1 2
Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/5/19 4:20 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:
spandak said:

In reply to NoviceClass :

They let you track the car like that? I thought you would need a hardtop or roll bar. 

Beautiful car. 

The Boxster has a built in rollbar from the factory.  

It still has to pass the broomstick test, though, right?

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/5/19 5:19 p.m.

I have aero bits on their way.  They should arrive soon.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/5/19 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

Roll bar requirements vary from sanctioning body to sanctioning body, except in New Jersey where the state requires them for anything on a road course.

AnthonyGS
10/5/19 9:17 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
AnthonyGS said:
spandak said:

They let you track the car like that? I thought you would need a hardtop or roll bar. 

Beautiful car. 

Who knows.  I have yet to hear of this “test” being administered or defined in a uniform fashion.  I do know the PCA and TNIA recognize the factory protection as adequate.  There are extenders made by brey krause, etc if raising is needed for your local rules.

I’d rather be upside down in a Boxster than a Cayman or my 996 if I had to be in a rollover.  

dps214
dps214 Reader
10/5/19 10:45 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:
Tom_Spangler said:
AnthonyGS said:
spandak said:

Beautiful car. 

Who knows.  I have yet to hear of this “test” being administered or defined in a uniform fashion.  I do know the PCA and TNIA recognize the factory protection as adequate.  There are extenders made by brey krause, etc if raising is needed for your local rules.

I’d rather be upside down in a Boxster than a Cayman or my 996 if I had to be in a rollover.  

Thanks for reminding me that those rollbar extenders exist, I needed a good laugh today. I'm not sure how much I trust the stock rollbar but I've tracked a Miata with just a hard top so it doesn't really bother me. I'll be running with the hardtop too since I have it and it's probably a little more aerodynamic and the soft top sounds like it's going to blow off over like 90mph. Mine seems to have killed it's second maf sensor in 400 miles today. Guess I should have invested in the Bosch one the first time, or maybe there's enough dirt in the intake that it's just going to keep happening. Like the first one it looked a bit dirty but cleaning it didn't help.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/5/19 10:52 p.m.

Can somebody 6’-5” tall drive one of these comfortably?

Asking because I got a ride in a brand new Panamera Turbo this week.. and I fit quite nicely (aside from getting in and out, that was about as easy as climbing under my kitchen table). 

spandak
spandak Reader
10/5/19 11:43 p.m.

I’m 6’2” and fit well. It depends if you’re tall in the legs or the torso. For reference, I hit the roof of a NC Miata. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/19 7:08 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Can somebody 6’-5” tall drive one of these comfortably?

The third generation cars (2013+?) are much better for tall people.

dps214
dps214 Reader
10/6/19 9:28 a.m.

That's gonna depend on how tall your torso is. I'm 6-1 or 6-2 and all torso and I fit but not terribly comfortably. The 987 and later cars have a more normal shaped cabin and more adjustment to the steering wheel position and are much more tall person friendly. There's a ton of space under the seat though so I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to create a lower seating position.

NoviceClass
NoviceClass New Reader
10/6/19 11:16 a.m.
spandak said:

Beautiful car. 

As discussed they were satisfied with the factory roll bar, there wasn't any talk of a broomstick test. I can't even recall if the Boxster seat would have gotten me low enough to pass one.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/19 11:33 a.m.

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the tall guy thread jack. 

....Back to the topic

Durty
Durty New Reader
10/9/19 9:13 a.m.

Do these require anything for track applications? Or are y'all taking them basically stock?

AnthonyGS
10/9/19 9:36 a.m.
Durty said:

Do these require anything for track applications? Or are y'all taking them basically stock?

This is one of the most loaded questions in the Porsche community.  It basically boils down to the tires, your skills, and the track.  These engines use scavenging pumps to return oil from the cylinder head to the crankcase.  There is one for each head.  In really long sweeping turns at high g with sticky tires, there can be issues.  It's a flat engine.....  think about the g forces.  All the oil races to one head and the pickup and other head get starved for lube.  There are aftermarket deep sumps, but for "racing" I'd invest in an accusump too.  For autoX or a trackday on 200 TW or greater tires, you'll probably be okay.  Tracks like Homestead with big long flat high speed turns are considered the worst.  V engines have gravity to return oil and acoid this issue.  

For autoX, I don't even consider it.  I do have to deep sump kits in my garage to install when time permits.  They also have an improved oil slosh pan that surrounds the pickup.

AnthonyGS
10/9/19 9:38 a.m.

Also as an update my OEM Porsche aero kit is on it's way.  The seller had it insured for full value with AIG.  It's a GT3 front end, side skirts and fixed rear spoiler.  I hope to have it painted and installed over the winter.  I will also do lots of other maintenance things....  may be a P car build / maintenance thread soon.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
10/9/19 4:46 p.m.

Anthony, what type sump kit do you have? Some add .5 qt., another ads 2 qts. Also, seems most owners don't fill to the top of the dipstick due to oil infiltrating where it shouldn't. Suggestions? And is the oil level gauge on the dash reliable? I have it at one notch below full.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_search_2016.cgi?command=DWsearch&description=deep+sumps

AnthonyGS
10/9/19 6:21 p.m.

I'm going to install a 0.5 qt extension with the EBS racing X51 style baffle with metal doors.  There are complaints of overfilling causing smoking at the track.  I will probably fill to the mid point on the dipstick once I go with the sump extension.  Be careful with the 2qt extensions because ground clearance may be an issue.  You can add a skid plate too.  Use dribond on the pan.  It's the OEM sealant as far as most figure.  

AnthonyGS
10/9/19 6:23 p.m.

I'm also going to install the IMS solution, water pump, fresh RMS and maybe a new clutch disc and probably do the AOS too.  I will probably do spark plugs and tubes too.  I may just drop the engine for all this.  Then I figure if it blows up at an HPDE at least I tried to be proactive.  

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/19 6:58 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Also as an update my OEM Porsche aero kit is on it's way.  The seller had it insured for full value with AIG.  It's a GT3 front end, side skirts and fixed rear spoiler.  I hope to have it painted and installed over the winter.  I will also do lots of other maintenance things....  may be a P car build / maintenance thread soon.

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

AnthonyGS
10/9/19 7:01 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

LOL no newsletter.  I will stick a P car projects topic in the builds forum.  I'm going to put the new mufflers on the 996 this weekend and exhaust tips.  I have 2/3rd of a body kit for it too.  I will order the front bumper this December.  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/10/19 9:06 a.m.

Late to the party.  I've had my 99 base auto for over three years now.  I paid $5k for it at 72K miles with a brand new engine having been fitted by Porsche at 56K miles.  IT was worth it for the engine alone even with two pedals.  But the older I get the more I like autos, even if this isn't the best.  Car covered here.  Currently off the road per this thread.  With having been out of work, started a job, sick elderly inlaws, traveling and buying three other cars this summer it's sat now for several months.  Hope to get back to it within a month.  As I've been unsuccessful in diagnosing what's wrong I'm going to put it back together, tow it to an Indy shop with the correct diagnosis equipment and pay them to find out what's wrong.  I'll then bring it home and fix it myself.  

dps214
dps214 Reader
10/28/19 10:59 a.m.

Survived an hour of track time at mid ohio this weekend and was way more fun than a ~$5k car on 5 year old tires has any right to be, and even reasonably fast. Ran cooler than it usually does driving around town, though I'm probably happy it doesn't have an oil temp gauge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl8xeLpaX7A

enginenerd
enginenerd Reader
10/28/19 6:50 p.m.
dps214 said:

Survived an hour of track time at mid ohio this weekend and was way more fun than a ~$5k car on 5 year old tires has any right to be, and even reasonably fast. Ran cooler than it usually does driving around town, though I'm probably happy it doesn't have an oil temp gauge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl8xeLpaX7A

Awesome. I'd like to try mine out at Mid Ohio. I was there this weekend racing ITA.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TKRixcTOVFOTIqmTOpJ5hAzLmdYk4SzxrJ7mRNlhMSfOdXSSy2U7UzSqrpVCS2tw