1 2
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
10/11/18 7:02 p.m.

Just when you think you are out they drag you back in. Bought another Miata today. 

1996 one owner 17k miles. No accident history and 100% completely stock down to the tires. Like they are cracking on the car. White on  black interior, manual  no hard top though. 

After all the modified ones I have driven I have never driven a 100% stock one so I am pretty happy about this. May only keep it for a few months I got it for a song. BAT may be the best place to unload it. But it fits on the lift above the Cadillac so I may hold onto it. 

Ordered tires red this afternoon and a few things but the owner has a full history on the car so it should be clean under the skin. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/11/18 7:06 p.m.

Did anyone else read that as "Back Seat in a Miata?" Impossibru!

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
10/11/18 7:20 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Yes, yes I did.  

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
10/11/18 7:21 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Even I did after posting it. I am at the bar and a little toasty right now so could have wrote that out more better. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/11/18 9:38 p.m.

Screw it, dude. Lets see where this goes.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/11/18 10:31 p.m.

Welcome back! Waiting for pictures.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
10/11/18 10:49 p.m.

Photos tomorrow. Owner is about a mile away but wanted to drive it one or two last times. I doubt it has ever even had the rpm above 3500. He needed the cash and I wanted to drive a stock one for a bit. Based on what salvage title cars bring and what I got for my raced out and completely stripped one I will make 4K or so off this one after my reconditions costs.  You would not believe how clean it is. Hell its been driven less then 800-900 miles a year  

I have seen worse cars with 10-12k miles go for like 14k. So let’s just say 7k after my costs for tires and consumables I should be really good.

Worst case we keep it and we will only use it for cruising around in the mountains at reasonable speeds. My 94R did not have AC or power steering, or carpet, and was fast but not fun. 

Guys I really want to keep it. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/18 9:14 a.m.

It's always good to get back into the stock ones occasionally and remember why we fell in love with these things in the first place. In the past couple of weeks, I've behind the wheel of a bone stock 1993 on original suspension as well as spent extensive time in a 1990 with nothing more than some Konis, sways and frame rails. These things are fun, they might catch on.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/12/18 9:25 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Guys I really want to keep it. 

You should.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
10/12/18 5:21 p.m.

Its raining and the car has 22 year old cracked tires. Will get picked up on Sunday when the weather settles down and there is no oil on the road. ~167 days without rain and I get rain on the day I am supposed to pickup a convertible. 

Give me time to get the Garage cleaned out and find a way to get it to fit above the Cadillac on the two post until I make some space. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
10/14/18 4:15 p.m.

I am very happy with this little car. The OG tires NEED to go. 133hp should not do burnouts. Also I am pretty sure this thing has never ever been driven hard. I swear the car was confused after I warmed it up.

It even has all the keys and the original radio VIN tag.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
10/14/18 4:23 p.m.

That is a good looking specimen. I would keep it.

It does need to be blown out every now and then. smiley Just not too hard. The mountain drive idea is great.

I bet it would go up in value pretty good over the next 5 years.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
10/14/18 6:15 p.m.

Wow, the dipstick isn't even broken.  That never happens!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/14/18 6:35 p.m.

As much as I love hotrodding, I would have a hard time butchering that car. 

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/14/18 8:35 p.m.

You found a white example with all of its paint? I think you should keep it. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/15/18 9:57 p.m.

I have had too many Miata’s ... I am done with them ... after 20+ years 

I still have my 95 white R with 7,100 miles on it. Hardly drive it. Probably put it on BAT in a year or so 

love your viper and caddy.... you in so cal ? 

Keith Tanner
10/16/18 12:01 p.m.
gunner said:

You found a white example with all of its paint? I think you should keep it. 

That was a 1.6 problem, the 1.8s keep their paint.

Nice example. I'd modify it, which is not the same as butchering. That alarm install would count as butchering. I would also check that there is an air filter, as every car I've purchased from CA has come with a crap alarm and no air filter.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
10/16/18 2:14 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

I have had too many Miata’s ... I am done with them ... after 20+ years 

I still have my 95 white R with 7,100 miles on it. Hardly drive it. Probably put it on BAT in a year or so 

love your viper and caddy.... you in so cal ? 

San Diego.

Have a couple more cars then what is show in storage as well that I never drive. I had a 94 R that was completely a track toy and I never drove it on the street except when it was cool enough and I wanted to go bomb around the hills. This is nice enough that I can drive it with the wife. Honestly she loves it and it may become her car. This is really nice and its not lowered so it just floats down the street when I am cruising and it has sidewalls. I miss 14/15 inch 60 series rubber.

Now what I need are TIRES. Seriously what happened to all the 14 inch rubber. I think I am going to get some 15' rpf1's just for tire selection. I had a set for the last Miata with race rubber on it and they were beat to E36 M3 but they would have powder coated up nicely.  I don't need to go out and get a set of R888R's but the locale there are A1 Ingens which have a really good rating for sale at around 200$ a set installed but was hoping for something in the 250-300 wear rating. They will age and heat out before I wear them out.

Keith alarm is pulled out already. It was not hacked in so simple to disable with a hidden switch.

Keith Tanner
10/16/18 2:20 p.m.

Alarms are designed to make cars not work. Every install is a butchering :)

Our go-to for street rubber is the Yokohama S-drive. Decent traction, some sidewall compliance, huge range of sizes and a great price. A set of light 15s will make that car (and your wife) happy. If you think you might someday do some brake upgrades, consider other options other than the RPF1.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
10/16/18 3:51 p.m.

Before you move off from 14's, take a look at the Falken Azenis 615K+.  I had them on my previous Miata and they fit well on 14 inch stockers, had a nice footprint (they are a WIDE 195) and decent grip.  Roughly the same price point as S Drives (which I can also recommend based on my experience with them on my Yaris).  The only thing I can't speak to on the 615's is longevity.  I sold my NA when I only had about 1500-2000 street miles and 2 or 3 autocrosses on them, but they were showing almost NO wear at that point.  I got mine on a stupid cheap Discount Tire special, roughly $70 a corner by piling a DT sale on top of Falken's rebates.  My Yokos were $10-15 per corner more.  (Current Tire Rack prices are roughly the same for both, but S.drives don't go down to 14's)  Dunlop Star Specs are also available in 14's at a higher price point.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/16/18 5:44 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Nice stable! Sounds like mine . Too many cars not being driven. Lived in La Jolla for 11 years before moving north. 

Enjoy the car. I have some azenis on my 95R. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/18 6:19 p.m.

Nice find!

I'd like to echo kazoospec's comment. I've put Azenis 615K+ on my NA6 and I like them a lot. Work well on the street and held up OK on the track (Laguna Seca) as well.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
10/16/18 8:36 p.m.

Got a set of the FP612s for 32$ a tire at tire rack just now. Will be perfect for street use. Much better then the 22 year old factory rubber that is on the car now. Will order up some much better stuff in a 15/16 once I figure out what I am doing with the car. At least its not going to be on 22 year old OEM rubber that is chunking out. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
10/16/18 8:44 p.m.

One of these things is not like the other. Also I need new tires for the beast as well which will be an adventure.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/16/18 8:47 p.m.

That green color is pure sex on the snake 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zA9JKdr5lksY0OzxYsHI7TJ95Xu28aBfADGgDFXFnpEKaii2BfhO0Bqc4GTZ8BYn