1 2
tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
12/15/14 5:33 a.m.

DD mostly use with some potential for competitive events, under let's say 2k.

Duratec Focus with SVT suspension swap

OR

Saturn SW2 with...

GO!

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/15/14 5:43 a.m.

No RWD?

Aiming for high mpg?

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
12/15/14 6:33 a.m.

Are those the only 2 choices? If so, I'd take the Focus, I think it was a better handling platform from the start. If we can go outside those two, what about a Volvo 850 GLT?

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
12/15/14 6:39 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Are those the only 2 choices? If so, I'd take the Focus, I think it was a better handling platform from the start. If we can go outside those two, what about a Volvo 850 GLT?

No to the Volvo.

Criteria for me is: under budget, reliable, handling, dd manners in that order. Those are two I am working with now and I didn't want the thread exploding with bi turbo posts. Let's just say those unless something super compelling is around.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
12/15/14 6:47 a.m.

I would defiantly say focus, but i am biased lol. Isnt there something different about the wagon rear suspension that makes using the svt stuff a lot more complicated?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
12/15/14 6:50 a.m.

If I remember correctly the SVT suspension won't completely swap under the wagon. The rear on the wagons is different by some amount other than just spring rates.
Edit: I swear I started typing my response before the one above was posted.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers SuperDork
12/15/14 6:52 a.m.

We've had our 03 zetec Focus Wagon for four years and something like 50k (currently has 170k on it) and it has been rock solid reliable. It's used nothing but consumables.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/15/14 6:53 a.m.

I'd take the focus of those two, though an sw2 would be a neat wagon to own. Out of respect for your request I shall bite my tongue at what I perceive the real winner to be.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
12/15/14 6:57 a.m.

Protege 5? I say it because everything from the mazdaspeed protege will bolt up with slim to no modification, budget wise it may be a little high though.

Between the two choices the Ford would probably get it just based on potential for mods.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
12/15/14 7:06 a.m.
mndsm wrote: I'd take the focus of those two, though an sw2 would be a neat wagon to own. Out of respect for your request I shall bite my tongue at what I perceive the real winner to be.

If it's super relevant, is not a bi turbo or a unicorn, let's have it.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
12/15/14 7:13 a.m.

What about VW/Honda wagons?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/15/14 7:18 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
mndsm wrote: I'd take the focus of those two, though an sw2 would be a neat wagon to own. Out of respect for your request I shall bite my tongue at what I perceive the real winner to be.

This?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4803002913.html

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
12/15/14 7:19 a.m.
RossD wrote: What about VW/Honda wagons?

Explored already. Have opinions and both have options which could work.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
12/15/14 7:20 a.m.
EvanB wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
This? http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4803002913.html

I fell asleep trying to make it through the ad.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/15/14 7:22 a.m.

You can have my Protege5 for a bit less than budget.

Mazdaspeed springs, GR2, Brembos Blanks, B&M short shifter, HId conversion, Hella DualTones, Rallysport mudflaps etc.

Guaranteed to out-corner and out-brake any of the above.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
12/15/14 7:35 a.m.

I had a focus wagon. It swore me off the blue oval for good. The decisions I saw that the engineers were forced to make turned it into a turd. It left me stranded on the highway, then a week later did the same to my wife. That was twice in 5 weeks of ownership. I sold the crap-wagon in week 6 and didn't look back.
I have NOTHING good to say about the focus.
What is your price range?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/15/14 7:38 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

I believe he wrote $2k in his initial post.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
12/15/14 7:42 a.m.

Is there anything cheap about old M-B wagons? You can get those under the budget but...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/15/14 7:44 a.m.

What type of competitive events? The Saturn weighs a lot less than the Focus.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/14 8:01 a.m.

I, too, say Protege5 instead.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
12/15/14 8:13 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to DrBoost: I believe he wrote $2k in his initial post.

I see how you are. You expect ME to read his post so I can answer MY OWN questions?!?
It's amazing how in such a short post I missed that haha.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/14 8:13 a.m.

What about a Subaru Legacy Wagon, with parts swapped over from a Legacy GT?

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
12/15/14 8:23 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
EvanB wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
This? http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4803002913.html
I fell asleep trying to make it through the ad.

The ad is junk but the car is great! I want it!!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/15/14 8:23 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: You can have my Protege5 for a bit less than budget. Mazdaspeed springs, GR2, Brembos Blanks, B&M short shifter, HId conversion, Hella DualTones, Rallysport mudflaps etc. Guaranteed to out-corner and out-brake any of the above.

In stock form, probably. I sold an SW2 that would meet that challenge, for under $2K. (The GRM ad just goes to a page with most of the posts missing... weird.)

Given that SW2s usually sell for around $1K, it would not be hard to achieve good cornering/braking for well under budget. Power is the difficult part. If you want to do better than low 15s, you're looking at boost which is not an off-the-shelf solution.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
12/15/14 8:29 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: You can have my Protege5 for a bit less than budget. Mazdaspeed springs, GR2, Brembos Blanks, B&M short shifter, HId conversion, Hella DualTones, Rallysport mudflaps etc. Guaranteed to out-corner and out-brake any of the above.

Considering, but I sm buying when the Leaf lease is up in August so I won't be acting quickly and budget is a moving target, moving downward all the time. Interested, though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pXVizD8BKFe9Dr4VhuOFN9ozSbqV7DIa13dQ87Qd3k1p4a42VkDVhv3lIJ3SgJrH