Cuda
Cuda Reader
4/18/15 12:20 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v59dDxCk9w

I know some of you guys are watching this just like me, so I thought I would let you know Ep 9 is out.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/18/15 7:51 a.m.

Sweet, thanks!

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
4/18/15 9:18 a.m.

I really like this build and this series, thanks for sharing.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
4/18/15 10:02 a.m.

You were beat by seven hours. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/project-binky-episode-8/97109/page2/#post1786260

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
4/18/15 10:04 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn:

But that wasn't a new thread

There's always a few threads about every new episode. Hopefully the repost police let it slide.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/18/15 10:41 a.m.

The louver press was particularly well thought out. These guys are amazing and funny too!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/18/15 8:32 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: In reply to stuart in mn: But that wasn't a new thread There's always a few threads about every new episode. Hopefully the repost police let it slide.

I didn't feel that it warranted a new thread

I especially agree with the observation re: the fender stampings. The lip can be ground smooth/even, the important bit is the actual panel.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/19/15 9:26 a.m.

I recently discovered this series. Such an amazing build. I love how they always take things a step further. Like the remote locking/ trunk release, the louver press, and the motorized hood opener. I also love how they are going for a sleeper look. The Monty Python humor is fantastic as well. I can't wait for the finished product.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/15 9:36 a.m.

I have a question. Every time he lays down a weld bead, he gives one final quick tap to the trigger. What's the idea there?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/19/15 11:20 a.m.

I don't think he is doing it, I think it's the welder discharging a capacitor or something after he releases the trigger.

Mine does that sometimes too.

Keith Tanner
4/19/15 12:06 p.m.

It happens every single time for him. Mine's never done it.

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado HalfDork
4/19/15 12:28 p.m.

He's totally doing it on purpose. I've noticed it in the last few episodes, but in #9 there's some good close-ups of Nik's hands while he's welding.

The only reasonable explanation I've been able to come up with is that after laying down a hotter weld with small welding wire, the wire has a propensity to kinda burn back towards the nozzle. Then you have a lump of oxidized wire that really doesn't make for good welding so you have to take the time to snip off the end of the wire to start fresh.

By giving the trigger a little tap while the pool is still hot he's planting that lump on top of his weld and is giving himself a repeatably fresh section of wire to start his weld.

I've been meaning to experiment with that technique, but I haven't done any welding on the Fiat for weeks.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
4/19/15 5:47 p.m.

I love this series! I'll have to watch them again from start to finish. I love the thought that goes into everything, it's just so well done.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
4/20/15 10:47 a.m.

Just watched it. I picked up a Bad Obsession Motorsports coffee mug at the silent auction at the Mini 56 this past weekend. Didn't use the mug while watching the video though. Its in the dishwasher.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
4/20/15 10:53 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I have a question. Every time he lays down a weld bead, he gives one final quick tap to the trigger. What's the idea there?

You could always pose the question in the youtube comments

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/15 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I think he's filling in the little crater made by the arc.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/20/15 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I thought he was doing 'spot welds' and that maybe he was going around the outside circle, and then a little 'pop' in the middle.

Keith Tanner
4/20/15 12:21 p.m.

He does it on linear weld beads as well. I'm going to play with it. I can certainly see the idea of snapping off the blob for a clean start on the next bead.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
4/20/15 1:54 p.m.

I also noticed this Keith. I have noticed that sometimes the end of a migged bead is a little sunk in. I was assuming the adds the last little pop to put a tiny bit of filler in and make the bead more uniform.

I hope a real welding expert chimes in and gives us the real reason.

I do love this project btw. Nik is a genius fabricator.

Desmond
Desmond Reader
4/20/15 2:25 p.m.

This man is incredible. Thanks for posting, I'd never heard about this.

pkingham
pkingham GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/20/15 2:52 p.m.

After watching the first 8 episodes over Christmas, my 9 yr old wants to make 'CAD templates' for everything.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
4/20/15 3:10 p.m.

How many people do you think decided to buy a welder after watching those videos on Youtube?

pkingham
pkingham GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/20/15 3:19 p.m.

And how many of them are frustrated at being able to fabricate stuff only one tenth as well?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HCVx1nptV2iGteJTcL9yGt9uXbgLDzDjs6D5SvAcUxJ3NmGlbubXW7T4ZoWuOIH4