and performed a 3:33 battery change over. I;ve gained weight fast over the years, but this is the first time I've gained 10lbs per minute!

All in all, not upset. I paid $70 for this little Shuriken 3 years ago. IT's lasted 3 auto-x seasons (basically April to October) and then sat the last 2 winters in the unheated garage. Stock battery is over 40lbs and this one was 11 with bracket. Shuriken BT20. Looks like the new one weighs 13lbs now.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
9/26/16 1:53 p.m.

My Braille lasted about that long as well.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/26/16 2:31 p.m.

Wow, I forgot how pricey Braille's were!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/16 2:41 p.m.

Damn, that's a good price, I'm gonna ask the guy at the local speed shop about bringing those in next time I stop by.

My big cheapo AGMs last about the same 3 years.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
9/26/16 2:45 p.m.

Did you have to buy the terminal adapters for it, or do the ones that come on it work in a typical automotive setting? I've been looking for a cheap Miata battery, 3 years is a pretty decent lifespan

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/26/16 2:46 p.m.

Yeah, the new one is on Amazon for $66 with free shipping. it's got more power, (800ca over the previous 660ca) but it's also 2lbs heavier! MAn, before you know it I'll be back at the stock 40+ lbs! lol

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/26/16 2:47 p.m.
cmcgregor wrote: Did you have to buy the terminal adapters for it, or do the ones that come on it work in a typical automotive setting? I've been looking for a cheap Miata battery, 3 years is a pretty decent lifespan

They were part of the original buy for me. They are basically set up like a motorcycle battery so you will need the adapters.

here's a picture:

84FSP
84FSP Dork
9/27/16 7:19 a.m.

My AGM's are typically good for about 3 yrs as well. I'm hoping the battery tender that I bought helps extend that a bit.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
9/27/16 11:38 a.m.

Shorai, can't say good enough things. Of the 5 ive got, the oldest is 6 years old, zero bulle36m3, zero failures, crazy crazy light. Awesome batteries.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/27/16 1:28 p.m.

Here, in Indiana I figure any battery past 3 years is suspect because of the extremes they'll see. When winter can have days at -20F and summer can be over 100*F that's a pretty crazy swing that is hard to design a battery around.

keethrax
keethrax Dork
9/27/16 1:38 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Here, in Indiana I figure any battery past 3 years is suspect because of the extremes they'll see. When winter can have days at -20F and summer can be over 100*F that's a pretty crazy swing that is hard to design a battery around.

I live in northern MN, so you can drop another 20 degrees off the low side. For batteries that stay in the vehicle over the winter I hope to get 5 years, but if I get more than 3 I don't complain.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
epmidxa6OBWp1gvrEZpYoCvzDF83DfeRcMjcYuMbEDFZwOCzovJXGW4hGOOHcym3