dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/6/14 2:07 p.m.

What do you all use for this (if any). I have had a weekend full of battery removal and replacement in my various cars and I am going to be putting things back together and was wondering what everyone used to coat / protect the terminals from corrosion and oxidation. The last go around I used Dielectric grease and it sucked. In the past I have used white lithium with the usual results (not bad and not great). A while ago I got some of these pads that were impregnated with something that you put around the terminals before you installed the cables and they seemed to really work well. This combined with some special spray in a can and the terminals remained clean until I changed the battery (two years ago).

So should I just put the connections on and then paint them? This will coat the exposed metal and keep everything sealed and prevent water from getting in to the clamps.

OR

I was thinking that I have some outboard motor lower end grease and I could use that as it does not breakdown and emulsify when exposed to water.

What say you all?

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
7/6/14 2:13 p.m.

I use the red and green felt rings from the parts store. They usually work fine.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
7/6/14 2:25 p.m.

I use nothing.. never have..

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
7/6/14 3:09 p.m.

Vaseline or the can of red spray stuff.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
7/6/14 3:11 p.m.

I use anti-seize on clamp bolts and terminals w/ no problems.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
7/6/14 3:37 p.m.

In the old days they put a penny by each terminal.

don't ask.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/7/14 7:55 a.m.

I went with the Spline Grease for the outboard we will see what happens.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
7/7/14 8:27 a.m.

when I worked for a mobile telephone co. (before cell phones) we coated the pos. terminal with vaseline … under, around, on top …. pretty well sealed it from the air … the best part of this was you could jumper cable through it with no problem

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/7/14 8:33 a.m.

I use wheel bearing grease. Paint them both up with it. If there is a felt ring on it, I transfer the felt ring to the next battery, otherwise, I don't mess with them. In past vehicles that I have had a corrosion problem, I have hot glued a penny to the battery near the terminal. The penny corrodes before the terminal, and yeah, it works. But I only do that with problem cases, and I haven't had to do that for a while. Maybe batteries are getting sealed better these days.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
7/7/14 8:34 a.m.

I just went through this this weekend...had 4 batteries all on chargers at one point. Some are 7 years old...trying to get the last bit of life out of those puppies. They all live pampered lives in summer drivers anyway.

I clean off the batteries really well- top, sides, bottom- check the ones that aren't completely sealed and top off the water, clean the posts with one of those terminal post cleaners, clean the insides of the connections, and apply a thin coat of regular old axle grease to the electrical connection. I bet anti-seize would work well, too.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/14 9:31 a.m.

I goop 'em up real good with vaseline, works for about 1.5-2 years at a time on my Samurai even in the worst possible conditions, then I need to disassemble the terminals, clean, and re-apply. On a liquid-filled lead-acid battery, felt rings will help.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/7/14 8:00 p.m.

I usually use nothing. I do pressure wash under the hood fairly often. Keeping it clean helps a lot.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/7/14 8:08 p.m.

Vaseline or any #2 chassis grease will work, the trick is the problem comes from a poor seal around the post where it goes through the case(I.E. people overtighten the terminals and crack the case). If you heavily grease the battery top half an inch all around both posts, and the posts themselves, and the terminals all over, and only set the bolts tight enough that you cannot rotate the clamp on the post, it will work.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
7/8/14 7:21 a.m.

I haven't used anything because I haven't had corrosion problems with batteries.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
7/8/14 12:24 p.m.

People still have batteries under the hood of cars?

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
7/8/14 3:08 p.m.

I use regular wheel bearing grease, mixed with some baking soda.
I saturate the little felt rings with that stuff.
Ring over the post, smear grease, place terminal, tighten,
then smear the top with grease to seal the joint between post and terminal.
A plastic flip-up cover prevents accidental grease smears, but that's optional.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
7/8/14 6:45 p.m.

I use permatex spray gasket adhesive on mine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A0ZiEm7rownpliZAuBbGOrAkIcOr2CQsNnUq4V4kENYdrLB42ZEAB38e8r2noMzj