June 13, 2012 10:51 a.m.

So my son sends me a text about a car.

Turns out it a New Beetle...

Turbo, gas...

Manual trans...

Supposedly everything works...

Mileage unknown.

$1500

I lean towards VW anyway. And I have looked at NBs years ago. I just didn't think for big money it would be a car I could live with long term... But for $1500
Hmmmm....

93EXCivic UltimaDork
June 13, 2012 10:52 a.m.

$1500 New Beetle what could go wrong.

ReverendDexter UltraDork
June 13, 2012 11:19 a.m.

$1500... what's already wrong?

ScottRA21 Reader
June 13, 2012 11:22 a.m.

$1500... what isn't wrong?

turboswede PowerDork
June 13, 2012 11:26 a.m.

Sounds like a good donor for a mid-engined Locost build. Otherwise? No. Just No.

JThw8 UberDork
June 13, 2012 11:49 a.m.

Generally not a fan of most things volkswagen made after the 84 GTI, but for that price, on that car, I'd own it anyway.

Curmudgeon MegaDork
June 13, 2012 12:19 p.m.
ScottRA21 wrote: $1500... what isn't wrong?

QFT. The car may be $1500, but it's not going to be easy or cheap to keep it running from an electrical standpoint, it is FULL of stupid overpriced but cost cut engineered crap. It could be a reasonable powertrain donor for, say, an early Golf or GTi.

June 13, 2012 12:23 p.m.

Paint it flat black, lower it, and install black steelies with poverty caps. Drive it until something major breaks, then sell it to an ironic hipster.

Travis_K SuperDork
June 13, 2012 1:47 p.m.

My friend bought a tdi one with 300k miles on it for his wife and it has been fine. Not to say they are all perfect and will never have any problems, but its no worse than any other mk4.

petegossett UltraDork
June 13, 2012 5:08 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: ,...but its no worse than any other mk4.

Other than access to the engine compartment, is more restricted, and changing front struts is a PITA.

Carro Atrezzi HalfDork
June 13, 2012 5:19 p.m.

I always hated the NB with a passion. That is until I started dating a women that had one. I was surprised how nice they drive

Travis_K SuperDork
June 13, 2012 5:35 p.m.
petegossett wrote:
Travis_K wrote: ,...but its no worse than any other mk4.

Other than access to the engine compartment, is more restricted, and changing front struts is a PITA.

No, there is plenty of room under the hood. Just remove the wiper arms and that whole plastic cowl comes out then you can pretty much get to everything as easy as a golf or jetta. The struts are as easy to change as any other car except for separating them from the knuckles, but all mk4s are like that.

speedblind Reader
June 13, 2012 5:44 p.m.

Read the thread title and thought something had gone horribly wrong a Beetle. I'll check back in a week.

noddaz Reader
June 13, 2012 9:10 p.m.

Ok, went and saw the car and drove it.. Was hoping for a creampuff, but she is a dirty little scuz. Interior is filthy. Exhaust is bad. The engine has a water leak from "some pipe" per the owner. Aftermarket wheels. Aftermarket stereo. Interior has what are probably the usual crappy plastic issues. Center armrest is broken. Front lower grill is falling off. lower edge of bumper is loose. Accessory belt tensioner makes an interesting sound on starting the engine. CEL is on. 12 pack of Pepsi in the trunk area. The list goes on and on. But she runs and I can hear the turbo spool...

NGTD Dork
June 13, 2012 9:51 p.m.

The NB also has a smaller turbo than any other 1.8T, so you can't push them as hard if you decide to chip it.

June 14, 2012 9:55 a.m.

One snowy night acouple of years ago, right before Valentine's Day, I was coming home from a business trip and ended up flying into an airport about 2 hours from home. Stranded, I went to the rental car counter and asked them what they had left. "A PT Cruiser or a New Beetle". So I held my nose and chose the NB. The first time I'd ever driven one- and near as I can recall, the first time I'd ever been in one, and i had to drive home 2 hours in a snowstorm. There were cars off the road the whole way, but the little Beetle kept on chugging. I put the shifter in manual mode, for more control, and it was actually...fun.

The soon-to-be Mrs and I kept the car all weekend, using it for our Valentine's Day excursion. We were even a little sad to have to return it. It was actually a nice little rental.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: A Dual-Engine Honda CRX and 10 Other Cool Cars Hit the Dyno

1 hour ago in Articles

Back in 1997 we put 11 cool cars on the dyno in search of horsepower and truth.

You Need This: Our Mustang GT CAM-C Project Car

3 hours ago in News

Soon for sale: Our Mustang GT autocross project.

Deal of the Month: Christmas in July!

4 hours ago in News

Get a year of our magazine for just $10.

Your Projects: Smith College's $2017 Challenge Miata

4 hours ago in News

Smith College is entering the Grassroots Motorsports $2017 Challenge

Big News From Mazda's Prototype Racing Effort

12 hours ago in News

This just in: Mazda's prototype racing effort is changing hands.

Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! on Wednesday, July 19: Track Prep Your Daily Plus a Look at the Only Stick Shift GT3 RS

1 day ago in News

Tune in as we discuss pre-event inspection and prep. Also, a special appearance by a very cool Porsche.

Project Ridgeline Tows Home Another Project

1 day ago in Project Cars

We may or may not have gotten sidetracked on our Smoky Mountain Tour.

You Need This: Supercharged Toyota MR2

2 days ago in News

Rebuilt engine? Check. Extra power? Check. Early MR2 cool factor? Double check.

2017 Volvo V90 Cross Country T6 AWD

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

We're keeping the all-wheel-drive wagon theme rolling. We reviewed the Subaru Impreza last week and the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen before ...

Taking on the World Rally Championship With an E30

2 days ago in Articles

Bill Caswell invades the World Rally Championship with a 20-year-old BMW.

Your Projects: UR Quattro Resurrection

2 days ago in News

Team Illuminata is breathing life back into this old Quattro.

Project Turbo Miata: A Fresh Engine for Our Endurance Racer

3 days ago in Project Cars

Our turbocharged Mazda Miata racer gets a new heart.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
wYOg8otgQ7USJbY8lae8anPYyjxOOeSm