1 2
vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/9/19 12:50 p.m.

Others catch the MCM reference in the latest episode of Project Binky?

LOL!

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
2/9/19 1:25 p.m.

I am now officially old. I did not understand one word of what you just wrote.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/9/19 1:41 p.m.

Also, I can't imagine the English not throwing shade at Australians. 

What did they say?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/19 1:44 p.m.
02Pilot said:

I am now officially old. I did not understand one word of what you just wrote.

Bad Obsession is some guys who are buggering about putting a stereo in an old Mini.

MCM is, of course, the Roman numeral for 1900.  I don't get the connection either.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
2/9/19 1:59 p.m.

I'm not sure if you guys are being intentionally dense or actually don't know...  

MCM is Mighty Car Mods, a little youtube channel (with nearly 3 million subscribers.)

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/9/19 2:05 p.m.

I caught the reference to Mighty Car Mods in Project Binky, but did not recognize MCM in this thread.  Too much abbreviation everywhere. Nor did I get throwing shade as dissing.

Knurled.
2/9/19 2:08 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

I caught the reference to Mighty Car Mods in Project Binky, but did not recognize MCM in this thread.  Too much abbreviation everywhere. Nor did I get throwing shade as dissing.

"Throwing shade" is "dissing"?  I thought it meant lampshading, meaning you're bringing attention to a reference you are making.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/19 2:10 p.m.

What's "dissing"?

Knurled.
2/9/19 2:32 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

If you do it to Terry while playing Oregon Trail, your character will die.

(But seriously, it's short for "disrespecting")

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
2/9/19 2:33 p.m.

Literally all of you are old as dirt.

Knurled.
2/9/19 2:36 p.m.

In reply to Grizz :

It's called patina frown

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/9/19 2:39 p.m.

You mean MCM isn’t mid century modern? LOL... 2JZ C6 Z71 F2T E38 993 P71 berkeley who can keep track?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/9/19 2:40 p.m.

This thread is more confusing than when I stumbled into the Interstellar Sledgehammer thread with no context.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
2/9/19 2:43 p.m.

What's the internet?

Knurled.
2/9/19 2:59 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

You mean MCM isn’t mid century modern? LOL... 2JZ C6 Z71 F2T E38 993 P71 berkeley who can keep track?

"I've never seen so many stupid acronyms for driver controls, we've got DCC, DSTC, CRAP..."

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/9/19 3:00 p.m.

Man crush mondays 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/9/19 3:00 p.m.

Throw Shade from Urban Dictionary 

to talk trash about a friend or aquaintance, to publicly denounce or disrespect. When throwing shade it's immediately obvious to on-lookers that the thrower, and not the throwee, is the bitcy, uncool one. 

In normal language terms it might be to cast darkness or comments of disparaging activity falsely upon someone else.  

Australian is an interesting language. There are many idioms that don't directly translate to US English (or British English) 

Fair Dinkum is another example. 

On top of that, the Australians abreviate EVERYTHING.  Not an abbreviation like initials but just randomly shorten words. A simple sample might be telly for television but it has more to do with just not saying the whole word and implying what the word is in the context of that specific conversation. 

Video sample of Aus abbreviations

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/9/19 3:01 p.m.

Too many TLAs! GOML!

_
_ Reader
2/9/19 4:08 p.m.
SnowMongoose said:

I'm not sure if you guys are being intentionally dense or actually don't know...  

MCM is Mighty Car Mods, a little youtube channel (with nearly 3 million subscribers.)

And is one of the best FREE car programs to watch on a screen. You’d have to live under a rock in the automotive world to not know them. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/9/19 4:56 p.m.
Grizz said:

Literally all of you are old as dirt.

Im not.

But i generally live under old broken mopars, as thy are slightly more comfortable than living under a rock. 

So, i was lost as well. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/9/19 5:09 p.m.

I think I am actually older than some of the dirt encountered in auto service...

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/9/19 5:13 p.m.

English

Use it

The propensity for people to make up words to express something that can already be easily expressed is pretty amazing.  English already has a VERY wide selection of words (e.g. propensity).

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/9/19 6:55 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Dissing Terry will get you every time. 

Also I think “diss” has had that meaning for several decades. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/9/19 6:59 p.m.
aircooled said:

English

Use it

The propensity for people to make up words to express something that can already be easily expressed is pretty amazing.  English already has a VERY wide selection of words (e.g. propensity).

Isn't it beautiful. It takes fast as well. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/9/19 7:51 p.m.

Pardon me sir, you appear to be on my lawn.  I must insist you remove yourself post haste.

cheeky

The reality is that a word means what people think it means. I am sure many languages have a lot of slang words, the amount in American English has to be a bit of a nightmare for people learning the language (e.g. hot, cool, bad, sick...).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pUw7XA0yzATnb9qgcY0VAJaooX21hJyRHCIk4uP2nu6JZCn1nBAFJkLdRKt2fdoM