mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/23/08 4:23 a.m.

I have been on something of a car buying spree recently. Been trying to try at least every car I ever wanted. Right now I have set my sights on the Corrado.

With the G60 models hitting stupid cheap money, they seem almost a shame not to try one. Here is the rub though, I had the bad (really bad, or just bad?) of picking up a TDI engine and swapping it into the swoopy little coupe'.

Yes, I would lose some HP on the Supercharged engine, but I would gain a lot of torque and with the more aerodynamic shape it should get some great MPG and still be fun to drive.

thoughts?

Travis_K
Travis_K New Reader
8/23/08 8:35 a.m.

Well, to drive one with the stock engine, plan on having the supercharger rebuilt, which after that it wont be terribly cheap anymore, but it will still be slow. You could easily modify a TDI to be faster than a G60. The only bad thing about the TDI is the going price for everything to swap one in (enigine/wiring/tranny) is about $6500. If you are lucky and able to jump on a good deal literally the minute you hear about it, I know 2 people who have gotten them for $1800 and $1300 though. Other than wiring its mostly a bolt in except you have to modify the pedal cluster for the drive by wire throttle. If you decide to do it, I know someone who has swapped one into a MK2 golf, so i could ask him about it if you had questions on how to do it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pGOwyjgiNBJR3QHpkgoDDkulEKwBAjHD5Rvi0o7Qc9D8EHINt95m89W38ZwpR2kU