Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/23/18 7:33 a.m.

DD#1 is probably selling her bugeye Impreza in the near future.

It had a sticky LF caliper for a long time (I didn't really see the car for a while, so I didn't know).  One wheel spent a fair amount of time hotter than the others, and she's not big on washing her car anyway.  The brake dust on that one wheel is pretty severe, and pretty stuck.

What's the best product / method for getting it off?  I don't want to destroy the finish on contact, and I'd rather not have to refinish them... but I'm also not exceptionally worried about the long-term effects.  My goal is to get them cleaned up and looking decent enough to not attract undue attention.

Thanks!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/23/18 8:29 a.m.

Best? Not sure, but Super Clean will melt it off nicely. Maybe test a patch on the inside of a wheel?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/18 8:32 a.m.

De-Solv-It works well for removing thin layers of baked-on brake dust from wheels, although it might be too gentle for this application.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/23/18 8:35 a.m.

clay bar and elbow grease.  

craigslist replacement.

plasti-dip.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
2/23/18 9:24 a.m.

Sonax

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
2/23/18 9:25 a.m.

I had a similar issue on the V and used a pretty nasty automotive tar remover and dishwasher soap.  Worked ok but did fight with it a while.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/23/18 6:48 p.m.
02Pilot said:

Sonax

+1 for Sonax, plus elbow grease.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/18 7:22 p.m.

Simple Green straight up.

The Cherokee wheels were so nasty when I bough it, I wound up using brake cleaner on them. Surprisingly enough, it didn't damage the finish at all. I'd test that first. 

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
2/23/18 8:07 p.m.

You are looking for a product called Iron X.  Careful about Simple Green, def do a spot test first. It is hell on aluminum. 

Alternatively, get a gallon of Superclean and dilute it 5:1.  Spray on and agitate with a soft brush, a microfiber cloth you’re willing to throw away or (gently) with a Magic Eraser. Use the rest of the gallon to clean literally everything else on the car. It’s great for engine bays, door jambs, carpet and upholstery. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/23/18 9:34 p.m.

Chrome wheel cleaner is pretty mean. I think the trick is not to leave it on too long if it's an aluminum wheel. Soak a minute and rinse thoroughly, repeat as necessary.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
2/24/18 6:31 a.m.

Watching this because I had a dragging caliper last year & whatever came off is quite embedded in the wheel (it's painted white).  It almost seems like ground metal vs normal dust buildup.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/24/18 10:48 a.m.

All right, thanks for the suggestions!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UhW5VMMpnUn6k1bicl8Wkx4VLyy9pTD9aLjofom32PVEn4VIPhdSXNJzAvcwjuKQ