1 2
AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
7/7/19 9:22 p.m.

Be really careful out there.  I don’t want to sound like that crochety old codger, but it really is worse nowadays.  There are more people on the road, more people from out of town/state/country, and way too many distracted drivers.  

On our Dallas to Denver trip and back we saw a ton of bad driving and way too much social media use by drivers.  

In rural TX east of Amarillo (one place you don’t expect this type of stuff), we had a scary close call.  A white Toyota Corolla was approaching US 287 from a dirt road (county or private road).  An 18 wheeler was in the right lane and I was passing on the left at 75 ( the speed limit).  The Toyota was likely texting or just driving without paying any attention at all.  The Toyota was slowing but by the time I realized they were not stopping, we were all on them.  The Toyota pulled onto the shoulder and half into 18 wheelers lane and almost got destroyed by a 70 mph 40 ton rig.  The 18 wheeler started coming over.  I drive into the dirt (two tires) at 75 to give the 18 wheeler enough room to get by.  It happened wicked fast and was scary as F E36 M3 K.  

The Toyota could've stopped or simply used the full lane width shoulder we have in TX, instead they pulled right in front of a 40 ton truck going 70-73, and damn mear got us all hurt or killed. 

My wife did compliment my reaction and driving skills after.  We stopped in the next town and my heart rate was wind sprint fast.  I waved to the trucker.  I didn’t see the Toyota, but I wasn’t going to wave at them......

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/7/19 9:36 p.m.

Damm. Glad you made it out of that one clean. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/7/19 9:44 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

"West" Texas is particularly bad from your experience and other friends. 

Old college buddy got into an accident when a truck blew a stop sign across a 75 mph county rd in the middle of the night. 

I've seen people pull dumb moves out towards mineral wells in my drives out there. 

I see plenty of stupid stuff in urban areas too.. but there's a disconnect from reality and rules of the road in some rural areas. 

parker
parker Reader
7/7/19 9:58 p.m.

Night before last on Loop 610 in Houston somebody decided to stop.  After all the chaos of the highway coming full stop this person drove across three lanes and exited.  I guess it was easier to endanger their own and dozens of other peoples lives rather than take the next exit and loop around.

Nothing like executing a panic stop and watching the rearview mirror hoping everyone swerves or stops in time.  

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
7/7/19 10:20 p.m.

In reply to parker :

Welcome to town! Next time wave on your way through town

parker
parker Reader
7/7/19 10:23 p.m.

In reply to Strizzo :

I live two hours west.  Just going to the airport.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
7/7/19 10:51 p.m.

In reply to parker :

I could tell you where these people moved to TX from, but that would cause internet rage.  This now happens in DFW too.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/8/19 8:47 a.m.

I was the bad driver this weekend.  Luckily it was in a parking lot and there was no damage or injury, but there was impact because I made a couple of bonehead moves in a row.

It happens to the best of us sometimes.  I was fortunate enough that I picked a mostly-safe place to be an idiot.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
7/8/19 8:50 a.m.

We got stuck on the way home from vacation behind an accident where a drunk driver pulled out without looking from an intersection and got T-Boned.  The drunk driver then got out and assaulted the injured people in the other car.  WTF? 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
7/8/19 8:02 p.m.

All of this only reinforces my driving style which is 'aggressive' vs 'defensive'.....being that the sooner y'all are WAY behind me the better.......for me to evaluate the next 'POD' that I come upon

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/8/19 8:05 p.m.

That sounds like pretty much every day on the DC Beltway, minus the dirt shoulders (there are concrete barriers instead).....and yeah, everyone is on their phones, infotainment, etc. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/8/19 9:32 p.m.

Daughters car was totaled tonight. She was the ping pong ball in a 3 car accident. Driver one was cited by the poliece. Driver 2 was cut-from car. Car number two was hit so hard it hit my daughters car in the side setting off all the airbags and removed the rear suspension from her mazda3.  She is still in hospital but will be ok. Driver #2 is a bit more messed up. Driver one that ran the intersection and caused everything walked away from his Audi s7. At least witnesses helped and staid to give statements. I was a mile from the accident and got there as poliece and emt arrived. 

Ya today sucked. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
7/8/19 9:51 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I'm so glad to hear that your daughter is going to be okay. 

I haven't ever been in such a severe wreck. I wonder if it's too soon to consider legal representation?

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
7/9/19 12:03 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Glad she will be well soon.  All of this is making me think we need self driving cars.  The average person is just too dumb and inattentive anymore.  That’s a scary thought for a libertarian like myself too.  It’s almost Orwellian.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/9/19 6:39 a.m.

As time goes on, I am more and more confident about my decision to get a trailered racecar and a big heavy and safe dd.  

Statement about the DC beltway is accurate, worst driving I have ever seen. When my wife was working in rockville I refused to drive my miata down 355 to visit her at work because I witnessed an accident every time I drove down that road. Knock on wood, I've dodged every accident so far, but in 8 years my wife has been merged into once and rear ended twice.

New cars don't excite me, but they are so many world's better safety wise. Almost too good. Especially ones with systems like AEB and lane keeping on top of modern crashability. I doubt I will give up my old fun cars for occasional drives, but thoughts do happen, especially having a little one.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/9/19 6:50 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

In reply to dean1484 :

Glad she will be well soon.  All of this is making me think we need self driving cars.  The average person is just too dumb and inattentive anymore.  That’s a scary thought for a libertarian like myself too.  It’s almost Orwellian.

It's a chicken-and-egg thing.

I have great respect for how good impact energy management has gotten in modern, computer-assisted chassis design.

But the computer nannies and automation that were brought into the picture due to poor / inattentive driving have done nothing but breed more poor and inattentive drivers.  As those systems get better, drivers get worse.  We all know where this spiral ends, and unfortunately it's NOT with the general public waking up one day and saying "driving can be dangerous, so I should really be careful to do a good job at it."

Once the robot overlords are doing all the driving, safety will go up and we can all crawl back into our phones and coffee.  It's the transitional phase that is so terrible for those of us who always try to do a good job driving in analog.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
7/9/19 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Well said Duke.  It’s sad, but there really isno turning back at this point.

keithedwards
keithedwards New Reader
7/9/19 9:59 a.m.

Regarding nannies breeding worse drivers, I worry about the drivers who "brag" about not bothering to check their mirrors when changing lanes, they just rely upon their lane change warning system...

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/9/19 10:38 a.m.

IIn reply to dean1484 :

Sorry to hear this Dean. This is the recent graduate? Hope she recovers quickly. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
7/9/19 10:39 a.m.

Hope everything works out OK for your daughter , 

Make sure she gets check ups every few months to make sure they did not miss anything....

Good Luck

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/9/19 11:28 a.m.
T.J. said:

IIn reply to dean1484 :

Sorry to hear this Dean. This is the recent graduate? Hope she recovers quickly. 

Nope this is the oldest. She will be 30 this year. Dam I feel old just saying that.  Lol. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/9/19 11:34 a.m.

Better today. Taking her to doc at 2:00. They want to check her out for a concussion and other things and determine a course of recovery. Do you just rest or should she be excersizing stretching so things don’t tighten up. Depends on if there is anything more than bruising especially the neck and back and ribs. There are other bumps and bruises but they are really nothing to worry about.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/9/19 1:08 p.m.

I was half listening to an item about pedestrian and bike collision injury rates going up over the last few years.  Of course , drivers were the evil.  I see a lot of  phones out and headphones on pedestrians and bikers as they blithley interact with the Facebooking drivers...

It usually takes two inattentive people to make a big problem.

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
7/9/19 4:02 p.m.

No area has a monopoly on bad drivers.  I've driven in Houston, Dallas, Boston, New York, Pittsburgh, and now Chicago, and unfortunately they all have their share of E36 M3ty drivers.  In Boston one time I had a car going the opposite direction into a 90 degree blind turn into an expressway (assume he/she went the wrong way...), at night... As the street leading into it is a one way street I usually try to make it a bit of a fun turn, but thankfully I did not that day as it would have been nasty.  

Of course, I've had my share of road rage and stupidity, but certainly nothing as bad as I've seen on the road... 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
7/9/19 4:30 p.m.

We just returned from a 4000 mile loop from AZ-WI and back.  AZ, UT, WY, MT, ND, MN, SD, NE, CO and NM.

The closer we got to any urban center, the worse things got with drivers doing stupid E36 M3.  Not that the rural areas were completely immune, but the frequency was much higher in urban areas.

Except for Colorado.  Pretty much all of CO was bad.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
9k1mponbahat9RXJcMh4bdoWrblb2WlDdK8iYRx2euxoGuIGErmVxQNmY9uU1V4p