1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/27/11 4:56 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Dare I say, the 5 should be part of the Trifecta?

Put me down for a yes vote...

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
10/27/11 5:26 p.m.

I'm looking at one tomorrow. I'm thinking this and my diesel rabbit will cover most eventualities.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/11 5:30 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
Javelin wrote: Dare I say, the 5 should be part of the Trifecta?
Put me down for a yes vote...

Why did it only rain on your Miata?

Definitely a GRM driveway there. Needs a P71, an Astro, and a Cherokee in the back yard.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/27/11 6:03 p.m.

I drove this exact (same paint job) Astro for years (back when they were new.)

I have had these too but no P71 or Cherokee.
Each one deserving its own vote to be in the Trifecta.

Javelin
11/5/11 10:06 a.m.

Used the roof rack:

Had to go to the home improvement tore for supplies to build and hang a gutter on our shed. The roof rack made it super easy to bring home the 10 foot sections. It stopped raining as I finished the install…

FlightService
FlightService Dork
11/5/11 7:27 p.m.

My wife is wanting something a little more off road friendly, so out Mazda5 will be on the market soon.

2008 Touring 70K

Dark Blue exterior with Black interior.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
11/5/11 7:51 p.m.
FlightService wrote: My wife is wanting something a little more off road friendly, so out Mazda5 will be on the market soon. 2008 Touring 70K Dark Blue exterior with Black interior.

I'll give you $2012!

FlightService
FlightService Dork
11/5/11 7:54 p.m.

I'll take your $2012. How generous of you.

But I won't give you the 5.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
11/6/11 12:18 a.m.

And there we have it, the crux of the matter. Really cool car, but not cool enough to spend 5-10 challenge builds on..

YET

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
11/6/11 6:43 a.m.
FlightService wrote: My wife is wanting something a little more off road friendly, so out Mazda5 will be on the market soon. 2008 Touring 70K Dark Blue exterior with Black interior.

5-speed???

Javelin
11/6/11 7:57 a.m.
Vigo wrote: And there we have it, the crux of the matter. Really cool car, but not cool enough to spend 5-10 challenge builds on.. YET

Sorry, but not all of us are willing to send our wife and/or children around in $2000 25-year old POS's held together with bailing wire and duct tape. I'd rather not have to rescue my family on the side of the road, and furthermore I can't afford play cars if I don't make it to work, which is hard to do on a daily basis when you drive nothing but crap. Spending decent money for a family car or two is a heck of a lot smarter than you think it is.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
11/6/11 8:45 a.m.

I bought a 2006 Dodge Magnum with 77k miles on it for $4500 in perfect condition. Airbags, abs, traction control, stability control, 3600 lbs of metal, and 25 mpg. Im pretty sure it would win bumper cars vs a 5, if you want to put it that way..Fiancee drives it.

That's still only 2-3 challenge builds. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to not pay ~10k for one (at that time), but i'll jump through a lot of hoops to not spend 10k...that's just a personal thing i guess.

Javelin
11/6/11 10:41 a.m.
Vigo wrote: I bought a 2006 Dodge Magnum with 77k miles on it for $4500 in perfect condition. Airbags, abs, traction control, stability control, 3600 lbs of metal, and 25 mpg. Im pretty sure it would win bumper cars vs a 5, if you want to put it that way..Fiancee drives it. That's still only 2-3 challenge builds. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to not pay ~10k for one (at that time), but i'll jump through a lot of hoops to not spend 10k...that's just a personal thing i guess.

Considering Magnum's are still $10-$14K right now, you obviously got a special deal or it was an accident write-off. Using your not-a-normal purchase is in no way indicative of what the actual market is. Anybody can go buy a 5 for $9-$10K off of a dealer lot, right now. You can't even do that with a Magnum. You haven't proved anything.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
11/6/11 9:48 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

Yes it is a 5-speed!

But I think you also mean with a third pedal, so no.

2008 was the first year for the 5 speed auto and the rear AC. Which the touring has. Along with the sun roof and LED tail lights.

Wifey car and she says no manuals. :(

Vigo
Vigo Dork
11/6/11 11:41 p.m.

Yeah, special deal.. just like most of my purchases, but that's a tedious game to play. Sometimes people need a car right now.

Anyway, my point was that even though i got my car for only 2-3 challenge builds i still dont go around calling it grassroots. I wont do that until they are reliably in the $2k region. I do really like the mazda5 (at least the old style like yours) but i think tuna and flightservice's two posts above mine illustrate that while it is cool and COULD fit into the 'cool kids club' that the e30, miata, astro, cherokee, p71 etc occupy if it was the same price, it wont get there for a while.

A cool car, but on different terms than those other ones because you cant get it cheap. yet.

If i had come across a $4k mazda5 before the magnum, i would have bought it, thats for sure.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
11/7/11 6:48 a.m.

yeah the Mazda5 is holding it's resale value very very well. I am surprised.

when I actually clean it up I know it will sell quick, thinking of taking it to my local stealer ship, they have a pathfinder my wife might like.

Javelin
11/7/11 8:27 a.m.
Vigo wrote: Anyway, my point was that even though i got my car for only 2-3 challenge builds i still dont go around calling it grassroots.

Have you seen the word "Grassroots" used anywhere in this thread? Yeah, didn't think so.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/7/11 9:12 a.m.

I want more info on how to beat up Car dealers to sell me a good condition 77K mile vehicle for ~$2000 below wholesale. I mean seriously. I am going to be buying a used truck soon and this technique could come in handy.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
11/7/11 10:15 a.m.
Have you seen the word "Grassroots" used anywhere in this thread? Yeah, didn't think so.
I'll give you $2012!

Probably was another thread. Maybe if i was targeting all my posts at you instead of just talking about the car i would now feel the need to retract something.

I want more info on how to beat up Car dealers to sell me a good condition 77K mile vehicle for ~$2000 below wholesale. I mean seriously. I am going to be buying a used truck soon and this technique could come in handy.

First step... dont EVER buy from a dealer.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
11/7/11 11:36 a.m.

I do this quite frequently for friends and am starting my own buisness at it. I can get it close to auction but the car has to be DOL (dead on the lot) for at least 60-90 days and getting ready for auction. I will pull the auction values from the previous week and present the evidence.

Usually a few bucks lower than KBB (Kelly's Bull$hit Book)

Best deal to date is $200 lower than true invoice with hold back on a 4 door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited base. He had to drive 400 miles to get it but it was worth the $3000K he saved local.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
11/7/11 11:42 a.m.
FlightService wrote: I do this quite frequently for members of the Grassroots Motorsports forum and would gladly save any of you thousands when purchasing your next vehicle!

Wow! Thanks!

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
11/7/11 12:02 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Kid tested, GRM Approved! 2 Adults + 2 car seats + 2 empty sets + stuff! The versatility and space available in this thing make it invaluable for parenting. Dare I say, the 5 should be part of the Trifecta?

not to take anything away from the 5, but there's too many other good cars in the world.

imirk
imirk Reader
11/7/11 12:44 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote:
Javelin wrote: Kid tested, GRM Approved! 2 Adults + 2 car seats + 2 empty sets + stuff! The versatility and space available in this thing make it invaluable for parenting. Dare I say, the 5 should be part of the Trifecta?
not to take anything away from the 5, but there's too many other good cars in the world.

Too True a Trifecta isn't nearly enough :P need 7 cars minimum.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
11/7/11 2:47 p.m.

If it were 5 vehicles it could be known as The Pentaverate.

imirk
imirk Reader
11/7/11 2:58 p.m.

The Septaverate? (7) The Dodecaverate? (12)

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HXkAQK93JlIbNkZkZgD6OrNcTyoIjuw4BG4qKt6HUysOi299tgFm1b6DAhrBTsnx