1 2 3 4
Will
Will UltraDork
1/19/19 8:53 p.m.

Customs are surprisingly strong, but prices on restored muscle cars seem way down. It wasn't that long ago that they were selling Boss 429s for $600k. Now they're more like $200k.

No Time
No Time Dork
1/19/19 8:55 p.m.

In reply to pirate :

Did you see the Chevy 210 that went for almost a quarter million?

I was amazed to see how high the numbers went. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/19/19 9:04 p.m.

I like to check in to see how Amy’s looking as I’m a fan of brunettes but I guess she’s not around this year?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/19 9:20 p.m.

I get the whole custom part making more money as they are actually usable more so than the original. The problem is how well will they age and if you actually drive them. It's kind of a catch 22. It's made to drive but I think driving would cause massive depreciation. 

pirate
pirate Reader
1/19/19 11:24 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Amy was actually married to Spanky Assiter who was  Barret-Jackson’s lead auctioneer. I read someplace that Spanky has some kind of contract dispute with BJ that couldn’t be resolved so both Spanky and Amy left in 2015. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
1/20/19 4:47 a.m.

Ya, Amy was definitely a high light but is gone now.sad 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/20/19 6:44 a.m.
Feedyurhed said:

Ya, Amy was definitely a high light but is gone now.sad 

If you look, they have a dark haired girl in the same location, apparently trying to fool people.  But she is much taller than Amy is.  

I ended up seeing some of the auctions on Friday and Saturday.  I think people have lost their minds.  I see Ron Pratt is back throwing out money after he liquidated his collection a few years back.  

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/20/19 3:43 p.m.

I’ve seen guys come to a halt.  Dead stop.  Nope, not going a penny more.  Then Amy would saunter over, place a hand on his arm or shoulder, say something inaudible to the camera, they would both smile and nine times out of ten the hammer wouldn’t drop for another few minutes.  I don’t know what they paid her but it probably wasn’t enough.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/19 3:51 p.m.
Rodan said:

Some Fox Mustang milestones tonight... surprise

1984 "GT350" 20th Anniversary 'vert, 587 miles  - $34k

1989 5.0 LX hatch 659 miles, never dealer prepped - $43k

1990 5.0 "7-UP" Anniversary 'vert 24(!)miles - $44k

1993 Cobra R - 500 miles, never dealer prepped - $132k !!

Nice Fox Mustangs have been going up, but I wasn't expecting these kinds of numbers for another decade or so! 

Huh.  I was in high school when those were made, and my autos teacher was a huge Ford guy and knew people in the local industry.  He mentioned one of the local dealerships selling a Cobra R and the buyer requiested that it not be prepped, and to be notified when it was coming in.  When it came in, he was there waiting, and the car went straight off the car hauler and into his enclosed trailer, seeing maybe 50 feet of road.

BonzoHansen
BonzoHansen New Reader
1/20/19 11:57 p.m.
Rodan said:

Some Fox Mustang milestones tonight... surprise

1984 "GT350" 20th Anniversary 'vert, 587 miles  - $34k

1989 5.0 LX hatch 659 miles, never dealer prepped - $43k

1990 5.0 "7-UP" Anniversary 'vert 24(!)miles - $44k

1993 Cobra R - 500 miles, never dealer prepped - $132k !!

Nice Fox Mustangs have been going up, but I wasn't expecting these kinds of numbers for another decade or so! 

Extreme low mileage really skews the numbers.   there were some low mileage 1LE 3rd gens for big money too.

We are seeing a demographic shift.  80s cars have been going up for a while as the guys that wanted them in high school have disposable income now.  I think that is part of the reason higher end pro touring builds are passing nice but not special muscle car pricing.   they drive much better.  that was very apparent this week  

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/19 1:01 a.m.

93 Cobra R's all got squirreled away. That was why you had to have a racing license to get a 95 R. That's also why there's way less stupid-low miles 95 R's out there. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/21/19 8:55 a.m.

In reply to BonzoHansen :

Whenever I mention this among Corvette or Mustang purists they generally go bonkers.  Those glorious C2 Corvettes and 60s Shelby Mustangs will continue to drop in value and the 80s and 90s cars no one loved are destined to be collectibles.  People want what they wanted when they were in HS.  Heck one day low mileage pristine Prius’ will be collectible too.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/21/19 9:30 a.m.

Great I can get a 59 corvette finally for unstupid money then. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
1/21/19 9:38 a.m.

Not BJ related but I noticed that collectors only want the super special cars while the really nice drivers went for nothing.  This was probably 15-20 years ago at an auction held during the BRIC at Road America.  Nice driver quality big block four speed convertible vette went for $7k.  It had original paint that was ok and a tacky 70's pinstripe.  

Other driver quality cars went for similar.  I was second in line for a $9000 Pantera that wouldn't fit in a fellas trailer, this is why I don't have a Pantera. 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
1/21/19 10:02 a.m.

Are we just going to ignore the $2.1MM new Supra? The money went to charity and the car won't be seen until another charity auction next year but still.

pirate
pirate Reader
1/21/19 10:33 a.m.

There is definitely a demographic shift going on. No brass era cars, very few antique cars unless they were high end. Because I have an interest in prewar year hot rods I noticed how very few there were from BJ Auctions in the past. I’m sure it is the result of my generation getting older and dying off. Customs seemed to be the thing. Muscle cars I’m sure will go the way of of prewar hot rods as that generations ages. Cars like 68 or newer corvettes and 70’s Camaro’s that you couldn’t give away just a couple years ago are now commanding the big dollars. There are exceptions of course as quality never goes out of style.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/21/19 11:33 a.m.

Late on Sunday, a guy could have picked up a truckload of deferred maintenance Eurotrash for not much dough. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/19 11:57 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Only inserted from orbit once!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
1/21/19 11:58 a.m.

Is there a link to the Sold prices for BJ auctions and the other Scottsdale auctions ?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/21/19 12:07 p.m.
The0retical said:

Are we just going to ignore the $2.1MM new Supra? The money went to charity and the car won't be seen until another charity auction next year but still.

It doesn't really mean anything as far as the car is concerned. B-J has done a number of those and they always sell for substantially more than the real value of the car. 

californiamilleghia said:

Is there a link to the Sold prices for BJ auctions and the other Scottsdale auctions ?

Depends on the auction company.  You can see the sold prices for B-J if you register on their website.  I'd imagine the other houses are similar. You can definitely kill a lot of time scrolling through the cars and looking at the sale prices.  Some are surprising on the high end (a Corvair ramp-side pick-up for $77K) and some on the low side. Most are about as expected.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/21/19 12:24 p.m.
Knurled. said:
wearymicrobe said:

Only inserted from orbit once!

Its missing the Lok-Nar, so the value is crap.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/21/19 12:31 p.m.

1978 Delta 88 Diesel - $2200 at the drop of Craig’s hammer.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/21/19 12:56 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

1978 Delta 88 Diesel - $2200 at the drop of Craig’s hammer.  

I hope there are no hills between Scottsdale and wherever the buyer lives.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/21/19 2:39 p.m.

Wow... somebody stole this one:

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lB1bBRs6u9W1t402fSI2njVPsyueiuuwCql00NUcc47dz6RmedtbrLr0uvqD8fz1